News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

ZakStunts 2004 progress

Started by zaqrack, December 28, 2003, 02:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaqrack

Done until now:

new menu system
    old stuff archive reorganized
    basics of 2004 database system
    new user database with registration + password
    live scoreboard update by pipsqueaks
    leading time calculation on-the-fly
    launched stunts portal
    re-uploaded games accessible from the portal (+visitors)
    complete rule system on paper

Still to do:

interactive section: pipsqueaks edit their profile
    interactive section: pipsqueaks post news onto main site
    interactive section: pipsqueaks comment the track
    seasonal ranking count (just need to modify 2003's)
    newbie motivation system related codes
    detailed comp. rules available on the site
    writing information/troubleshooting sections
    what pops into my mind

as you may know my exams are really close, so I SHOULD learn instead of coding. Thats why I finished the site in the past 3 days so much that every important work needed to start the contest in january is finished. I'll have some time in the end of january, and I plan to finish the not so important stuff then.
Still every ideas is welcome. I want to make the site much more interactive and comp. manager - independent, so I can focus my time on writing articles and statistics, and general site development. Article authors, statistic makers wanted! :)

zaqrack

Still to do:

interactive section: pipsqueaks edit their profile
    interactive section: pipsqueaks comment the track
    newbie motivation system related codes
    detailed comp. rules available on the site
    writing information/troubleshooting sections
    what pops into my mind

I did the remaining part of the coding, now the season's results work fine + team calculations too.
A very nice thing is done too, pipsqueaks can post now news directly to the main page. Use it well, keep it short :)
Also another thingy: when a pipsqueaks submits a new time (or when I update for someone), it automatically appears as a news too on the main page. I think its kinda useful :)

al il professore

this is the wonderfulest thing after the hanging gardens of babylon!

well congratulations for this work. I already used the news poster :) All of you Dont be sad with the end of FSC, and stunts r us. I will come back with more strength. I simply am angry not to be able to make the competition offer bigger on the stunts portal! GRRRR

Please make it live! in 2004 i will not be a film maker, just an actor :)
It is reasonable to expect that genetic influences on traits like IQ should become less important as one gains experiences with age. Surprisingly, the opposite occurs.

zaqrack

another thing done: seasonal results refresh now every hour automatically. ZakStunts is close to be automated completely, and I really enjoy it, despite the automatization with the comments and news it'll be even more live than until now. :)
Also fixed some things with the LTB calculation.

Now I should really learn a bit, I'll write the rules together possibly tonight.

BonzaiJoe

Great job, this is becoming a really professional site. Now the drivers almost only have to worry about driving, it's great.
But we can't be quite sure.

zaqrack

Total leading time display bug finally fixed :-S

it's very important now to write lots of user-friendly information about stunts and the contest. Information what tose understand too who play stunts for the first time.
This is the key for new pipsqueaks, if anyone has ime and motivation, please help.

Mingva

And what about bonuses (Time Difference Bonus and Newbie Motivation Bonus)  :?:

zaqrack

time diff bonus is done, it's only manual update at the moment it'll be shown with the end of the current track in a small chart.
newbie motivation is under construction, but it also works by manual adding at the moment.
This means I have to make the charts myself, and then write the points in the 2004extra database, and these are shown on the seasons res.

The problem is that the whole newbie system si unclear - there arent many newbies also.

Mingva

Quote from: "from ZakStunts rules"Time Difference Bonus (TDB):
Calculate the time difference between the 1st and the 6th pipsqueak finished. Double this value, and add this to the winning time. Anyone who has a better result than the value you just got earns +1 bonus points. This means the top 6 of course always get it, and people who are below the 8th place, but have a result close enough to the top still receive points.
Maybe top6 should get +1 point, and below with good results +2 points? We talked about it in chat last month but you forgot it, I guess :)

zaqrack

Sounds OK, but this way the 7th pipsqueak with a worse result than the 6th can get equal points.

BonzaiJoe

I very much discourage that. We want pipsqueaks to send their best replays. That way it would always be better to be 7th than to be 6th. I don't really see the point of the TDB except if it's for newbie motivation, but then I'd say #7 is rarely a newbie.
But we can't be quite sure.