News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Questions about the game

Started by alanrotoi, April 08, 2022, 05:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanrotoi

Later I'll upload the answers to the wiki because I think they are important but hard to find.
1) how many cars the game allows at max?
2) how many tracks per folder the game allows?
3) how many replays?

Fun fact: if you press "P" in the list of tracks or replays it will pause the game instead of searching the files wich starts with P.

Ps: please answer, not a joke.

KyLiE

1. 32
2. 128
3. 128

The game will only read 128 tracks or replays in the same directory, however you can save more than this.  It also doesn't matter if you have 128 tracks, high score files and replays in the same directory.

Daniel3D

But you can access sub-directories from within the game.
I don't know how many sub-directories the game supports (128?, 256?). But in the late nineties I had over 2000 tracks divided into groups, all accessable.

It was difficult to navigate because  you have to know the directory name. I started therefore with ranking  the tracks, 5 length variants and within  5 difficulty variants to easy navigate. Each could have 128 tracks. So 3200 tracks possible. But I don't think I ever finished it.

Short would be 1 and easy also 1
So a short easy track would be in directory 11.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

afullo

Quote from: alanrotoi on April 08, 2022, 05:24:24 AM
Fun fact: if you press "P" in the list of tracks or replays it will pause the game instead of searching the files wich starts with P.

I'm curious whether is there a way to escape it, possibly by keeping also Shift pressed or something similar. Or if, rather, the pause overrides every combination of keys... :D

Regarding limitations, I remember this old post by Duplode:

Quote from: Duplode on March 14, 2014, 01:31:28 AM
Strictly speaking, the limit is 256 files. That only corresponds to 128 tracks if you have high score files for all of them, so your ZakStunts archive directory will be fine as long as you don't drive the tracks. Incidentally, Competition Archive competition directories have to be split at ~80 tracks, as each track is usually accompanied by at least one replay.

alanrotoi

Thank you! I'll add it in the wiki somewhere. Is there another useful question it should be added?

KyLiE

Strictly speaking, the limit is 256 files. That only corresponds to 128 tracks if you have high score files for all of them, so your ZakStunts archive directory will be fine as long as you don't drive the tracks. Incidentally, Competition Archive competition directories have to be split at ~80 tracks, as each track is usually accompanied by at least one replay.

I don't think this is correct.  If you try to access a directory with 256 tracks or replays, the game will crash regardless if there are high score files present or not.  However, if you try to access a directory with 128 tracks, 128 high score files and 128 replays, there aren't any issues.  That's 384 files in total and you can still save more, but you can't read them.

Cas

I'll do what I always love doing: I'll guess, ha, ha.

I suspect Stunts does this: it creates an array to hold the files it's going to use. This array can always only contain 128 entries. If you are browsing tracks, Stunts will load track file names there. If you're browsing replays, it will browse replays instead. As long as you don't have more than 128 of the type that is going to be read, it won't crash. Sub-directories in Stunts are not listed. Instead, you can enter them directly and only one level of depth is allowed, so I think you can have as many sub-directories as your OS allows.

On a side note, I have just tested and confirmed that indeed, you can press Shift+P and Stunts takes you to the tracks or replays beginning with "P". If you press "P" alone, it pauses.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

alanrotoi

Quote from: Cas on April 08, 2022, 09:38:29 PM

On a side note, I have just tested and confirmed that indeed, you can press Shift+P and Stunts takes you to the tracks or replays beginning with "P". If you press "P" alone, it pauses.

Side note?? You solve a problem I have since 1993 because my brother started to name his tracks "Max1", "max2" because his name is Maximiliano but I'm Patricio... with P :( no "P" tracks were ever created!. So I chose Yakarta1, Yakarta2, etc... ("Djakarta" in Spanish).

Duplode

Quote from: KyLiE on April 08, 2022, 03:02:28 PM

I don't think this is correct.  If you try to access a directory with 256 tracks or replays, the game will crash regardless if there are high score files present or not.  However, if you try to access a directory with 128 tracks, 128 high score files and 128 replays, there aren't any issues.  That's 384 files in total and you can still save more, but you can't read them.

I don't remember clearly what led me to describe the situation like that -- I guess I must have oversimplified things after some sort of misadventure.

Quote from: Cas on April 08, 2022, 09:38:29 PM

Very nice!  :D

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the title of the ZCT242 track, from ZakStunts season 2021?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview