News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Caterham Super Seven JPE

Started by Zapper, March 23, 2021, 03:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cas

Yeah!  I had posted there before. I'll make another post in that thread to push it up and to add some insight
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Zapper

Cas, with the recent "great" news from the "Color changing of the needle" post I could finally get a black colored needles, maintaining the "original" lime yellow backgroud color!

So I edit the Caterham's RES file parameter 0D4h (one of the stated "Unknown parameter" in Stunts wiki page) from value "10h" to "00h" and using Stunts 1.1 mod 1.0

Here are the results:

I've also attached a preliminary release of the of "Caterham Super Seven JPE v1.1m" specifically for this mod.

Daniel3D

The beauty of CAS solution is that for the old version of the game it doesn't change. So you don't have to make a special edition for the mod. Only an update.
It was Ryoma his post that made me look at the code and find the variable. It was CAS that saw the modification potential then.
But it was the Super 7 that made us look for ways to actually do it. CAS did all the programming and I could compile and test, and we just planned a moment to both be awake to do this together.
CAS started at around 8PM (my time zone) I posted our first partial success at 10PM. It was done at midnight. 14 loops of changing, compiling, testing and analysing.  8)

Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Cas

Yes!  I'm glad it worked well and it's great to see it in action on custom cars :D

After we achieved this with Daniel3D, I started trying a few options to make the needles separately configurable, but when I passed those to Daniël, it didn't seem to work well. I now have made a another, less intrusive version of that and we have to test it. Hopefully, it'll work well. If it does, it'll be compatible with the previous version of the patch, so no need to change the cars a second time.

Zapper

The solution implemented by you, Cas and Daniel3D (and everyone involved) on this update "mod 1.0" seams to be simple and have low risk (or no risk at all), like all the best solutions! ;)
Congratulations for your excellent work!

Regarding the possibility to get a different needle color I think that it is a bit unusual in real cars, making this possible for me is not so useful as make a possibility to use a digital tachometer like it is actually possible on the speedometer. (sorry for another mod suggestion ;) it would be great to have it on KITT dashboard  ;D)

Daniel3D

Some cars have a red tachometer and a white speedometer. And the solution is almost as noninvasive as the first.
It uses bites that are standard 16(White) and 00(black) for speed and tacho respectively.
Basically, if the second byte is 00, then both needles are the colour of the first byte. If the second byte is non-zero, then the speed-o-meter is the colour of the first byte and the tach-o-meter is the colour of the second byte.
What it means is that colour 00(black) is only available for the tach-o-meter if the speed-o-meter colour is also zero. All other colours can be configured separately.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Daniel3D

Making a digital tachometer is more intrusive. But should be possible.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Cas

Well, yes, now it works! :)  If we didn't do it, the high byte of Red #5 was not used for anything, so this kind of had to be done  ;D

About the digital tach-o-meter, yes, like Daniel3D says, that's more complex and more likely to destabilise the code, but I have thought of it and had mentioned it before. I think that, with some practice, it can be done. Because the code is already there and the information necessary uses the same fields, there's no reason to make it impossible.

CTG

Design: 10/10 (Zapper's quality)
Handling: 6/10 (way too fast in corners compared to its top speed, something is strange with shifting... I can't define the problem yet...)
Adventure: 4/10 (I find it rather boring to drive)