News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Unwritten rules

Started by alanrotoi, February 02, 2022, 05:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanrotoi

I would like to know if there are some unwritten rules in this community.

There was a comment from CTG about tracks: "it used to be a gentlemen's agreement in the 00s/early 10s to give <100% performance on your own track." That was the spirit about the tracks, nobody said it but everybody was under that unwritten rule.

Is there another unwritten rule about car building? I can't see newer cars than 1990 or the early 90s.

Daniel3D

Quote from: alanrotoi on February 02, 2022, 05:10:56 AM
Is there another unwritten rule about car building? I can't see newer cars than 1990 or the early 90s.
It is my personal preference to stay in that timeframe because the game was made then.
I expressed that as well (definitely in the Ferrari edition)
I believe that I made a topic about iconic cars somewhere with a lot of cars from the eighties where I expressed the same.
I don't know about the others. Don't remember talking about it. Maybe in PM sometime.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Duplode

There indeed used to be an unspoken gentlemen's agreement about racing while being the track designer. The fading of that custom over the last several years might have to do with guest tracks becoming the norm on ZakStunts, rather than something that happened once or twice a season.

As for the one about cars, I wouldn't go as far as calling it an unwritten rule. I think it's just that the overall aesthetic of the game tends to draw us towards cars from the late 80's/early 90's. Still, I think a project such as CTG's Bugatti Veyron would be warmly received regardless of being a more modern car.

Cas

The rule about own tracks has had similar variants in other tournaments as well. I am not a great pipsqueak, so I don't need to slow down in my own tracks  ;D  But in Race For Kicks, when the track is mine, I don't post the first replay. Even if it's KyLiE's track, sometimes I also try to avoid posting until somebody else has because we're the administrators, but I feel a little more allowed to post than when it's my track. However, I don't mind other folks posting first on their tracks.

When I was participating in Paleke's WSC, I remember that he would always post his own lap at the beginning and then, he would refrain from posting any other replay. This was in part because most tracks were his, but also because he had to look at the replays to verify them and he felt that would give him additional opportunity. Again, I'm lucky to not be that good at racing, so I don't need to do that  :P

I am yet to create a car of my own and alone, still I do have a preference towards cars that look like they coincide with Stunts era. In my case, I would like to make fictional cars, but I would make them look more classic.

Oh, another rule that I didn't mention until I had to was that I just can't freely categorise other people's work, such as tracks. So I can't place some tracks in the "excellent", others in the "very good" and the rest in the "good" box if I'm free to allow any number in them, since the authors in the "good" box would think I could've placed them in the "very good" but simply chose not to. Then I can solve this by forcing the number, like five in each box or only one in each of the first two categories and the rest on the last one.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

afullo

Ryoma worked on a Citroen C1, which is from the second half of the 2000s...

Daniel3D

Quote from: afullo on February 05, 2022, 02:12:57 AM

Ryoma worked on a Citroen C1, which is from the second half of the 2000s...
That's ok. Citroen is about 15 years behind  :P :P
Edison once said,
---------
---------

alanrotoi

Daniel3D

Quote from: Shoegazing Leo on February 08, 2022, 03:27:36 AM
I'll not write anyone, because it will become written rules. Thanks!
Only if they make sense.  ::)
Edison once said,
---------
---------