News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Everything about computers

Started by CTG, January 23, 2007, 12:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My web browser is...

Internet Explorer
3 (13%)
Firefox
9 (39.1%)
Opera
2 (8.7%)
Google Chrome
6 (26.1%)
Safari
1 (4.3%)
Konqueror
1 (4.3%)
else
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Krys TOFF

What I don't like with small screen notebook is that there's no numpad. Problem with big screen notebooks that have a numpad : limitation of time to use the notebook on battery only.

CTG

Diary of the first day... (fluent updates)

First impression is mixed:

- a bit loud ventilator and CD-ROM - but quite silent when there's no constant cooling
- XP installation crashed into unexpected problems (SATA) - seems to be fixed, I was just too stupid
- a bit annoying blue LEDs (but who cares as long as they are small :D)

XP installation just started

Two partitions: 40 GB for Windows/games/softwares/whatever, 280 GB for my stuff. During the installation process I try to burn the drivers on CD with a computer having no such a software... Let's see if Nero is working from my old HDD or not.

Battery couldn't "survive" the installation process (with re-re-re-restarted installation of course, after ~2 hours), so I have to restart it again. Damn!

CTG

Question for Stunts movie makers: how did you cut videos for YouTube? Lately I was using a bit difficult method: capturing by DOS-Box, then capturing the video from Media Player Classic with 'Snag It' software and the final version with additional music and titles was made in Windows Movie Maker or ProShow Gold (these two softwares couldn't handle DOS-Box videos, that's the reason of more steps).

zaqrack

My method used on windows:

what you need to install (all free software)
-Xvid codec (www.xvid.org)
-VirtualDub (virtualdub.sourceforge.net)

The method:
-capture with DosBox
-use VirtualDub to convert the captured files to Xvid
-you may also cut the unwanted parts with Virtualdub, but you can also do this in windows movie maker
-cut and finalize with Windows Movie Maker

if you only try to edit the captured files in movie maker, you won't be able to save the file.
the process is thoroughly demonstrated in this youtube tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VDrWmstSdE

BonzaiJoe

Hi guys!

Now it seems I am also getting a new computer, preferably a notebook. I was so impressed with the advice here during CTG's decision-making, so I'll dare to post as well :)

My criteria for this new computer:

- must have 80GB+ hard drive

- must be silent, only make a small amount of noise

- must be compatible with my keyboard (musical kind) through an external sound card

- must have reasonably strong battery, which will last.

- the cheaper the better, of course

Things that are NOT important for this new computer:

- graphics acceleration

- weight (although of course extreme cases could be a problem)

- processor speed (of course it does make a difference, but I don't need to have something state-of-the-art)

Do you have suggestions about what kind of computer to look for then? I'm not so happy with my current Fujitsu Siemens one.
But we can't be quite sure.

zaqrack

Let's see...

80GB hard drive - not an issue. All of the computers have more nowadays

if silence is an issue you should opt for an Intel Core2 processor. AMD heats up fast, and so the fan is spinning more, which makes noise. If speed is irrevelant choose any core2 you find.
Also, a good quality case reduces noise. The keyboard should not sink when pressed, you should not be able to flex the casing with your hands. This is exceptionally good at Dell and IBM computers.

external sound card - I guess that depends more on the operating system. You should check whether win vista supports your card.

battery - 6cell at least, preferably 9cell will do the trick.

I can suggest the same brands I did for CTG.

CTG

Quote from: zaqrack on February 03, 2009, 08:40:32 AM
AMD heats up fast, and so the fan is spinning more, which makes noise.

Sure, if you use it for CPU killer things... but! AMD has an additional software with "intelligent" CPU speed and cooler control using only as much energy as you need. Sometimes it's annoying for me: when I browse the internet or read MSN logs, it simply goes at 500 MHz and it's just a bit slow. On the other hand, it work's fine with games at high CPU speed - and warming up easily, using the cooler a lot...

CTG

Hint to LTB hunters: I'll be away for 12-18 hours after midnight as my firewall's licence (trial) will expire in an hour. New one will be installed in the afternoon/evening.

BonzaiJoe

Great advice so far, thank you!

The next question is where? Do you know some good (+ cheap) places to buy a computer online? I'm sure it must be cheaper than using a retail store here in Denmark.
But we can't be quite sure.

zaqrack

there are plenty of shops, I'll look up some for you. Just be careful for two things when buying online:

- get a notebook with worldwide guarantee coverage. Some guarantees are only valid in the country of purchase
- stay away from refurbished notebooks - they are risky
- factory outlet shops are a good source for a nice deal
- stay within the EU. USA prices are significantly lower, but taxes can be tricky.
- as the Danish currency did not drop much (which can not be said on the poor old Hungarian Forint), I recommend looking up some shops from the UK. Even though UK prices are generally high, their currency has fallen a lot, you can maybe get a good deal.

Chulk

Quote from: zaqrack on February 23, 2009, 10:17:11 AM
- as the Danish currency did not drop much (which can not be said on the poor old Hungarian Forint), I recommend looking up some shops from the UK. Even though UK prices are generally high, their currency has fallen a lot, you can maybe get a good deal.
Advices on PC and economic situation news, all in one, ladies and gentlemen!
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

zaqrack

I'm an economist after all, even if I hide it well :D

Chulk

Quote from: zaqrack on February 24, 2009, 08:40:47 AM
I'm an economist after all, even if I hide it well :D
Hey, you better keep hiding it! I don't mess with your professional affairs!
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

Downloading and uploading speed test: http://speedtest.datanet.hu/datanet.html

I have to say goodbye to this after June (after 8 years)...  ::) :-\

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

A new Asus widescreen LCD monitor has just been bought due to the previous one broke down earlier today. My net addict mother decided to replace the old by a new one quickly.  ;D
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km