News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Le Stunts, nothing for cowards

Started by Anonymous, July 08, 2002, 10:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

Ideas and misc. questions

• Posting the partial replays publicly to the forum sounds like a good idea. A fun alternative might be stuntschallenge, specially if we wanted an audience (too bad that it is not exactly real-time).
  • If I understood it correctly, driver changes would work like this: pipsqueak A posts his incomplete replay to the forum; pipsqueak B downloads it from the forum and continues it for three further laps; and so on. Before the end of the race, therefore, it is expected that each incomplete replay will have been downloaded exactly one time.
  • We could use the forum chatroom during the race, not only for flaming but also to coordinate driver changes: the pipsqueaks would use it to tell his team mates that a replay has just been posted, so that the next pipsqueak can go to the race thread and get it ASAP with minimal fuss (i.e., without hitting F5 every five seconds or having to deal with e-mails).
  • Should there be any kind of track preview? There are several options here: releasing a version of the track with modified scenery 24h beforehand; doing the same but only a few minutes before the race (as in the old F1 warm-up sessions); leaking just a spy photo or a TrackBlaster map; or nothing at all.
  • Will the track have a literal pit lane, Z75-style, with literal pit stops for the driver changes?
  • Assuming that more pipsqueaks will join, should we allow both teams of 2 and teams of 3 or have only teams of two except for a single trio if there is an odd number of competitors? (Or some other scheme?)
  • Connection and upload issues wouldn't be too much of a worry IMO; they are akin to mechanical DNFs in Le Mans  ;D (If we have both duos and trios that might mean a slight advantage to 3-pipsqueak teams: if B's connection fails A can hand the wheel to C instead and pray that B can return in time.)

---

Quote from: CTG on October 09, 2012, 09:49:03 AM
This weekend?

In principle, that's OK for me. I wonder if there are more pipsqueaks who would like to join the four of us, though.

CTG

Odd number of applicants ---> CTG will be a substitute of any teams.

Chulk

Weekend is long, what time would it be (GMT)?
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

Quote from: Chulk on October 09, 2012, 04:42:27 PM
Weekend is long, what time would it be (GMT)?

It depends on Zak (if he wants to participate), as he's in China.

Chulk

If Zak takes part it will be hard to find a suitable time... 11 hours between China and Argentina/Brazil is a lot!

CTG

How many file transfers would be optimal? I have different rules in my mind for each cases.

Example 1
Track: ~50 seconds (first lap ~60)

N x 2 laps relay
pipsqueak A: 2 laps (~1:50)
pipsqueak B: 2 laps (~3:30)
pipsqueak A: 2 laps (~5:10)
pipsqueak B: 2 laps (~6:50)
pipsqueak A: ~1.5 laps

pipsqueak A: 5.5 laps, pipsqueak B: 4 laps, 4 transfers (too much), not enough balanced

N x 3 laps relay
pipsqueak A: 3 laps (~2:40)
pipsqueak B: 3 laps (~5:10)
pipsqueak A: 3 laps (~7:40)
it's useless to forward...

pipsqueak A: 6 laps, pipsqueak B: 3 laps, 2 transfers, not enough balanced

N x 4 laps relay
pipsqueak A: 4 laps (~3:30)
pipsqueak B: 4 laps (~6:50)
pipsqueak A: almost 1.5 laps

pipsqueak A: 5.5 laps, pipsqueak B: 4 laps, 2 transfers, not enough balanced

N x 5 laps relay
pipsqueak A: 5 laps (~4:20)
pipsqueak B: 4.5 laps

1 transfer, quite balanced, maybe a bit boring

Example 2
Track: ~40 seconds (first lap ~50)

N x 2 laps relay
pipsqueak A: 2 laps (~1:30)
pipsqueak B: 2 laps (~2:50)
pipsqueak A: 2 laps (~4:10)
pipsqueak B: 2 laps (~5:30)
pipsqueak A: 2 laps (~6:50)
pipsqueak B: almost 2 laps

pipsqueak A: 6 laps, pipsqueak B: almost 6 laps, 5 transfers (way too much), balanced

N x 3 laps relay
pipsqueak A: 3 laps (~2:10)
pipsqueak B: 3 laps (~4:10)
pipsqueak A: 3 laps (~6:10)
pipsqueak B: almost 3 laps

pipsqueak A: 6 laps, pipsqueak B: almost 6 laps, 3 transfers, balanced

N x 4 laps relay
pipsqueak A: 4 laps (~2:50)
pipsqueak B: 4 laps (~5:30)
pipsqueak A: almost 4 laps

pipsqueak A: almost 8 laps, pipsqueak B: 4 laps, 2 transfers, forget it...

N x 5 laps relay
pipsqueak A: 5 laps (~3:30)
pipsqueak B: 5 laps (~6:50)
pipsqueak A: almost 2 laps

pipsqueak A: almost 7 laps, pipsqueak B: 5 laps, 2 transfers (useless), the second transfer would give a strange taste.

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on October 09, 2012, 04:09:56 PM
Will the track have a literal pit lane, Z75-style, with literal pit stops for the driver changes?

Hmmm... if we think it over, 8 minutes is not a long time. Don't waste it with stopping - I suggest to have only a dedicated square where you save the replay (tunnel is a well-defined place for it). Of course you need a "pit lane" - for the start / finish line. :D

zaqrack

Quote from: Chulk on October 09, 2012, 09:53:06 PM
If Zak takes part it will be hard to find a suitable time... 11 hours between China and Argentina/Brazil is a lot!

I will skip - am tackling such time differences too often anyway :(

CTG

Quote from: zaqrack on October 10, 2012, 03:33:52 PM
Quote from: Chulk on October 09, 2012, 09:53:06 PM

I will skip - am tackling such time differences too often anyway :(

Then warn us if you come home and we will make a new round.

Chulk

Quote from: CTG on October 10, 2012, 12:18:58 PM
Track: ~40 seconds (first lap ~50)

N x 3 laps relay
pipsqueak A: 3 laps (~2:10)
pipsqueak B: 3 laps (~4:10)
pipsqueak A: 3 laps (~6:10)
pipsqueak B: almost 3 laps

pipsqueak A: 6 laps, pipsqueak B: almost 6 laps, 3 transfers, balanced
That would be the best IMO

Quote from: CTG on October 10, 2012, 01:44:37 PM
I suggest to have only a dedicated square where you save the replay (tunnel is a well-defined place for it)
Agree!

BonzaiJoe

Why not play for 30 minutes or 60 minutes instead?
But we can't be quite sure.

BonzaiJoe

BonzaiJoe

What about a really small track (less than 30 seconds), and then you see how far you can go within 10 minutes?

CTG

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on October 10, 2012, 07:24:43 PM
What about a really small track (less than 30 seconds), and then you see how far you can go within 10 minutes?

Tracks under 30 seconds are really boring.

CTG

About the plan: my calendar is empty for the whole weekend, so please decide when to organize this event.