News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Melange XGT-88

Started by CTG, January 07, 2009, 01:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTG

Too bad: no Melange in ZakStunts this time. I decided to update the bodywork and the dashboard of this car in the next few weeks (if Alan allows me) and so we can already use the new design in the current USC season. Tell me your suggestions and ideas about the possible new look! The basic concept is the car linked by Alan earlier:

Duplode

A bit of cross-googling leads us to find this car is a racing modification of the Argentinian Dodge Polara (Alan: please correct us if this is wrong):

Other (old) pics of the standard model for extra inspiration can be found here: http://www.taringa.net/posts/autos-motos/1306591/Test-Dodge-%5DPolara-RT--1974.html .

This 3D model looks cool as well:

A personal observation: I always imagined the Melange not as a full-fledged race car, but more as an classy Grand Tourer, in the style of the 4-seater Ferraris for instance (complete with the rockets and the secret agent gadgets of course  :)). Now I wonder if, exploiting a bit the Stunts low-res models and our imaginations, it is possible to make a race car that looks sleek and elegant like a Grand Tourer...

CTG

First design plan for Melange...

Duplode

Nice beginning, glad to see progress... I feel the car might benefit from looking a little "older" - perhaps a bit more vertical wind shield and a "tilted up" rear-side window (more or less following the black stripes on the yellow car of the post above), for instance.

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on March 10, 2009, 12:39:08 AM
Nice beginning, glad to see progress... I feel the car might benefit from looking a little "older" - perhaps a bit more vertical wind shield and a "tilted up" rear-side window (more or less following the black stripes on the yellow car of the post above), for instance.

Since Melange is fast like hell - IMSA level - I think it should look like a real racing car, not a tuned oldie (that could be a street version of Melange with lower top speed and worse turning abilities). Shape is more or less ready (of course some modifications will take place), it needs only some display bugfixes. Dashboard will be another difficulty...

Chulk

That last pic looks great!
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

zaqrack

I'd be glad to see Melange in 2010 as the 15th Zakstunts car

CTG

Quote from: zaqrack on March 10, 2009, 01:59:41 PM
I'd be glad to see Melange in 2010 as the 15th Zakstunts car

Be sure it will be there... :)

Duplode

Somehow the second pic looks much better (maybe it's the colour, or the more evident large wheel arches). I have to agree it feels just right  :)

Quote from: CTG on March 10, 2009, 12:30:39 PM
Dashboard will be another difficulty...

Maybe not - Unless you're aiming for a full-blown racing car dashboard I don't see much need of distancing too much from the original Melange/LM002 looks (everybody loves it, right?), other than getting rid of the disabled speedometer of course and replacing it with some extra eyecandy (maybe inserting the digital meter in its place?). The wooden dashboard reminds me of the classic late 60's Pontiac GTO (attached), which is quite appropriate in this context. Anyway, I'll be glad to provide technical assistance should the need arise  ;)

CTG

First version of Melange dashboard...  ;)

Chulk

I like the desing, but I don't like the colours much. Great job anyway! BTW, is it possible to change dashboard colour according to car colour? (Dup, Dstein?)

CTG

Quote from: Chulk on March 13, 2009, 02:23:40 PM
I like the desing, but I don't like the colours much. Great job anyway!

Thanks. Of course waiting for suggestions about color set... :)

BTW, is it possible to change dashboard colour according to car colour?

As far as I know you can't change it. Car's color settings are in the 3d file, while dashboard files are layered image systems.

CTG

Slightly modified version, game view (versus BMW Sauber 2009 ;)): no red text on the dashboard, a little bit more "shaped" design. Roof part is still a question (light blue - white doesn't really fit) - but the current one is in the honour of Alan Rotoi, creator of this wonderful car.

Chulk

Nice! And I like how BMW Sauber looks from behind.

Duplode

Cool, very cool - gotta love the gadgets! The dashboard does not look very Stunts-ish, but that only makes it more interesting. And I actually liked the looks of the roof stripes...

A few semi-technical suggestions on the dashboard:

• It would be better to have 0/4/8/12 as numbers on the rev-meter instead of 0/5/10/15 - it is closer to the actual rpm values for Melange
  • Also, IMO the gearbox would look more natural without the numbers (maybe you could add some decorations on the gear knob instead).
  • If you feel the need for more detailed textures for parts of the dashboard (for instance, the gearbox), there is a simple Photoshop (or GIMP) trick to make textures similar to the in-game ones. Select a small bit of textured dashboard from an original car (or prepare a little bit of texture if you want to use a new one)and use the "Clone" tool to paint the part of the Melange dashboard you want to apply the texture with (say) vertical mouse movements. Once it's over, select some of the area you just paint and use Clone again to overwrite the painting - but now use horizontal instead of vertical mouse strokes. Repeat a few times and the texture should look very natural and random.
  • There was another thing, but I can't remember it...

Quote from: CTG on March 13, 2009, 03:04:02 PM
Thanks. Of course waiting for suggestions about color set... :)

Red (light, shiny red) is a must, and golden should look pretty good too. And violet, of course  :)

Quote from: CTG on March 13, 2009, 03:04:02 PM
BTW, is it possible to change dashboard colour according to car colour?

As far as I know you can't change it. Car's color settings are in the 3d file, while dashboard files are layered image systems.

That's right, there is just a set of bitmaps per car, sadly.