News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

VOTE for a change in the ranking system.

Started by ZakKrack, March 07, 2002, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaqrack

There was this problem with Argammon`s replay this month, and he isn`t satisfied with the ranking system. I received some negative comments about it before, and I have some problems with it too. So now you can vote for changes. Either by sending it here w/wo your comments, or in mail to my addrsss.

You can also post here your own version. Vote ends with the end of march.

1. Don`t take the competition deadly serious, and send in your fresh times always. Then the other send it too, and we have a nice competition. I`ve made this quiet day rule, so there is only about 1% possibility, that your final replay may get lost, if you send it on the last evening. This verison means no changes in the rules, but in your mind.

2. Same as up here, but we could have a new rule, that I`ll update all the scoreboards on the 3rd day of the new month, and then will I publish the winner`s replays too. I won`t update any scoreboards between the first and the third day. 3 days should be enough for all mails to arrive in my mailbox. If you want, I`ll publish my mobile number on the site, and turn on my ICQ on these days, so you can make sure your replay arrives. ;-)

3. Every pipsqueak must send a replay every week at least. I find this stupid, but if you want it...

4. In the ranking system only the points count, the average ranking doesn`t, BUT in exchange a season lasts only 3 months. That solves all the problems too, but the awards will lost their values, and winning a season won`t worth so much too. It also eliminates the hope of weaker pipsqueaks to achieve at least a middle-class result when they race frequently.

This is a vote. Think about, and choose one. I`m voting for number 2.  

I`m available in the chat room today from around 8pm...

Zak

Anonymous

As I see it, we need to have a change in our minds. We have to start sending replays regularly and not just once in a month. I?m voting for solution number one.

P.S. IMHO the quiet-day rule is unnecessary and complicated.There should just be a strict dead-line. It?s everyones risk if he sends his replay on the last day.  

Bonzai Joe

About the first idea: I always send in my fresh replays, EXCEPT if I find a big shortcut and no one else has found it. Just like last month. I don't want to give it away that there is a shortcut. But as you probably noticed, I sent in a non-shortcut replay instead.

About #1, it is a beautiful thought, but I just don't think you can force people to do it. So I vote for #2, but it doesn't solve the "no contest" problem.

Argammon

Q:EXCEPT if I find a big shortcut and no one else has found it. Just like last month. I don't want to give it away that there is a shortcut

A:Not true,Bismarck drove exactly the same way you did and send in his time way earlier.The only reason you did hold back your time was to get a better chance to win.

Other topics:

1)1 replay a week: senseless because pipsqueaks could just send in a crappy time to fullfill the requirements!

Here is my suggestion,and I really think it's a good one because it solves all problems:

There will be extra points during the month:

After 10 days the leader gets 3 the 2nd 2 and the 3rd 1 point.

Same procedure after 20 days.

At the end of the month the scoring system is as usual:

Here is an example

after 10 days: 1Roy

2Bonzai

3Bismarck

after 20 days   1Roy

2Bismarck

3Bonzai

end of month: 1 Pershing

2 Roy

3  Bismarck

4 Bonzai

5-10 other drivers.

Final score: 1Roy 15 points 2 Bismarck points11 3 Pershing 10 points ...........

The names are just examples,As you can see Roy and Bismarck would have more points than pershing bc Pershing waited until the last day to send in his replay,but Pershing would still have  a relativly 'good' position.

Please consider it

zaqrack

when we use this way, the top 5 drivers (who have the 3 leading places usually) would be waaaay before the others, and that`d be unfair.  

I`ll think about a refined version based on this.

Zak

Bonzai Joe

First of all: I found the shortcut weeks before Bismarck, and I had driven 1.06.00 when Bismarck sent in his 1.08.85. And what did you expect? Of course I hold back times to get a better chance to win, you do it for some other reason??

About the scoring system, the only thing it does is split the month into three. This means we will see replays 3 times a month instead of 1. Hooray!

