News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Formula 1 in 2009

Started by Krys TOFF, December 06, 2007, 10:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krys TOFF

New scoring system 12/9/7... was a good idea, but this "medal" system is not suitable for racing sports.
12/9/7/5/4/3/2/1 point system was good because it meant more point difference between 1st and 2nd, privileging fight for the win, but also keeping the spirit of regularity.

It seems Ferrari was in favor of "gold medal"system because this way Massa would have been 2008 champion, but only because of FIA decision about Spa race and Lewis penalty on this race ! Imagine the anger of fans if now FIA can decide the champion just by penalizing the driver with the most number of victories to avoid him winning too much ? Will this be the 2009 way of acting of FIA to preserve the championship interest ?

Now imagine a season like 1989 (9/6/4/3/2/1 point system) :
- 6 wins for Senna, 1 second place but only 60 points overall because he had 6 retirements and the other races where out of top 6 (no points). Only 7 races out of 16 in points.
- 4 wins for Prost, but 81 points overall with six 2nd places, one 3rd place, one 4th place and one 5th place. Only 3 retirements, always in top 6 when he doesn't retire, 13 races of 16 in points.

Who is the best, the "win or loose" talented Senna or the "always in points" regular Prost ?

Sure, it's better to have fights for the win but racing sports are also meant to show the talent of drivers to use their car properly, to preserve it from mechanical failure. Remember that engines will have to last longer in 2009 (number of engines limited to 8 for all races and friday practice sessions) so managing your engine will be a good capacity to have.

I fear to see top drivers out of win possibility deciding to retire just to preserve their engine for next race when they will (maybe) fight for the victory... ::)

I also fear the decision of number 1 and number 2 drivers in each team very early in the season. As long as 1 driver has 3 wins and 1 retirement (30 points) while the other has four 2nd places (32 points), then they both deserve to fight for the title but team will probably decide to put all hopes on the one who already have wins, even if he has less points !!! Crazy !!!

FIA decision about "gold medal" system is just stupid.

Only teams interested will be those with a clearly defined number 1 driver and number 2 driver since season start, like McLaren (Lewis 1) and Renault (Alonso 1). All other team will be penalized as there's no clear number 1/number 2 decision until the 2nd driver has no more mathematic chance to be champion, it has been prooved last 2 years in Ferrari (it was completely different when Schumi was still racing though, Schumi was always choosed to be number 1).

I don't want to see a champion with less points during the season than the vice-champion.
skid Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosley tyranny.
Team association (FOTA) has no power versus FIA, even since they managed to be all agreed on something (like 12/9/7... point system). Bernie and Max will kill F1...

Chulk

Quote from: Chulk on March 19, 2009, 05:16:26 PM
I really want to see a champion 4 or more races before the end, so FOTA get's their idea up their ass and think something different for the following years.
Of course I meant FIA...

Quote from: Krys TOFF on March 20, 2009, 12:58:32 PM
I fear to see top drivers out of win possibility deciding to retire just to preserve their engine for next race when they will (maybe) fight for the victory... ::)
That's what I said to my father yesterday when we were talking about it...
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Duplode

Now that FOTA argued that passing that piece of... so ridiculously close to the start of the season was actually in breach of regulations, FIA took back the new system (or better, deferred it to 2010...). So for this year it'll still be 10/8/6...

Chulk

That's some good news, but still FIA wll use it next year. I know FOTA will complain again, but FIA will find a way...

Duplode

The Melbourne 3rd place saga ends with McLaren caught red-handed in not telling the whole story, LH getting disqualified and a scapegoat being found...

Quote from: grandprix.com
Lewis Hamilton went in front of the international F1 media in Malaysia and said that he had been misled when he went to see the Stewards in Melbourne and he did what he was told to do by sporting director Davey Ryan.

"I'd like to say sorry to all my fans who have believed in me and supported me for years. I am not a liar. I am not a dishonest person. I am a team player. Every time I have had to do something I have done it. This time it was a huge mistake. I am learning from it. It has had a huge toll for me. It was a lot to deal with. I was in the wrong and I feel I owe it to my fans to let them know that. Like I said I was misled.

"We went straight there and while we were waiting I was instructed what to do. I did not have time to think about what I was going to do. I felt awkward and very uncomfortable and I think the stewards could see that. I am not a liar."

Hamilton said that no-one else in the team was involved.

"Dave is a great guy and has worked for the team for many years and he is feeling it just as much as the whole team.

"The situation is the worst thing I have experineced in my life. That is why I am here. It is right for me as a human being and a man to tell you exactly what was going on. I am sorry for the embarrassment I have caused to may family and to the team."

---

The McLaren team has confirmed that Dave Ryan has been suspended from his position as sporting director of the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team.

Team principal Martin Whitmarsh said: "In my 20-odd years working for McLaren, I doubt if I've met a more dedicated individual than Davey. He's been an integral part of McLaren since 1974 and has played a crucial role in the team's many world championship successes since that time.

"However, his role in the events of last Sunday, particularly his dealings with the FIA stewards, has caused serious repercussions for the team, for which we apologise. Therefore, I suspended him this morning and he has accepted this."

Hamilton has lost (even) (more) respect points from me after this fiasco... and the same goes to his team :-X

Chulk

They said they thought the stewards had check team comunication and therefore didn't think it was necessary to go through that... Stupid excuse in my opinion.
I'm very sad McLaren is on the news constantly for the wrong reasons... I hate Hamilton so it's ok for me if he's on the news...

CTG

Hamilton is a nagger. Yes, in the South Park meaning. ;D

Duplode

So the diffusers quarrel has been solved at last - their allowance is a good thing I guess, at least based on the amount of BS the appealing teams have been saying over the last few days. Now the only major off-track drama we have to follow is whether McLaren will disintegrate over the rest of the season (or at least morph into something else...) 

CTG

Vettel is the king of rain, Red Bulls are really strong (Newey is a genius), Brawn's dominance seems to be over, McLaren is (unfortunately) getting better and better, Buemi is quite talented, Kubica still can't drive when it rains, Ferrari is a joke: ZERO points, that sucks - without Schumacher (racing, not as tactics consultant :D) - Brawn - Todt, they are just a dumb rich team.

Chulk

Quote from: CTG on April 19, 2009, 12:18:39 PM
Vettel is the king of rain, Red Bulls are really strong (Newey is a genius)
That's true, Vettel really seems to be Baby Schumi.
Quote from: CTG on April 19, 2009, 12:18:39 PMBrawn's dominance seems to be over
Not so sure about this... They were on podium.

Quote from: CTG on April 19, 2009, 12:18:39 PMMcLaren is (unfortunately) getting better and better
Fortunately they are!

Quote from: CTG on April 19, 2009, 12:18:39 PMBuemi is quite talented
He showeed some skills, let's see if he's consistent.

Quote from: CTG on April 19, 2009, 12:18:39 PMKubica still can't drive when it rains
Is Polish weather that dry! He simply sucks!

Quote from: CTG on April 19, 2009, 12:18:39 PMFerrari is a joke: ZERO points, that sucks - without Schumacher (racing, not as tactics consultant :D) - Brawn - Todt, they are just a dumb rich team.
Hpefully they'll have "a long string of misfortunes" (This is related with previous avatar) as they did before Schumacher-Brawn-Todt era.

Duplode

Quote from: Chulk on April 19, 2009, 11:05:34 PM
That's true, Vettel really seems to be Baby Schumi.

Please don't say that, Vettel seems to be a pretty nice guy actually... ::)

Quote from: CTG on April 19, 2009, 12:18:39 PMBrawn's dominance seems to be over
Not so sure about this... They were on podium.

I think the main point is not so much Brawn's dominance, but rather that Brawn's performance was such a shock that people more or less ignored what Red Bull did at the first rounds, and they were (sort of) really unlucky at both Australia and Malaysia... glad I tipped Vettel for the win anyway  :) 

Quote from: CTG on April 19, 2009, 12:18:39 PMFerrari is a joke: ZERO points, that sucks - without Schumacher (racing, not as tactics consultant :D) - Brawn - Todt, they are just a dumb rich team.
Hpefully they'll have "a long string of misfortunes" (This is related with previous avatar) as they did before Schumacher-Brawn-Todt era.

It will be fun if we see something like a reprise of their 1979->1980 form drop (both Championships to 8 points in the whole season...  :D :D). Except for Massa, of course  :-\

And BTW: damn, poor Sutil... :( :(

CTG

Vettel is damned good on dry track too, I wonder about Red Bulls with updated diffusors.

Brawn's dominance seems to be over

I was wrong. Button also deserves some good words, he's significantly better than old & crappy Barrichello.

McLaren is (unfortunately) getting better and better

It continues... :-\

Kubica still can't drive when it rains

And BMW is just a piece of crap now, poor Kubica.

Ferrari is a joke: ZERO points, that sucks - without Schumacher (racing, not as tactics consultant :D) - Brawn - Todt, they are just a dumb rich team.

That's already a comedy, maybe the worst Ferrari ever seen.

CTG

One word for this season: CIRCUS! Losing all my interest in F1. :-\ >:(

Chulk

Well, we should wait for FOTA to decide about the name and then open a topic for 2010.

F1 Split up

Duplode

Up to now I held the prediction that no split would actually happen, as none of the involved parts would be willing to burn money by the end of the day. In fact, I still think so - but with a lot less confidence now...