News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

stressed - Stunts Resource Editor

Started by Duplode, March 09, 2021, 03:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

(We surprisingly didn't have a non-locked thread solely dedicated to Stressed, so I'm creating one.)

An updated Stressed executable for Windows is now available through Southern Cross and the sticky post at the custom cars subforum. It fixes the GAME.PRE issue reported the other day by GTAMan, and incorporates a number of other improvements which had only been available by building Stressed from the source code. Quoting the changelog in the aforementioned sticky, here is a list of them:

• Prevent flickering when switching between resources.
  • Added more text resource ids from GAME.PRE/MAIN.RES/TEDIT.PRE.
  • Safeguards against overwriting packed files when saving.
  • Fixed ".sfx" unpacked extension.
  • Improvements to resource size guessing.
  • Default option for parsing unknown resources is to treat as raw data.
  • Import and export of binary data of raw resources as binary data.
  • Added a "move to" action to the materials list.
  • Adjustments for building with QT 5.15 and MSVC 2019.

Cas

Great!  It's true!  How come we didn't have a thread for it before all this time?  I'm still using the Windows binary with Wine because I wasn't able to compile it under Linux Mint.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

GTAManRCR

Either I couldn't compile it under Windows 10
Hejj bicska, bicska, bicska csantavéri kisbicska!

Daniel3D

@Duplode, your update of caredit made me think of a little issue i have with stressed.
Resources have at the beginning of the file a value for the file size. This is not always correct and stressed refuses to load the file.
"File length is x, expected length y. I will not open it"
I work around it sometimes by editing the size byte or by trimming the file if possible.
But it would be better if stressed would crash on it.
Either, trim the file if the excess is empty or correct the size byte.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Duplode

Quote from: Daniel3D on January 08, 2023, 04:50:46 PMEither, trim the file if the excess is empty or correct the size byte.

Possibly, though we might want to tread carefully when silently adjusting files -- even the innocuous reordering I came up with for the CarEdit bugfix made me a bit uneasy. Something I can see working out okay would be, when detecting the mismatch upon loading the file, Stressed offering to either trim the file unconditionally or cancel the loading. I'll look into it when I get to look at the code again. (That should happen in a not so distant future -- Stunpack currently seems to need a patch to be built with recent gcc.)

Daniel3D

Well, since the file ain't broken stressed could als just ignore the size byte and read the file as it is.
(Maybe with a warning and a menu option to fix if the file gives problems)
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)