News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Sub-scoreboard for newbies

Started by BonzaiJoe, January 06, 2009, 04:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sub-scoreboard for newbies?

Yes
10 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: January 13, 2009, 04:42:43 PM

BonzaiJoe

How about, instead of an amateur league, a sub-scoreboard for everyone who has been here less than 1 year (counting from 1st replay submission)?

Purpose: stop new pipsqueaks from being demotivated by their distance from RH-efficient old pipsqueaks.
But we can't be quite sure.

zaqrack

great idea. proposed for a vote. I'd also add, that here maybe the 4 worst results shouldnt count - newbies can come later during the year as well...

CTG

Duplode

Yes, being a sub-scoreboard (participation not mutually exclusive) it sounds good.

Mark L. Rivers

Chulk

Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

zaqrack

done, with the limit of 18 months being a newbie.
I have also created a newbie league, but if a pipsqueak stops being a newbie his previous times are not shown here, so this is only an informational table, awards won't be handed out.

Also extended the rules and the 7th chapter of the newbie guide mentioning the newbie league.

Now it's your turn, please help me recruit as many new pipsqueaks as you can. Ghost-free of course.

Duplode

The dual-scoreboard layout looks pretty nice! I was going to object that a 18-month tenure seems too long, but actually that is not a problem - one year and a half guarantees newbies will get at least one nearly complete newbie league season (worst case being nine months split between two years). Therefore, only two questions remain:

• What happens when the 18-month period ends mid-season? Will the pipsqueak be kicked out of the Newbie League standings or further results will simply stop getting added?
  • What about experienced pipsqueaks returning from long breaks? Will they remain in the Newbie League as well?

zaqrack

Quote from: Duplode on January 10, 2009, 02:15:00 AM

• What happens when the 18-month period ends mid-season? Will the pipsqueak be kicked out of the Newbie League standings or further results will simply stop getting added?
  • What about experienced pipsqueaks returning from long breaks? Will they remain in the Newbie League as well?

1. At the current state of the system a pipsqueak is kicked out instantly after reaching the 18 months limit.
I may change this later but it requires quite a lot of coding.

2. No, they are re-set their registration date to the original one and are not included in the newbie league. Just like I did with Diesel Joe. (sorry!) We might make some exceptions with pipsqueaks who only sent one or two replays before...

Duplode

Quote from: zaqrack on January 10, 2009, 09:29:25 AM
1. At the current state of the system a pipsqueak is kicked out instantly after reaching the 18 months limit.
I may change this later but it requires quite a lot of coding.

There's an intermediate solution that may be easier to code (or not) and that you might find a good idea (or not  :)): Make the Newbie League season table so that all drivers are included - but obviously only newbies (within the 18-month limit) receive points according to the newbie race standings, non-newbies being stuck with zero points at the bottom. That way newcomers that spend nine or ten races on the newbie league won't be kicked altogether from the standings by November or so, even if they don't get points on the final races (on this season, that would affect Dstien for instance).

zaqrack

great idea and it may be feasible, I'll check on it soon.

zaqrack

finally I was able to code this modification. From now your previously earned newbie points count in the seasons ranking even if you are not a newbie anymore. We'll see whether it works fine after the first newbie will become a pro...