News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Started by CTG, October 21, 2002, 09:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on January 14, 2015, 12:47:54 PM
Nope. It's a strange middle way (if you're in PG anyway and can drive on the grass, why don't you just do a PG slide corner instead of braking?)

For me, it's the most effective middle way.

PG slide: would result in much less finished laps, not worthy
driving on the ramp: difficult to brake (for me) before the bridge in time
driving left from the ramp: the paved left corner would be sharper, chance to finish with penalty unwantedly
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

CTG

Quote from: Akoss Poo on January 14, 2015, 10:36:50 AM
It is a 'longcut' instead of a shortcut, since I drive a longer way than originally, but I think it is worthy. Have you ever tried this way?

The last time I used that way was in late 2001, when I tested the cheat cars (Lada Niva, Knight Rider). However, I think Default noRH racing has an unwritten rule: you have to make a close-to-OWOOT lap (you can leave the road only in chicanes or accidentally).

Quote from: CTG on January 14, 2015, 01:15:00 PM
Quote from: Akoss Poo on January 14, 2015, 10:36:50 AM
It is a 'longcut' instead of a shortcut, since I drive a longer way than originally, but I think it is worthy. Have you ever tried this way?

The last time I used that way was in late 2001, when I tested the cheat cars (Lada Niva, Knight Rider). However, I think Default noRH racing has an unwritten rule: you have to make a close-to-OWOOT lap (you can leave the road only in chicanes or accidentally).

It's the first time I used this was in early 2014. In my opinion if I can leave the road in chicanes (and cut the corkscrew instead of driving around), I can drive close to the ramp as well, this is the same extent of help for me. I think the unwritten rule is only the prohibition of dual-way change. I consider these 'longcut' laps as 100% legal default no-RH laps, available to reach records with it, though my record was done without this little trick.

629.09 km

BonzaiJoe

In any case, I guess it would be faster to jump left of the ramp and cut the curve in PG.
But we can't be quite sure.

BonzaiJoe

The unwritten rule of this way of driving on Default is that you cannot save time by leaving the road. The chicane is an exception to this for the simple reason that it would be very difficult to navigate the chicane in noRH. And in any case, all the chicane squares are a road. It only looks like a chicane. It's only graphics. You're not actually driving on grass.

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on January 14, 2015, 01:37:42 PM
In any case, I guess it would be faster to jump left of the ramp and cut the curve in PG.

But then you would be slower in the last two corners (from PG, I think, you should turn to third gear), I don't think that would be worthy. But you can try, in my eyes, only a dual-way-cut replay is an unreal Default record.

629.09 km

CTG

Let's vote about that. :D

Btw the only thing I like in Poo's way is lowering the risk of bug crashes when you land on the bridge.

BonzaiJoe

Quote from: Akoss Poo on January 14, 2015, 01:42:54 PM
Quote from: BonzaiJoe on January 14, 2015, 01:37:42 PM

But then you would be slower in the last two corners (from PG, I think, you should turn to third gear), I don't think that would be worthy. But you can try, in my eyes, only a dual-way-cut replay is an unreal Default record.

That makes a little more sense. But of course, it means that inevitably, a noRH record attempt will have to do corkscrew-PG-spin and keep PG until the curve after the ramp. This is difficult, but clearly possible to do in noRH, and replays with this trick will be at least 5 seconds faster than those without it.

I've just driven 1:02.50. This is a lower value than my old home computer record (which is probably not my record, since I think I had 1:02.10/40 on the university CPU).

629.09 km

CTG

Quote from: Akoss Poo on January 14, 2015, 02:28:40 PM
I've just driven 1:02.50. This is a lower value than my old home computer record (which is probably not my record, since I think I had 1:02.10/40 on the university CPU).

It seems I have to try this way... ::)

But still, I suggest to keep the old records with driving on the bridge. If you do 1:01.90 with this way, it will be a weaker replay IN GENERAL than your 1:02.10/40 was.

Well, first finished lap this evening: 1:03.45 with STAYING ON THE RAMP.

It seems I'm in good shape, probably in the best since 2005. The constant no-replay handing driving on USC and ZSC tracks brought its result. Well, the goal is the WSM 2004 form (and a sub-1:02 Default lap, no matter how) - maybe there will be a WSM this year again (and maybe the small keyboard won't hinder my results like in 2008... only alcohol is an okay reason to be lame in a Stunts race).

629.09 km

Well, it's 1:02.10 now, but with not staying on the ramp. Now it is sure that this is my no RH no dual-way change Default record all time.

629.09 km

Well, I did 1:03.10 with STAYING ON THE RAMP.

I think for me, the leaving of the ramp in powergear means around 0.7-0.8 seconds.

629.09 km

CTG

Quote from: Akoss Poo on January 14, 2015, 08:49:27 PM

I think for me, the leaving of the ramp in powergear means around 0.7-0.8 seconds.

I guess it's more than 1 second for me, because I almost never take the risk with late braking.

Duplode

Quote from: CTG on January 14, 2015, 01:15:00 PM
However, I think Default noRH racing has an unwritten rule: you have to make a close-to-OWOOT lap (you can leave the road only in chicanes or accidentally).

FWIW that is my interpretation as well.

Quote from: Akoss Poo on January 14, 2015, 08:49:27 PM

Pretty good. (I should try it again BTW.)