News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Can't get game to play!!

Started by Eusebio, October 23, 2008, 05:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eusebio

To the programmers:

When I execute the Stunts program my vista OS tells me that it cannot run the program in Fullscreen mode and force terminates it. I realize that a 16 bit program can't be run on a 1440x900 screen resolution. How do I tell Vista to STFU and let me play the game in windowed mode?

-Thanks

~Brady Fish

Krys TOFF

Hi Eusebio, welcome here.

Why don't you take a look at the "how to" topic : http://forum.stunts.hu/index.php?topic=1283.0
You'll have to use DOSBox tool to play pure DOS games under Vista OS.

Zak, can you please add "Vista" in the title of the "how to" topic ? ;)

Duplode

Welcome Eusebio! In addition to the thread mentioned by Krys you may wish to have a look at our Wiki page on DOSBox for further info on finding the right setup for your machine.

BonzaiJoe

Does this mean you can only run Stunts through DosBox on Vista?
That is the death of Stunts. Unless Vista is quickly replaced by another operating system in which you can run it properly.
But we can't be quite sure.

Krys TOFF

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on October 23, 2008, 09:10:33 PM
Yes. All pure native DOS programs can't run directly with Vista.
Almost all Win9x to XP programs can run now with the proper compatibility selection, but before Win95 is an era forgotten by Micro$oft... ::)

Duplode

That is the death of Stunts. Unless Vista is quickly replaced by another operating system in which you can run it properly.

Well, XP can't run Stunts properly either (no sound without extra tools like VDMSound, which can slow the game quite a bit unless you have a fast computer). It's likely most contemporary newbies race on DOSBox already anyway... which is not so bad: technically, the emulation is almost perfect by now and, as computers get faster and DOSBox evolves, will tend to get even better. And that's not to speak of platform independence - Vista, Linux, Mac, you name it... The main issue, IMO, is to get newbies to be aware as quickly, easily and painlessly as possible of DOSBox usage with Stunts, for that is the future ahead of us.

Eusebio

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll look into this DOSBox thing you speak of.

BonzaiJoe

Quote from: Duplode on October 24, 2008, 03:08:17 AM

Well, XP can't run Stunts properly either (no sound without extra tools like VDMSound, which can slow the game quite a bit unless you have a fast computer). It's likely most contemporary newbies race on DOSBox already anyway... which is not so bad: technically, the emulation is almost perfect by now and, as computers get faster and DOSBox evolves, will tend to get even better. And that's not to speak of platform independence - Vista, Linux, Mac, you name it... The main issue, IMO, is to get newbies to be aware as quickly, easily and painlessly as possible of DOSBox usage with Stunts, for that is the future ahead of us.

Okay, maybe DosBox is only a problem for me then. I race on XP with PC Speaker and perfect framerate, but if I try DosBox, the framerate is horrible, alternating between too slow and too fast.
But we can't be quite sure.

Duplode

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on October 24, 2008, 01:02:13 PM
Okay, maybe DosBox is only a problem for me then. I race on XP with PC Speaker and perfect framerate, but if I try DosBox, the framerate is horrible, alternating between too slow and too fast.

So your issues with DOSBox still remain... you may wish to check the configuration files on the Wiki article. To use any of them, copy the file contents (on the "highlighted" boxes) to Notepad, replacing the folder comments for the actual location of your Stunts directory and a folder for videos and screenshots, and save the file somewhere (let's call the file xyz.conf). Then, open a MS-DOS command prompt, go to DOSBox folder and start it up with:
dosbox -conf "path to your xyz.conf"
Mark's configuration running with 9000 cycles looks particularly interesting, I'd suggest you to start with it  ;)

Chulk

Hi guys, my stunts got corrupted or something. This is my problem. I start DOSBox, but when I try to run Stunts, it sends me back to desktop. Tried running the game directly from XP (it used to run with no sound) but nothing happens.
I re-intalled DOSBox and overwrote stunts file and it worked, I raced 40 mins,save the rpl and closed DOSBox. Everythingf worked fine, but then I tried to race again, opened DOSBox, and when I wnated to run stunts, same thing that before. Maybe it has something to do with the saving feature... no idea. Can you help me?
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Duplode

Things you can try to identify the problem:
- Start DOSBox from a command prompt so you can read any possible error messages.
- Use a blank, new install of Stunts (as you mentioned you overwrote the previous one) and see if the problems remain.
This is very strange, I can't imagine why a Stunts install could suddenly break like this, unless some file that wasn't overwritten got corrupted somehow...

Chulk

I'll try that. Maybe the corrupted file is not one of the ones I overwrote... Otherwise, I'll see if there was something installed or unistalled in the last few days my siblings didn't mention...

zaqrack

a possible problem might be that your stunts root directory contains too many files. As I know DOS (and so Stunts) can only handle 255 files per directory, and you can easily reach that when saving too many tracks & replays in the main directory. Try to move some to subdirectories! I had a similar problem once and this solved it.

CTG

Quote from: zaqrack on April 20, 2009, 08:53:16 AM
a possible problem might be that your stunts root directory contains too many files. As I know DOS (and so Stunts) can only handle 255 files per directory, and you can easily reach that when saving too many tracks & replays in the main directory. Try to move some to subdirectories! I had a similar problem once and this solved it.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn it's the archaic problem of Stunts! I also met this thing in 2002 (as far as I remember Roy or BJ warned me about it) but already forgot about it... Good to remember! :)

Chulk

Quote from: zaqrack on April 20, 2009, 08:53:16 AM
Correct! You have just been awarded my participation in Cottage Cheese!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the title of the ZCT242 track, from ZakStunts season 2021?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview