News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

lost memories

Started by zaqrack, September 15, 2003, 07:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaqrack

Damn!
and damn and damn and damn

my smaller HDD had some error, it works, but I lost all content of it. This was my personal stuff drive :(
of course site is functional because its located on the server, and there was only a backup, but

1. My Stunts Directory (created in 2001!) is lost.  More than 30mb, all the replays sent to zakstunts + my replays, lots of tracks and addons
2. Stunts Projects folder was lost. This included the 60% done big car comparison chart + lots of graphical projects, plans for the future
3. Analysis template files lost. This only takes some hours to redo, but still...
4. Lots of not stunts related stuff are lost too

:(

al il professore

first lesson: enterprises do three backups. particulars must be this cautious, in the era of the optical memory. how much those took? 1 giga? one giga is two CD. three copies are six CDs burning them are thirty minutes. six CD for me are two bucks. next hdd drive error will cost only two bucks.

second lesson: well, my pockets are void, but i dont even need pockets :) I erased all my previous stunts past while i thought i would give up this game. i feel not sad about it. when we will be dead, no hdd will make any noise for us in a 20th century computer. being a man is improvisation. being a machine is keeping, assimilating, show proofs of greed.

I am a man.
It is reasonable to expect that genetic influences on traits like IQ should become less important as one gains experiences with age. Surprisingly, the opposite occurs.

BonzaiJoe

Damnit! Terrible :( People say you shouldn't look back and only look forward, but it's such a clich?. I'm a machine. Is there anything we can do to help recreate some of it?
But we can't be quite sure.

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

hogy a j? b?d?s geci kurva ?letbe
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

JTK

Oh damned! I know what you're missing. I lost each and every replay from our former contest races. No more Nailwood and/or Death Man races on my PC. And my replays, some from back to 1992 or so are also lost. Now I backup some of my stuff but not enough though. Buy a streamer! Or use a second, old PC with huge disc as a mirror.

al il professore

wait wait. zak is stupid. he just need to burn his worthless datas on a CD. my HDD is 20 Go, and i had time to burn 20^10 Go since september 2001. it seems past belief.
It is reasonable to expect that genetic influences on traits like IQ should become less important as one gains experiences with age. Surprisingly, the opposite occurs.

Krys TOFF

I know what you mean Zak, it happened to me a few years ago, when microdisks were the only available backup (I had a 386 SX 16 in this time, with a 30Mb HDD !!!).
I felt like a madman, disoriented, disappointed, and VERY angry about everything.

But now, I do not hesitate and do as Alain : backups on CDs, often, very often if necessary.

al il professore

problems with a 40 mo HDD? your HDD only full with dos 6.22?

thats alain back in 1994 :) WHAT A SUPER EXPERIENCE!!! i figured out that i only needed the only games that i backed up on diskettes: stunts, superski II, civilization, flight simulator IV. mmmh and figured out that buying games is a superdumbass occupation. give me an island with a computer a stunts diskette and a "seaflow" generator (something to create electricity with the sea tides) its enough. After killing a couple of goats praying god a moujahidin like ben laden in afghanistan mountains likes a laptop loaded with stunts tracks and replays that can amuse him during several years... George bush will say to his father "dad! i am so tired with this computer and stunts!!! can i do a waaaaar for a non existing reaaaaaaason like in civilization? With the jdam weapons and everything??? pleaaaaase!!!"

btw... why did i liked to play stunts? to make jumps with indy car, and drive seriously with the imsa jaguar (not the porsche which is ugly imho)

btw... why they dont say the real reasons of these wars to us? they want us to know that the real reason behind the war is oil. its obvious, they want us to think that oil is their problem. BUT nuclear weapons in korea or oil in irak, thats a SMALL problem.

fifteen years ago there was a problem with assassination of the general manager of Renault, terror attacks in Paris and hostages in lebanon. actualities didnt speak about those two things as a common thing. they speak of it as two problems. we had all the keys in hand: hostages in lebanon were taken by a group supported by iran. terror attacks were made by people supported by iran. General manager of renault was assasinated by a communist group supported by iran.

What was the problem with Iran and France?

France sold plutonium to iran that had paid for it and never gave it. The terror attacks stopped, the hostages were freed when france gave the plutonium (via the back office of secret services) to iran. :)

Lets say USA has something to give to one country lets say this country is pakistan. lets say our problems will stop when: pakistan will be "freed" he he or USA will give what pakistan needs. If Bush is reelected, pakistan will be nuked in hu... four years... . if he is not, no nuke for pakistan, pakistan will think only force can make him survive, and that he needs nuke. It will become a "islamic republic" he he and we (mostly US interest, indirectly europeans) probably suffer ten years of terror attacks, until another "evil" usa bunch of hawks take power back.

in korea, all began with a drawback from USA to deliver a paid plutonium load :) does it tick in your minds? :)

well, lots of us doesnt simply understand the chaotic and dumb violence of the 11th september... lets say they were simply not informed right by the powerful and biased medias... this is my own idea on this subject, take it as fiction until it happens IRL (in real life)

(my current opinion includes that proliferation of weapons of mass destruction will lead our world to peace: lets wish USA will deliver nuke weapons to pakistan and arm musharraf and the following dictator until... india bend over pakistan status. this is the key to this part of our struggling human history peace.)

Krys TOFF

Quoteproblems with a 40 mo HDD? your HDD only full with dos 6.22 ?
Not 40 : 30 !
With : MS Dos 6.20, Wing Commander 1 + Secret Missions 1 & 2, Wing Commander 2 + Special Operations 1 & 2, 4D Sports-Driving (Mindscape version 1.1), Civilization, Stunts Car pipsqueak, Grand Prix Circuit, Grand Prix 500 - The Cycles, Superski 2, Ski or Die ==> Hard Drive Full !!! :D
The Wing Commander games installed in "safe space" mode. :wink: