News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Idea: Retro tracks in competition!

Started by Argammon, September 02, 2003, 06:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argammon

I would love not only to see new tracks in the next few month but also old tracks of the years 2001 and 2002!

First of all most pipsqueaks here never raced them and more important it would be interesting to see how those past winners times would be compared to the times if we would drive again.
Of course we would have the advantage to be able to see the winning replays but IMO that would make it more interesting:
Everyone would have a goal to aim at and maybe that past winner would barely make 10th place now ;)

What do you think?

zaqrack

sounds like a great idea.

two possibilities:

1. all previously raced tracks remain as permanent competition
2. in 2004 there'll be retro comp.

Argammon

I would vote for B,but really I would like to see it as a part of the main competition.
If it was a 2nd competition like ACT I doubt people would try to race as hard as they do in the main competition.Same about permament.
I bet if we would make 'skids' a month track for example the month winner would have a way better result than the one currently leading the track.

Maybe every 3rd or 4th track of the competition could be a retro track?

al il professore

i would like to replay zack 16 in competition. but perhaps we could chose a special race with a kalpen race where lots of legends took part, then a TSST track, then a lucas loerher track, then a isa track. i d like to play on glasgow!

with no change in the design.

and eventually a special race featuring one of the permanent competition track.
It is reasonable to expect that genetic influences on traits like IQ should become less important as one gains experiences with age. Surprisingly, the opposite occurs.

alanrotoi

Nooo... retro comp?
I would like to see the tracks in a kind of permanent comp., but build new tracks every month because it would be boring.

JTK

I plea for retro tracks mixed with new ones. 8 new ones : 4 retro.

al il professore

we could vote for the best retro track of 2002 and organize a special event for pro pipsqueaks at the end of the season. (one week racing only)
It is reasonable to expect that genetic influences on traits like IQ should become less important as one gains experiences with age. Surprisingly, the opposite occurs.

Argammon

Most of the 2002 tracks are not really old enough to be retro.
Even though you (Alain) would like to race against Alanrotoi's time on ZCT 16 (was it 16?)

I would strongly suggest to start with some 2001 tracks and to try the 2002 tracks later when they are really 'retro tracks'

And let me mention that I agree with JTK....

al il professore

we could vote for the best retro track of 1997-1998-1999-2000-2001-2002 and organize a special event now and again.

the memory of stunts.

BonzaiJoe

I agree with Alan Rotoi. Permanent comp. I think Argammon is right that it could be interesting to see if (or more interestingly, how much) we can drive faster than the old times, but there are some problems:

1. There's quite a big advantage for those who have already driven the tracks, even if everyone can see the top-3 replays. Personally I have driven a lot of the tracks afterwards and beaten the records (mainly Kalpen tracks that is...).

2. It would be too boring at a length to drive the same tracks. New tracks are needed for the interest to be kept. But of course only I and the few (Zak and partly Argammon) others who were around in 2001 would think that about 2001 tracks.

Maybe we could have a retro track once in a while (like once or twice per year), but I don't agree that permanent tracks aren't taken seriously. I think the records on the original tracks are quite strong, except Helen's.
But we can't be quite sure.

Argy

BJ:
I still think there is a huge difference between permanent and monthly competition tracks:
If you try to drive a good time on a permanent track you drive for say '30 minutes' and if all goes well you are happy you have a good time but if you encounter problems and to many crashes you might think 'screw it' I also have to race in that dozen of monthly competitions,the permanent competition does not run away and I can do it later.And 'later' is often never like some may know from work they have to do ;)

Mingva

QuoteI still think there is a huge difference between permanent and monthly competition
I agree with Argy. I never played (and probably won't play) on original Stunts tracks, except Default. It would be really nice to see old tracks (1998-2001) from different competitions. It would be enough to have 2-3 retro tracks per season.

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

I would retry zct 14 and especially zct 17. But it would be boring...
Chürműű! :-)

917.47 km

al il professore

"I think the records on the original tracks are quite strong, except Helen's."

I think all the records are made to be beaten. that makes them easy to beat for me. Every of them. I just concentrate on default because its magic. but i will now and again strike on other tracks

zaqrack

vote about retro competition in the site announcements, pls vote.