News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Live Racing Howto

Started by zaqrack, September 10, 2003, 01:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaqrack

Well after a long time I decided to make it finally, and I did a much bigger work than I wanted to do first.
This means site version is v 5.1 now. Why?
passwords.

Yep, you can now set up a password, and live racing + send replay scripts are only accessible with a password.
How can you get a password?
tell me you need a password.
I create you a password, which you can change anytime on the site.
After you changed the password it'll be stores in the database as a MD5 crypted hash, so I won't know your password (but can still use your accound by using the hash as a password)

Now about the live racing section. It's accessible from the community menu.
Lets imagine I'm not there if some people want to have a nice live event.
One pipsqueak decides which track to use, and which car. He opens "start anew race" page, and writes all the information he wans to share. Important thing is the track ID. Please try to folow a sequence, it should look like liveXXX where XXX is of course not a sex site but a number.
After you entered the data, the ID will be available at the "send replay" section. Now we wont send a replay, but a track. If it"s a well-known track, please send it too, because it'"s better if all tracks are available on which we had a live race. Aftr you uploaded the track the system will automatically rename it.
Lets wait until the starting time, and lets race!
When pipsqueaks finish their best lap and dont want to race more, they also open the "send replay" page, and send their replay through the net. You only need the ID number, the rpl file, and your username+password.
After you sent it, a confirmation screen should appear, where you can see the exact time when you sent the replay (in seconds too), and the time you achieved.
WARNING!
the system cant count penalty time! Please avoid penalty in live races, we should consider this having as a new rule.
Ok, race finished, and no need for anything, you can see all the results on the "former results" page, of course they are sorted by finishing time.
And also you can download all the replays either here by clicking on the pipsqueaks name, or from the combined archive, from the "replays sent" page.

So this is all. Sure there'll be some bugs, and it's easy to cheat with the times, but since we suppose we are honest when we say noRH,  then I think noone will cheat.

And later we can use the password system for many intresting things
enjoy the liverace system, but be careful! You have direct access to the database! Don't ruin it please :)

Zak

al il professore

why not introducing a pipsqueaks rating based on their time gaps and rankings for live races?

that could make people play! like in yahoo pool, you earn a rating when you win or lose against opponents. of course, some wont race for it, but others will. the bad losers like me wont have nothing to say if someone can prove i am not worth a lap in live race :)
It is reasonable to expect that genetic influences on traits like IQ should become less important as one gains experiences with age. Surprisingly, the opposite occurs.

Argammon

Very good idea:

Everyone starts with say,a rating of 1000.And then we just need some formula such that a high ranked player beating a bad gives less points than a low ranked player beating a high ranked one.

BonzaiJoe

It's a good idea, but it won't be serious when the whole thing is still built on the trust principle. If we allow replay handling in live races (or in some live races), it would be serious.
But we can't be quite sure.

al il professore

irrelevant: you always use the replay handling already... and the rating could be the average position of a pipsqueak in all his races... ? perhaps...
It is reasonable to expect that genetic influences on traits like IQ should become less important as one gains experiences with age. Surprisingly, the opposite occurs.

Argammon

If we would allow full use of replay handling (which means not only reloading if you crash,but real replay handling) live racing would lose it's appeal to me.

And please don't forget to much other things are dependent on trust:
1)Do we -know- the competition managers don't pass the replays they receive to their teammates?

2)Do we know the competition managers and their teammates start practiciing on the track before it was released to the public in order to get leading time?

3)Do we know if someone uses a hex editor to enhance his replays?

4)Do we know if other drivers drive for their teammates in order to get more team points?

The list could be endlessly continued.I hope you see the point.

BonzaiJoe

In some of those cases we do know, in others we don't, but it does not make as huge a difference as between rh/norh. If Alain sucks so badly at live racing that he thinks we use RH, no doubt he will use it, and thus render the rating useless. I don't think replay handling should be allowed in live races either, but a rating list is not quite what it could be without it.
But we can't be quite sure.

al il professore

sometimes guys, the less we speak, the more others think we are smart... i dont want you to get dumb. because you are...

less speak and more action! when do we start live racing and with replay handling and cheating others, like in real competitions???

alanrotoi

yes, let's work. It is not so easy to use the hex editor.

Argammon

Someone speaks from experience :)

alanrotoi

JTK

Do you have any regular live racing dates or just when it comes to you? Where do you meet before? In the chat?

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Quote from: "JTK"Do you have any regular live racing dates or just when it comes to you? Where do you meet before? In the chat?

When we are in the chat, if there are enough people, we just decide let us drive live. I like live events very much. Yesterday, we also played two live events.

Results:

Race 1: 1. Zak 2. Akoss 3. Alain
Race 2: 1. Argammon 2. Akoss 3. Zak 4. Alain

We can play today and tomorrow, I'm here!
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Heeeey! It was a long ago when I could join a good live race! I really miss them.
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

CTG

What about a big live race with some top drivers (Gutix, Alan, BJ)? If we meet them on chat we have to ask them!

Anyway, I reached 1000 posts. No more useless messages... this night... :D  :lol: