News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Is there a way to race multiple opponents simultaneously?

Started by dukeofurl, July 01, 2021, 10:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dukeofurl

I only recently joined the forum here and started reading about how you folks have done cool things to hack stunts... I didn't see anything mentioning it but, do you suppose it would be possible to modify things in order to race more than one opponent at the same time?

Daniel3D

Within the boundaries of the game as it is there is no way to play against more than one opponent.
We can't modify the main game engine.

We also can't upgrade graphics or add track elements.

To make changes to that there are two ways we are currently exploring.

• port the game to c based code learn how it works and modify it
  • rewrite the game from scratch
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

dukeofurl

What about the custom cars though, those seem to be new or modified 3d elements?  I take it the 3D track pieces are not similarly modifiable.

Daniel3D

The cars are well defined separate files and mostly understood.
Track elements are part of the main code.
We can easily change the 3D model but not the corresponding road and collision data.
So visual changes are possible, but not new types.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

dukeofurl

That's cool, even if the collision/dimension aspects can't be modified, has anyone remodeled any track pieces to look different?

Related question that doesn't deserve its own thread - do the dirt roads and icy roads actually handle differently than the normal roads?

Daniel3D

There have been some. A different tunnel and start finish. The problem is that they are all in two files. Its not easy to get them in the game.

dirt and ice roads handle differently for players. It seems that opponents don't really have trouble traversing them.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Cas

The original engine cannot handle more than one opponent at a time. Even if it were modded, it'd be really hard to implement more opponents. In memory, there's the space to load the information for "THE" current opponent and there's only one designated started position for him/her. A new engine should be created from scratch or an enormous amount of work should be put on modding the current one. With a new engine, several opponents at a time are not hard to implement. Much harder it is to simply create a fully functional collision mechanism, which is what got me stuck with the engine I've been making.

As Daniël said, cars are separate and it's more straightforward to edit them. They collision information is also very simple. In contrast, track elements have some information hard-coded in the game and the collision info that's not hard-coded is not very well understood yet and appears difficult to edit. There have been a number of visual modifications to the current 3D shapes. That can be done with Stressed.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.