News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts WIKI

Started by BonzaiJoe, December 30, 2007, 03:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTG

ISA and IRC were the same Indy competition with the same pipsqueaks, but different managers (Pershing II and Mingva). I think you mustn't write separate articles for each of them.

BonzaiJoe

Quote from: CTG on March 07, 2010, 08:54:34 AM
ISA and IRC were the same Indy competition with the same pipsqueaks, but different managers (Pershing II and Mingva). I think you mustn't write separate articles for each of them.

I don't agree. They have different names and different designs and ran at different times. ISA was monumental in Stunts history and I think it should have its own article.
I can see how the other option is easier though, and whatever you do is fine as long as the article is good.
But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on March 07, 2010, 08:57:54 AM
Quote from: CTG on March 07, 2010, 08:54:34 AM
I don't agree. They have different names and different designs and ran at different times. ISA was monumental in Stunts history and I think it should have its own article.
I can see how the other option is easier though, and whatever you do is fine as long as the article is good

BJ: check http://irc.stunts.hu! How did Mingva quote ISA?

Quote2003 Latest News || Site of season'2002 is available here!

He considered IRC as the re-designed ISA. Pershing assigned the manager right to him.

Mingva

ISA competition and IRC must be in separate articles with the See also note in both :) The ISA competition was Pershing's idea, I only didn't let to die in the middle of it. ISA/IRC design is the same because I moved all data to my web-space and simplified the old ISA look to match IRC. In that time I considered those competitions similar but not the same.

Besides original ISA had his own old-skool drivers, while IRC had strict rules and all that analysis/report articles.

CTG

Quote from: Mingva on March 07, 2010, 12:48:38 PM
ISA competition and IRC must be in separate articles with the See also note in both :) The ISA competition was Pershing's idea, I only didn't let to die in the middle of it. ISA/IRC design is the same because I moved all data to my web-space and simplified the old ISA look to match IRC. In that time I considered those competitions similar but not the same.

Besides original ISA had his own old-skool drivers, while IRC had strict rules and all that analysis/report articles.

Okay, who cares about Mingva? :P ;D

kidding

Duplode

Okay, separate articles  :) I won't attempt to start any sort of merged "ISA and IRC competitions" article, then.

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on March 07, 2010, 03:12:24 PM
Okay, separate articles  :) I won't attempt to start any sort of merged "ISA and IRC competitions" article, then.

ISA was better. ;D

dstien

Quote from: Duplode on February 08, 2010, 06:28:14 PM
A weird new bug has appeared out of nowhere on the Wiki. While adding stressed screen shots to this page I tried to frame the images as thumbnails with captions the usual way, but it didn't work. I left a broken thumbnail there so you can see the error. It seems to be something to do with (global) PHP settings versus ImageMagick. The closest thing to a sane reply I could google was http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual_talk:Image_Administration#Error_creating_thumbnail:_Unable_to_run_external_programs_in_safe_mode. .
So... Any plans to fix it, Zak? While you're at it, upgrade MediaWiki and enable SVG rendering. ;)

Duplode

Quote from: dstien on March 14, 2010, 05:13:20 PM
Quote from: Duplode on February 08, 2010, 06:28:14 PM
A weird new bug has appeared out of nowhere on the Wiki. While adding stressed screen shots to this page I tried to frame the images as thumbnails with captions the usual way, but it didn't work. I left a broken thumbnail there so you can see the error. It seems to be something to do with (global) PHP settings versus ImageMagick. The closest thing to a sane reply I could google was http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual_talk:Image_Administration#Error_creating_thumbnail:_Unable_to_run_external_programs_in_safe_mode. .
So... Any plans to fix it, Zak? While you're at it, upgrade MediaWiki and enable SVG rendering. ;)

I had to look up again at related PHP issues for the latest update of SCST site. That problem occurs because the webhost (not Zak) has changed PHP settings to safe mode, and thus there is no way to use ImageMagick. The most appropriate workaround seems to be commenting out $wgUseImageMagick = true; in LocalSettings.php . Doing so will make MediaWiki revert to using GD for creating the thumbs, and GD does work in the server (I used it for the Track Viewer).

Gutix

I found this page of a disappeared competition in the year 2005. Maybe could be added to competition section.

Here is the link: http://stuntsbrasil.br.tripod.com/competidores/parciais.htm

Duplode

Spambots have become significantly more active on the Wiki over the last few months. Right now, for instance, I checked it after a few days and there were maybe 60 bogus edits...  :-\ I guess we will have to consider some preventive measures if it keeps up like this.

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on November 06, 2011, 02:14:04 AM
Spambots have become significantly more active on the Wiki over the last few months. Right now, for instance, I checked it after a few days and there were maybe 60 bogus edits...  :-\ I guess we will have to consider some preventive measures if it keeps up like this.

Posting must be restricted: only registered users should edit the articles.

Duplode

Quote from: CTG on November 06, 2011, 10:04:40 AM
Quote from: Duplode on November 06, 2011, 02:14:04 AM

Posting must be restricted: only registered users should edit the articles.

Most of the spam actually comes from user accounts, so unfortunately that wouldn't have much of an effect. Perhaps some combination of word/IP blacklisting and captchas could be of use; we'd have to evaluate our options.

JTK

Who is Stunts Wiki administrator? See the last changes, the wiki became fully spammed :-(
Vintage Stunts Racing at http://www.kalpen.de

Duplode

For a while I have been trying to revert the spam once a week or so, but if it keeps building up at such a rate I'm not sure that it will be possible to keep it up manually... in the latest two waves of spam there were anonymous "editors" targeting real articles (as opposed to registered "users" creating single-purpose pages), so there may be a case for disabling anonymous edits as an emergency measure before adding better countermeasures.