News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Flaming Exhaust - Live race event (2022-07-03)

Started by Overdrijf, June 17, 2022, 08:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overdrijf

On behalf of Cas and myself I have the honor of inviting you to the Flaming Exhaust event, a double live race, taking place on Sunday the 3rd of July, at 13:00 UTC, which corresponds to:
Sunday 10:00 Buenos Aires
Sunday 15:00 Budapest
Sunday 23:00 Brisbane

The races will be run using the "Le Stunts" format, where you have 12 minutes of realtime to produce a replay of 8 minutes in length. Replay handling is allowed, but every time you rewind eats into that clock!

As the last race did, we included an element to honor the last live race winner: alanrotoi. This is why the first race I present today will be run with his Lola Cosworth INDY, a fabulous fast car with slightly tricky steering, a wonderful balance between realism and gameplay. Everyone drives a different paintjob, so reserve yours fast! ;D

The track for this race will be The Journey. As I prepare for the 7th move in my adult life, I made a track that passes by the 5 towns and cities I lived in (plus 5 more I only worked in.) Fun fact about this track: counting 5 people per boat, barn or mill, 10 per bar and gas station and 50 per apartment block, this real world inspired map can handle the population density of the real area.

The route for this track is: at every split, go straight. Shortcuts are allowed as long as you don't pass any scenery elements (buildings, trees) on the wrong side.

Layout inspired by a trick ZdnBurns posted in the thread of the last live trace.

The other track for this event is a musically inspired masterpiece: The Alan Parsons Project. A challenging track that will test the drivers to their limits as they try to keep their finishing time within 12 minutes.

Are you confused yet, at how to handle a live race on all that? I know I am! Hills, slaloms, elevated corners, a loop over the water, what madness!

We're also keeping a little bit of hype up our sleeves for this one. We will unveil our car pick and maybe one or two additional rules later. ;) Okay, one car-hint: we will be going fast.

As always we will be looking for volunteers to make a single last minute change to the tracks (a track element or nearby scenery) as an anti-cheat measure. I personally would prefer volunteers who don't like placing slaloms. 8)

So, are you hyped, pipsqueaks? Are you ready for a double dose of live racing action? Will you be there? We will. See you on the tracks.

Speedy greetings,

Cas and Overdrijf

alanrotoi

Quote from: Overdrijf on June 17, 2022, 08:55:13 PM
So, are you hyped, pipsqueaks?

So much!!  ;D
Let me add something. I would not use the initial banked road because that jump could make a difference between automatic and manual transmission. Also if somebody has a better shifting will also have an advantage. Just something non-jumping thing would be more fair.

It will be cool!! Can't wait :D

Overdrijf

Quote from: alanrotoi on June 17, 2022, 09:07:44 PM
Let me add something. I would not use the initial banked road because that jump could make a difference between automatic and manual transmission. Also if somebody has a better shifting will also have an advantage. Just something non-jumping thing would be more fair.

Sounds like a good choice for the last minute change. A regular straight piece does not work with the trick unfortunately, but there are several other options.

alanrotoi

You can use this element. It won't be connected to the real track and you have a paved road from the middle of the square.

alanrotoi

Wait a minute... is that map the Netherlands? I just realized :D

dreadnaut

Frieshansen

Thanks for organizing! I will also take part.

KyLiE

I'm in! :) I'd also like to reserve the attached paint job for the Lola Cosworth Indy.

Overdrijf

Quote from: alanrotoi on June 17, 2022, 09:41:12 PM
You can use this element. It won't be connected to the real track and you have a paved road from the middle of the square.

I well you what: you can make the last minute modification if you don't tell people exactly what it's going to be.

Overdrijf

I forgot to actually attach the tracks. ;D Added them now!

Frieshansen

Please reserve the attached paintjob for me.

dreadnaut

The green-with-red-details livery for me, please!

Nice tracks! "The Journey" feels very "Formula 1", and the junctions are usually easy to follow. Except one bit, in the attachment below: I found the extra wavy road confusing while driving, maybe it could bit improved / cut out?

"A.P.P." is a cruel one, in particular the first half :D  Makes for a nice race on the edge of your seat! One detail here as well: the hill eats into the banked corner, and the car sometimes glitches out without warning. Might be worth adding one more hill square to avoid that.

Daniel3D

Quote from: alanrotoi on June 17, 2022, 09:42:04 PM
Wait a minute... is that map the Netherlands? I just realized :D
Well it definitely is 😊
Quite a good representation to.
Only the big River are actually several rivers flowing through the country in roughly the same direction.
I live in between them.
So basically overdrijf has flooded my house with this map  ;D
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Daniel3D

Quote from: dreadnaut on June 18, 2022, 10:59:51 AMI found the extra wavy road confusing while driving, maybe it could bit improved / cut out?
The extra road here represents the border between the Netherlands and Belgium. So I has a design purpose. I feel it must stay, but maybe some pieces can be inverted or something to be less confusing.

But it is not that confusion. If you drive the right way around it is quite straightforward.
QuoteThe route for this track is: at every split, go straight.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

alanrotoi

Thank you for honouring me! I sign up for light blue/black paintjob :D