News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Football Fanats 2014 - The year of World Cup

Started by CTG, December 06, 2013, 09:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which team will win World Cup 2014?

Argentina
2 (25%)
Brasil
2 (25%)
England
0 (0%)
Germany
3 (37.5%)
Italy
0 (0%)
Netherlands
1 (12.5%)
Portugal
0 (0%)
Spain
0 (0%)
none of these
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

alanrotoi

Zanetti, Veron and Heinze retired yesterday :(

CTG

Quote from: alanrotoi on May 12, 2014, 03:32:24 PM

Bonzai Joe mode ON
Why don't you discuss it with Chulk in PM?
Bonzai Joe mode OFF

Legendary names... Players of my late childhood are disappearing. :-\

alanrotoi

Hahaha why would BJ say that?

Legendary names are Mark Nailwood and Roy Wiegerinck :P

CTG

alanrotoi

Chulk

Quote from: CTG on May 12, 2014, 05:31:27 PM
Bonzai Joe mode ON
Bonzai Joe mode OFF
Stupid "I have no answer for that" mode ON
BÖFF!
Stupid "I have no answer for that" mode OFF

Quote from: alanrotoi on May 12, 2014, 03:32:24 PM
I only care about Zanetti and Heinze (in a minor way). I always hated Velord and I always will.

Legendary names... Players of my late childhood are disappearing. :-\
One way I realize I'm getting old is by seeing the retirement of players I saw their first professional match.

Also Giggs is retiring. That's a legendary name, not Veron or Heinze.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

BonzaiJoe

Only Rotoi knows the answer, but I'm guessing it's because they are legendary, international players that you and I know about.
But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

alanrotoi

BonzaiJoe

They lost 8 finals in a row?

Anyway, good job by La Liga, winning both EL and CL. Even though Barcelona made a disappointing CL performance, we have to remember they were knocked out by another Spanish team. Only Real Sociedad's CL performance was truly disappointing. Valencia and Real Betis also made it to the close of the EL and were only knocked out when they met another Spanish team...
But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

Quote from: alanrotoi on May 15, 2014, 08:03:26 AM
8 consecutive times?

OFF: Benfica reminds me on the old series of Györi Audi ETO KC (female handball), losing several European cup finals in a row: EHF Cup in 1999, 2002, 2004, 2005; Cup Winners' Cup 2006; Champions League 2009, 2012... Luckily, they are two times Champions League title holders at the moment. I wish something similar to Benfica!

alanrotoi

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on May 15, 2014, 11:36:02 AM
They lost 8 finals in a row?

Anyway, good job by La Liga, winning both EL and CL. Even though Barcelona made a disappointing CL performance, we have to remember they were knocked out by another Spanish team. Only Real Sociedad's CL performance was truly disappointing. Valencia and Real Betis also made it to the close of the EL and were only knocked out when they met another Spanish team...

Betis lost the category in la liga. That's disappointing too.

Chulk

CTG

Quote from: Chulk on May 15, 2014, 05:13:42 PM
Quote from: alanrotoi on May 15, 2014, 08:03:26 AM
8 consecutive times?
I guess that teaches us not to mess with a gypsy!

Actually it was a Hungarian jewish coach (born in Hungary) who said Benfica won't win the cup in the next 100 years... See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9la_Guttmann

Quote from: wikipedia
After the 1962 European Cup Final, Guttmann approached the Benfica board of directors and asked for a pay rise. However despite the success he had brought the club, he was turned down. On leaving Benfica, Guttman allegedly cursed the club, declaring "Not in a hundred years from now will Benfica ever be European champion". Benfica have gone on to lose all eight of their subsequent European finals, including five European Cup finals (1963, 1965, 1968, 1988, and 1990), and three UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League finals (1983, 2013 and 2014). Before the 1990 final, which was played in Vienna, where Guttmann was buried, Eusébio even prayed at his grave and asked for the curse to be broken.

Chulk

I don't really know why, but general belief here is that gypsies are mostly Hungarian so it is usual to refer to Hungarians as gypsies.