News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

ZCT244 - Crazy Eight

Started by Duplode, October 18, 2021, 03:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

Quote from: dreadnaut on November 14, 2021, 01:49:26 PM
While checking replays, I have noticed that Alan's two besy laps do not replay correctly, with the car crashing against the entrance of the last tunnels.

I'll have to apply the "replays are valid if the play" rule here, and drop those results. The best replay that reaches the end is 1'14"15 -> 0'58"58, so the scoreboard would not be affected.

Well, now that this rule is in practice I just can't shake off the feeling it is really harsh... Ideally I'd like to see a more liberal rule for 2022, so later I'll have a closer look at how unstable replays behave and try to come up with a suggestion of alternative rule that accepts as many replays as possible while ruling out the truly pathological cases (e.g. Overdrijf's ZCT232 lap).

dreadnaut

Quote from: Duplode on November 14, 2021, 03:26:11 PM
Well, now that this rule is in practice I just can't shake off the feeling it is really harsh...

I does feel harsh, because the only solution is to re-drive the problematic section. On the other end, it is easy to verify a "risky" replay before submitting it. If it becomes a habit to check, it would be rarely applied. In a team it would happen naturally if you compare laps.

I think it would be very unfriendly to download a race archive and find out that the winning replay uses impossible-looking tricks and doesn't even run. "Oh, you just need to play it until the crash, rewind 1.722222 seconds, then continue double speed from the F4 camera, and it's fine!" doesn't cut it for me.

Cas

This was a lot of fun. Great race!
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

As for me, I would accept replays like Rotoi's. Earlier it was accepted in this competition without any doubt. It has something to do with the powergear bug, and the driver can't be blamed for that. IMO: if there is any way of watching the replay, it should be considered legal.

Btw I rated the track as a Melange track. As a Corvette track, it would have deserved a lower score, but I had drove the track only with the Melange. You know, race for fun - I'm many, many years beyond result-oriented racing.
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

alanrotoi

Quote from: Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister on November 16, 2021, 09:15:20 PM
Btw I rated the track as a Melange track. As a Corvette track, it would have deserved a lower score, but I had drove the track only with the Melange. You know, race for fun - I'm many, many years beyond result-oriented racing.

That replay from Duplode! I had a Corvette replay finished before I could match his lap with Melange. Then he sent his vett rpl so I could reply fast.
I agree this track was better with Melange or IMSA cars.

Daniel3D

Quote from: alanrotoi on November 16, 2021, 09:54:15 PM

That replay from Duplode! I had a Corvette replay finished before I could match his lap with Melange. Then he sent his vett rpl so I could reply fast.
I agree this track was better with Melange or IMSA cars.
I designed it with the DTM, melange and IMSA cars in mind, so thank you for the compliment.   8)

About power gear replays. (I can't do it myself so this is a sideline perspective and opinion)
I feel that when you exploit a bug you take a risk. Also you can test your replays yourself and you have unlimited uploads, so you can always upload backup one more for safety. Maybe a bit slower but won't take you out of the game.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

alanrotoi

As for me, I would accept replays like Rotoi's. Earlier it was accepted in this competition without any doubt. It has something to do with the powergear bug, and the driver can't be blamed for that. IMO: if there is any way of watching the replay, it should be considered legal.

BTW I also agree with this. I would accept this kind of replay but the last word of course is from the manager. There is a lot of work in those replays. We are exploiting bugs so we would accept not so straight replays if the replay system of the game is not effective enough.