News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Updates and new stuff in 2009

Started by zaqrack, December 19, 2008, 08:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaqrack

There won't be a major site redesign, but your post combined with a sleepless night resulted in the following idea:

There'll be a new menu box above the "competition" and "info" boxes. It'll be called something like "newbie guide" and will be highlighted by a slightly brighter background color.
In this menu there'll be a tutorial with detailed description and screenshots taken into points. (something like: 1. what's this? 2. install stunts 3. download track 4. select a good car 5. replay handling 6. sending replays, earning points 7. site functions 8. community forum + teams.

In order not to clutter the website, when a pipsqueak logs in, this menu box will roll up (but can be shown again anytime by clicking on the menu item)

I'll start to work on this tomorrow (have 3 afternoons to finish the site), today is family day :)

zaqrack

after 5 hours of typing and coding it is considered done.
Complete newbie guide in 8 chapters.
Some screenshots and graphics are missing.

I hope it'll help sone new pipsqueaks to stay with us for a longer time.

Chulk

It sure looks easier for newcomers! Superb job.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Duplode

Very very complete, really useful  :) Hopefully that will help in having less lurkers-to-users for 2009. The only thing I'd point is about the auto-disappearing feature, as the guide does not return automatically when you logout. Maybe newbies might like to check the guide while logged for their first submissions, so perhaps it could just stay there all the time - I would not really mind having it occupying that bit of screen state while I'm logged in...

BonzaiJoe

First of all I have to say: really good work! :) No information is missing for the newbies now. Then I'll switch to the harsh, but hopefully constructive, critic mode (whatever I don't comment on, I'm happy with):

1. Links should be in brighter or more eye-catching colours and fonts instead of normal grey. I know it's ugly, but function is more important.

2. The introduction, though well-written, is quite long-winded, maybe some people will get bored, and it's not really essential to know all those things if they just want to join the competition. I suggest that all the history and bonus info is made into another menu option that people can read later if they want to. More simplicity is needed in the first pages. My general fear is that people will see the long text and think 'this is too complicated, I don't have time for this' even though it isn't really so complicated.

3. I propose a big "NEXT STEP" picture link at the bottom of each page, for those who have read enough and just want to move on. Remember web users are the most impatient people in the world.

Car Coefficient Page: I suggest a link to the detailed rules subpage instead of putting them there in the middle. Newbies should be able to choose whether they care.

Replay Handling: "de" -> "do" (second last paragraph, second line). Also, I think you are being a bit too negative towards replay handling. Zakstunts is based on it, so that means being negative towards the competition, turning newcomers off.

But we can't be quite sure.

zaqrack

thanks for the tips and comments!

I'll apply them possibly today afternoon, but maybe will only have time next year, still have to design ZCT91 and such :)

zaqrack

done!

I have compressed and cut the text according to you recommendations, so that it is never longer than the newsbox on the right side.
Added some decorative pictures to the first two chapters.

Hope it will be useful. I am curious, so will install a tracker on each page :)

zaqrack

tracker implemented on all subpages of ZakStunts.
I won't give you open access for the results but will publish stats sometimes. Remind me if I don't!

Chulk

Zak, just one thing about the starting guide I've just noticed.

The link's colour (kinda brown) is really awful with the background green and they don't contrast enough. Maybe that colour should be changed to a lighter one... Maybe it's only me, but I think it should be changed.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Duplode

Another little thing - I checked the portal and noticed a "high-priority" typo on the news box...

Quote-For pure racist, no replay handling fans Feel The Thrill will start it's new season in January. Stay tuned!

CTG

Just a little mistake in the Forum:

Quote from: Stunts Forum main boardCompetition 2009
12 tracks, 13 cars, teams again... will this be the best season of ZakStunts history?

11 original + 3 "cheat" cars if I'm right. :)

zaqrack

Quote from: Duplode on January 10, 2009, 02:22:51 AM
Another little thing - I checked the portal and noticed a "high-priority" typo on the news box...

Quote-For pure racist, no replay handling fans Feel The Thrill will start it's new season in January. Stay tuned!

ouch.  :-X fixed!

zaqrack

I wanted to freshen up a bit my CSS skills, so created a graphical scoreboard. You may find it under the monthly scoreboard. It shows the drivers cars as in a race, according to the real time difference.
Only the top 12 drivers are shown. Maximally I could display 15, but decided to create this as a reward for those, who earn real points.
Hope you like it. :)

CTG

Quote from: zaqrack on February 03, 2009, 09:04:31 PM
I wanted to freshen up a bit my CSS skills, so created a graphical scoreboard. You may find it under the monthly scoreboard. It shows the drivers cars as in a race, according to the real time difference.
Only the top 12 drivers are shown. Maximally I could display 15, but decided to create this as a reward for those, who earn real points.
Hope you like it. :)

WOW!!! Great stuff!

CTG

Just a suggestion: cars should be a bit bigger to be more attractive. Anyway this one kicks ass! :)