News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts WIKI

Started by BonzaiJoe, December 30, 2007, 03:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaqrack

I will try now to upgrade the wiki software, hope it solves the problem.

zaqrack

Quote from: zaqrack on December 30, 2011, 05:45:44 PM
I will try now to upgrade the wiki software, hope it solves the problem.

updated to latest Mediawiki 1.18. We had a stack from 2007 without any updates applied. It was not an easy job, but done. Hope it will help controlling spam.

BonzaiJoe

Great job! Hope it works. Also good work by Duplode removing all the spam.
But we can't be quite sure.

JTK

Vintage Stunts Racing at http://www.kalpen.de

Gutix

Duplode

Thus far we only had 4 spam incidents since the update. Not bad at all, indeed :)

zaqrack

To end wiki spam for good I have made the following changes to the wiki:

- anonymous editing is disabled
- user creation is limited to sysops (dstien, Duplode, JTK, zaqrack)

I decided to perform these drastic measures as spam was uncontrollable again despite the upgrade. Also, this is a quite closed community. It is very unlikely someone outside the well-known names would like to add new content.

current registered users are the following:

•  Zaqrack  (Created on 30 December 2007 at 21:12)
•  Duplode  (Created on 30 December 2007 at 22:21)
•  Mark L. Rivers (Created on 30 December 2007 at 23:49)
•  Masterctg (Created on 31 December 2007 at 02:31)
•  Krys Toff (Created on 31 December 2007 at 11:01)
•  BonzaiJoe (Created on 31 December 2007 at 17:55)
•  JTK (Created on 6 January 2008 at 15:42)
•  Dstien  (Created on 2 March 2008 at 23:30)
•  Chulk (Created on 30 July 2008 at 19:32)
•  Mingva (Created on 14 June 2009 at 07:07)
•  Akosspoo (Created on 27 April 2010 at 12:13)
•  SuperBrian?? (Created on 29 January 2009 at 01:18)

If anybody else wants to get on the list and become a wiki editor, contact me or Duplode.

unfortunately I was unable to mass delete the formerly created spammer accounts (mass user delete extension is not working with mediawiki 1.18) - but as all of them were only used to perform a single edit, I don't think this will cause a problem.
Duplode, if you can help with a mass block (I don't know how to do that), it would be very helpful.

Duplode

Quote from: zaqrack on February 03, 2012, 10:13:53 PM
I decided to perform these drastic measures as spam was uncontrollable again despite the upgrade. Also, this is a quite closed community. It is very unlikely someone outside the well-known names would like to add new content.

What has to be done has to be done. (Side note: Robert Riebisch once left a message as an anon; and there might have been enough useful edits by outsiders to use up the fingers of one hand. I'm quite willing, however, to ignore related concerns in order to preserve our sanity...)

Quote from: zaqrack on February 03, 2012, 10:13:53 PM
Duplode, if you can help with a mass block (I don't know how to do that), it would be very helpful.

There seems to be no useful way to perform a mass block of users (as opposed to IPs), not even with extensions. A rather less elegant trick, which I just activated for testing, is to disable edit rights for registered users and create a 'trusted' group with edit rights for the above-mentioned accounts(*). Do you think that is enough?

(*) I also included Antti (Created on 31 August 2008 at 22:15, likely to be this pipsqueak) and PIGSgrame (Created on 3 January 2011 at 00:42, known to be a legitimate editor).

JTK

What for do we need the mass block if anonymous editing is not allowed anymore (or do I just not understand here)?

Duplode

Due to the many existing spammer accounts (most of these are probably already blocked, though).

JTK

Quote from: Duplode on February 07, 2012, 12:09:19 AM
Due to the many existing spammer accounts (most of these are probably already blocked, though).
That's what I meant - if yo can only edit when you are not anonymous, isn't that protection enough?

CTG

Is there anybody still using Stunts Wiki?

zaqrack

I am updating the ZakStunts medal table regularly :)

BonzaiJoe

I've been there from time to time. I guess it's more interesting for outsiders.
But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on October 11, 2012, 03:49:17 PM
I guess it's more interesting for outsiders.

Unless we try to upload more and more statistics there. Numbers are always interesting.