News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Melange XGT-88 19th anniversary

Started by alanrotoi, May 22, 2021, 07:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

The updated model does look nice!  :) The one suggestion I have is for the order of the car colours being kept as close as possible to the one in the previous model, so that colour choices in old replays are for the most part retained. If need be, the most recent version of Stressed I posted about a while ago has a command to easily reorder car colours.

alanrotoi

Quote from: Duplode on May 25, 2021, 12:07:21 AM
The updated model does look nice!  :) The one suggestion I have is for the order of the car colours being kept as close as possible to the one in the previous model, so that colour choices in old replays are for the most part retained. If need be, the most recent version of Stressed I posted about a while ago has a command to easily reorder car colours.

Ooh! I didn't take it in mind! I'll reorder to the previous order. Meanwhile I'm working in the dashboard.

alanrotoi

New dashboard in progress...

- A dark blue dashboard
- new font for digital speedometer
- white numbers

This part is quiet slow at least I'll show a prototype.

Cas

Wow!  It's going to look amazing.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Ryoma

Daniel3D

Quote from: alanrotoi on May 27, 2021, 01:00:12 AM

- A dark blue dashboard
- white numbers

It's beautiful, but I kind of liked the idea of a proximity sensor on the old one.
So I will keep a backup of the old one in one of my stunts versions. Hard to let go of it  ;)
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

alanrotoi

Quote from: Daniel3D on May 27, 2021, 12:11:01 PM
Quote from: alanrotoi on May 27, 2021, 01:00:12 AM

- A dark blue dashboard
- white numbers

It's beautiful, but I kind of liked the idea of a proximity sensor on the old one.
So I will keep a backup of the old one in one of my stunts versions. Hard to let go of it  ;)

Honestly the left part is only graphics. The main part of the the dashboard is the digital speedometer and the rpm. I'm trying to make it "more realistic" but the dashboard is under construction so I'm opened to suggestions and new ideas. Also for the rest of the dashboard.

BTW about dimensions, how is the maximum height of every part? And what's the "transparent" color?

Ryoma

Transparent color is black in indexed bmp for the the dast and insX. White for dasm and inmX.

Cas

Alan... what do you mean about maximum height of every part?  I'd like to help
About transparency, Ryoma is correct. To be more specific, it seems to me that Stunts uses a masking strategy that works like this:

- First, take the mask image and apply it via an AND bitwise operator
- Then, take the graphical image and apply it via an OR bitwise operator on top of the previous result

So what you normally do is use colours 255 (for "keep old pixels") and 0 (for "replace with image") in the mask and use colour 0 in the image to make sure it does not modified the non-zero pixels when you OR it.

If my speculation is correct (and it very likely is, because this is the most intuitive way to produce a simple mask that's really fast on old computers), then using a colour other than zero in the graphical image would cause the colour indices to merge resulting in values that you most likely don't want, but... this might be exploitable if you know what you're doing. Using colours other than 0 and 255 in the mask could also be used for similar purposes, but it would be more difficult to make that useful. Stunts palette is not organised in powers of two, so nothing very beautiful can come out of this, I think.

KyLiE

The new dashboard looks great! :) As I've said before, creating the dashboard can be a very tedious and time-consuming process.

alanrotoi

- 3d shape finished
- paintjob fixed
- dashboard finished (99%)

Test driving the car. I don't show the compete dashboard yet because it has some easter eggs ;D It will be revealed soon!

Cas

I'm looking forward to try the complete new Melange!! :D

CTG

Quote from: KyLiE on May 28, 2021, 01:35:59 PM
The new dashboard looks great! :) As I've said before, creating the dashboard can be a very tedious and time-consuming process.

That's probably the most annoying part of car editing. Nice work, Mr. Rotoi!

alanrotoi

Dashboard finished! There are some special elements/details/improvements that you can find. Could you find them? ::)

KyLiE

That looks amazing! :D So far I have noticed:

• Satellite navigation with Stunts aesthetic.
  • The "S" from the Stunts logo appears next to the air vents.
  • The shield in your signature appears under the gear stick.
Are there any more?