News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Live Races / Re: Live races 2024
Last post by Cas - Yesterday at 07:26:27 PM
Alright... so it sounds like we have better chances if we do it next weekend at 19:00 UTC, although we may still be few
Last post by Overdrijf - Yesterday at 04:45:14 PM
I'm away this weekend. No racing for me unfortunately.
Last post by dreadnaut - May 16, 2024, 11:58:35 PM
I have a number of events on my calendar, and it's decent weather (it's very rare to have decent wheather up here), so I'm unlikely to participate in these weeks.

But if it turns out I can make the time you decide, I'll be there! ;D
Last post by Daniel3D - May 16, 2024, 07:27:25 PM
Quote from: Cas on May 14, 2024, 07:23:42 PM1. In my afternoon, which would be Daniël's evening... for example, at 19:00 UTC.
That would be 21:00 for me. That I can manage.if I don't have to work. Since I know my schedule until the 16th.. but I suspect I am not working that weekend.
Stunts Reverse Engineering / Re: MicroProse F15 reverse eng...
Last post by llm - May 16, 2024, 07:14:21 PM
neuviemeporte's strategy is to reverse the disassembly function by function into C code that produces the same binary code as in the original executable

using the old MSC 5.1 compiler that was originaly used to compile the game (which is the exact same compiler that was used for Stunts)

this strategy is very time consuming and will take easily years to finish - what is typical for reverse projects - for example BladeRunner in ScummVM took more then a decade to finish

the reconstructed C source will be more or less exact the same as the original (except symbol-names, comments, etc.)

based on this C source everything will be possible - porting as is over to other platforms (keeping the software renderer etc.) or replacing the 3d engine with OpenGL, Vulkan, Raytracing... stuff, Resolution changes etc. just everything someone can think of

there is an discord for technical discussion: https://discord.com/channels/819897993624682516/1155564470828007434

Last post by Frieshansen - May 15, 2024, 10:29:17 AM
I really like articles like this - thanks for sharing.
Last post by Erik Barros - May 15, 2024, 04:28:42 AM

Quote from: Cas on May 14, 2024, 07:23:42 PMI'd like to know which options are OK for you guys and how many would be OK with pushing it to the following week so that Spoonboy can join.

I agree with changing the schedule for a larger number of participants, it would be great to have @Daniel3D and @Spoonboy present. I can flex my schedule to fit in with others

Quote from: Spoonboy on May 14, 2024, 09:01:27 PMHonestly, don't factor me in to the plan. With family around, I wouldn't usually know if I can participate until minutes before the race!
Let me practice with the format on my own schedule first :)

Live racing is a very different experience to any other type of racing, the panic of delivering the replay in 12 minutes, but it's really cool, try to participate.

Last post by dreadnaut - May 15, 2024, 12:29:59 AM
It's all explained

QuoteSome project goals:

• aiming at a faithful, bug-for-bug reimplementation of the original engine, then porting it to a modern platform to be further tweaked, not looking to do a remake.
  • compatibility with original game assets (world maps, plane models, sprites etc.), hence requiring reverse-engineering the custom formats used.
  • clean reversing project, hence I will not be releasing any copyrighted materials such as game binaries or disassembly listings, only the clean source code when it's done.
Last post by Spoonboy - May 14, 2024, 11:38:08 PM
My first DOS Game!
F15II will always have a special place in my heart  ;D
I wonder what their aim is, and what could be achieved? Would be amazing to play a community-reengineered version.
Stunts Reverse Engineering / MicroProse F15 reverse enginee...
Last post by dreadnaut - May 14, 2024, 09:01:39 PM
Today I spotted this series of articles (oldest at the bottom) about reverse engineering the DOS game F15 Strike Eagle II — just a year older than Stunts.

Lots of interesting information in there. and the author also mentions Restunts!