News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Dual-way misery

Started by CTG, February 06, 2012, 10:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is there a need for restrictions to avoid unashamed shortcuts?

Yes, "two-tiles" shortcuts kill the dual-way tracks
1 (16.7%)
It depends on the track (so yes for ZCT 136)
4 (66.7%)
It depends on the track (so no for ZCT 136)
0 (0%)
No, this bug is an essential part of the game (designers must be more careful)
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

CTG

BonzaiJoe

Generally we accept all bugs, because bugs make the game unique and open space for creativity. However, there are banned bugs: for example the "quick-finish" bug.  In a sense, the way-switch bug is similar to the quick-finish bug, only far less destructive for the track. Unlike interesting bugs like power gear and magic carpets, it's not that great. Either you figure it out or you don't figure out. It does make for a different kind of racing though - not so realistic but a bit more varied and idea-based.
But we can't be quite sure.

Duplode

I would have liked a restriction for Z127, mostly because its design relies so strongly on the assumption of no dual-way switching. That being said, any blanket restriction on DWS, or even two-tile DWS, wouldn't be good at all. So that means a "weak"/unconcerned vote for #2 from me.

alanrotoi

Knowing CTG, I will vote against his vote, because he always cheat.

CTG

Knowing Rotoi, I voted against my real opinion (double trick, muhahahahaha). ;D Kidding.

How can I cheat this time? With the original way? Duplode, BJ and Gutix will be faster than me (and many other pipsqueaks, too). With the tricky shortcut? Everybody can find it out.

Friker

what is a quick-finish bug?

BonzaiJoe

In dual-way tracks where the paths divide right at the beginning of the track, you can simply drive forward and then turn your car sharply and go back towards the finish line, and the game will record you as having finished, without penalty time. You can get ridiculous finish times like 0.02.75.
But we can't be quite sure.

alanrotoi

Duplode

That has also caused interesting situations in ZCT85 (check that race's topic) and specially, if you're willing to dig a bit deeper, SDR '07 RH Round 9 / "Funny".

Chulk

I think a decision has to be made in order to keep the rest as clear as possible. I think if trick is allowed, it should be told to everyone racing, as not everyone is aware of it. I would rather take the trick out as it will kill most of the fun, but the poll is 3-3, so...
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Duplode

Quote from: Chulk on February 08, 2012, 03:11:47 AM
I think if trick is allowed, it should be told to everyone racing, as not everyone is aware of it.

+1, given the circumstances. In fact, I have just prepared a didactic USC-ish video which I intend to, if there aren't major objections, make public if/when Zak confirms the shortcut won't be disallowed (without a strong consensus I don't think he would choose to disallow it).

zaqrack

any more votes? we need to decide by the end of this week.

gagarin

zaqrack

OK, poll closed. Way switching is not allowed on this track. Deleting involved replays and notifying pipsqueaks.

gagarin

Quote from: zaqrack on February 12, 2012, 06:55:05 AM
OK, poll closed. Way switching is not allowed on this track. Deleting involved replays and notifying pipsqueaks.

Big like.