News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts cracks and modifications

Started by Daniel3D, July 28, 2021, 10:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel3D

Quote from: Daniel3D on August 03, 2021, 10:40:25 PM
Quote from: llm on August 03, 2021, 09:17:05 AM
attached are the stunpack-unpacked-exepack-unpacked-combined cga,ega,mcga and tandy executable (create with the execombiner) of stunts 1.1
Thank you for creating these files.
I have a lot of trouble with this stuff.
It's irritating not managing anything related to coding. But luckily for me there is often someone who is interested.  ;D

Quotebut the game.exe you've got is exactly the In-Memory version of the exe which load.exe produces if MCGA is selected in config
the sound drv integration is a different project

Ok.
With /ssb I can use the soundblaster instead of the pc speaker. I guess the ad-lib uses the same.
But can I start with the mt driver as well?
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

llm

you can select every sound driver with /s[DRV-PREFIX]

/sPC
/sMT
/sAD
/sTD <- never tested - needs change machine= in dosbox config to support tandy stuff

Daniel3D

Edison once said,
---------
---------

Daniel3D

Besides testing if they start, menu's work and if there is sound and visual, I tried to race with one of the new game file's today. But the security check bit is still on...    :-\

Can that be hex edited? Or do they have to be recompiled?
Edison once said,
---------
---------

llm

QuoteCan that be hex edited? Or do they have to be recompiled?

Removing the check never involved recompiling, or reassembling, its just a byte in hex editor
Its already know for the mcga variant, need to look for the offset, but should be also easy to find for the other gfx version, as it is still the same code but at a different position

Daniel3D

that's good news.
I have plans for them  8)

the mcga version is basally the same as the game.exe from "bypassing load.exe" right?
the one that you added the game_ad.exe to for sound support..

If so, then that one doesn't have to be fixed, i can just grab and rename game.exe
Edison once said,
---------
---------

llm

Quote from: Daniel3D on August 08, 2021, 10:00:27 PM
the mcga version is basally the same as the game.exe from "bypassing load.exe" right?
the one that you added the game_ad.exe to for sound support..

Thats right

Daniel3D

Well, even with comparing the two versions (was has de bit flipt and the other not and knowing the offset. Two hours of looking at it in various ways in different programs (hex and binary editor's) I still don't have a clue... Dyslexia really gets in my way here...
Edison once said,
---------
---------

llm

Quote from: Daniel3D on August 09, 2021, 08:47:42 AM
Well, even with comparing the two versions (was has de bit flipt and the other not and knowing the offset. Two hours of looking at it in various ways in different programs (hex and binary editor's) I still don't have a clue... Dyslexia really gets in my way here...

first:
my mcga.exe is minor/micro different to clvn's version - i think he used a different EXEPACK unpacker - the file are nearly the same - except a block of ~100 Null-Bytes at the exe header-end (is padding, not functional relevant) - will recheck that after my vacation - which starts in 4h :)
UPDATE: UNP.EXE gives the exact same result as clvn - i was using a different exepack-unpacker (also filed a bug report)

second:
i know the code position where the check is for the mcga.exe (~some bytes early as clvn's said - due to my different sized exe-header)
by in need to analyze the other gfx versions - there is not a easy searchable hex pattern due to relocation (the normal dos exe loading process involves patching of segment adresses in code based on the exe-header-relocation table - which is complete different for the exes) - its the same code but not equaly placed in the executables

Daniel3D

I fully understand what you are saying. And yet it is no use to me. Doesn't matter.
I would appreciate it if you can 'flip the bit's' (don't know if that is technically correct, but I like the phrase) I can wait. Off course.

I'll work on the rest of the plan (with help, seems I can't do anything alone)
Edison once said,
---------
---------

llm

Quote from: Daniel3D on August 09, 2021, 10:21:57 AM
I fully understand what you are saying. And yet it is no use to me. Doesn't matter.

i hope its still funny then :)

I would appreciate it if you can 'flip the bit's' (don't know if that is technically correct, but I like the phrase) I can wait. Off course.

next week - maybe (i also want to analyse the hercules gfx - just to finish that stuff)

my idea is to fully automatize and document the process - what tools/sources needed etc.
maybe the GOG guys also start to package stunts for re-release some day - then its also easier for them :)

I'll work on the rest of the plan (with help, seems I can't do anything alone)

is it an evil plan :) - details?

Daniel3D

A GOG version would be cool. And with all the research that is done it would be a breeze for them.

Btw
/sTD <- never tested
Tested by CAS. Sort of.
Seems to work fine.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

llm

combined exes + password check removed

for cga,ega,mcga and tandy version (hercules is missing - because it take some time to figure out how the hercules-version is generated from the cga-version - i know so far: if the machine is not a hercules "load /u CGA /h /std" switches to the CGA and not the hercules mode (for which the /h is for))

i used the SKID prefix because i think were using the BB 1.1 version here and not the 4D-Sports Version

Daniel3D

You are correct. When using 4D sports gamefiles the game crashes.

Thanks for the updated files.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Daniel3D

I still believe that SKID was the working title or something like that. But making the prefix STUNTS will make the filename longer than 8 characters.
This causes trouble with systems that don't support long filenames.

This goes against the idea of better playability for old systems. So SKID it is and will be.
Edison once said,
---------
---------