But it creates a lot of other problems... First of all it makes the ranking system unnecessarily complicated. Second of all it means that we would all have to sit by the screen and play Stunts even more than we already do, because we have 3 checkpoints per month. And thirdly, as Zak says, all of those people who have no chance to get in top 3 would lose a lot more points, and therefore probably leave the contest. In my opinion, the more the merrier, so that would be sad...

Argammon

Try to use your brain please.I know this is racing but thinking does not hurt either.

You have no idea nor a clue what I was talking about.Nor did you actually think about it.

You would be HALF and only HALF correct if you would get 10 bonus points every 10 days.

But the bonus points are only 1-3 or even less!

Ok again:

After the 1st bonus points have been given away a REAL contest will begin bc most drivers will already have driven very good times to gain the bonus points.And there is plenty of time to maximise those times until the end of the month!

W/o the bonus times everyone will just send in *some* time at the end of the month w/o a real competition.My system solves that problem.

Is it soooo hard to understand?

Regarding your time.Either you did not read what I was writing or you are just ignoring it.

You said you DON't hold back times ONLY if YOU found a shortcut NOONE else found!!

Bismarck obviously FOUND it and send it in very early.So we don't have to worry WHO found it 1st.But you STILL hold back the time to gain an advantage.And this CONTRADICTS what you said in your post BEFORE.

Got it?

DukeBismarck

I vote for Number One !

But Argammon's Idea is not so bad, but a little bit complex.

Maybe there should only be some BonusPoints for the driver, who stays for the longest time on top of the list. So everyone will be motivated to sent in better times to prevend it. But this means more work for Zak, so it's on him to decide it.

Just one sentence to the last month: It wasn't very exciting to see all the faster times on the finished table without any chance to react to it. All of you, that sent in these times so late have ruined an very exciting battle over the last 1 or 2 weeks, that would be possible. Maybe we had cracked the Minute-Border, but it's over.

So let's prevent such Situations in the future.

juank 23

i think the number 2 is a fair way to compete

Bonzai Joe

Why don't I use my brain? Well, I don't have one, I only know how to oppose your opinions and how to send in replays late and be a very unfair competition player. All of this is instinct, I was born with it, they are reflexes, like the need for food and sex and such.

It is of course clear to anyone at this point (I might as well admit it) that my favorite thing to do is to lie about something and then pretend that everything I said was true. I am also 100% egoist. Everything I do, I do to hurt other people. I don't care if I or anyone else gains anything, as long as I can see people suffer. That is of course the main reason why I chose to send in my replay at the last minute.

Also I suffer from a very dangerous disease, Argammonitis. The effect of it is that I sometimes have different views on topics than the mighty Argammon. Of course this should not be tolerated, because clearly there is nothing more stupid than to question a theory of the great Argammon. But I can't help it, it's a disease.

I hope now you understand why I'm such a jerk, but please don't blame me for it.

Argammon

I don't care if you don't have the same opinion as I have but I still wonder how you can express a different opinion ignoring all pro's of my suggestions.

I wrote a relativly 'agressive' reply (not replay :P) because ignoration of facts is not really helpfull if you want to express an opposing opinion.

'it just cuts the month in 3' is senseless,not true and can very easily be proven wrong .It's a no brainer.

Sorry

Bonzai Joe

However you turn and twist it, there is still no reason for anyone to send replays (not replies)in at other times than those three days of the month.

Argammon

OK look at this month contest:

The only one who send in a decent time was bismarck.After the 1st day those holding back good times would have already all send them in so there would be a real competition the rest of the month.  

There would be a time to 'aim' at.

PLease at least try to understand it.

ben snel

I plead GUILTY

of course I dont know if my replay this month will be the winning time, but because it was so good, I held it back. I can only hope that you can understand just a tinyweenielittle bit that for a driver like me, finishing always around 5th place, the drive to end at a better place this month was just TOO powerfull.....

won't happen again, I promise!

Bonzai Joe

Sounds interesting   To be honest, I don't understand all this. There's a reason why they call it a competition.