News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Turismo Carretera (TC cars)

Started by alanrotoi, December 07, 2021, 04:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanrotoi

Turismo Carretera (Road Touring) is a popular stock car racing series in Argentina, and the oldest auto racing series still active in the world.

During the 1960s the category began employing high-end technologies, with local manufacturers investing heavily for prestige. Ford Motor Argentina and Chevrolet were main contenders, with Dodge to a lesser degree. The European brand Renault, which had merged with Industrias Kaiser Argentina (IKA) was also a contender. (taken from wikipedia)
Also they represent the Argentinian muscle cars. I'll build the 3D models in their best street version instead of a TC version because they would look almost the same. The cars are 4:

• IKA Torino TS
Argentinian pride and most representative car. It is almost sure it will have a wheel on the trunk.

• Ford Falcon Sprint
The Sprint version is the finest sport version of this classic.

• Chevrolet Chevy Serie 2
The "Chevrolet Nova" was launched under the name of "Chevrolet Chevy" in Argentina. The Super Sport Serie 2 is its most beatiful version.

• Dodge Polara GTX
The sport version of Polara was Dodge GTX in Argentina. I didn't started yet.

All the models aren't finished and needs a few details.

[/list]

KyLiE

That's very interesting and the 3D models look great!  I hadn't heard of Turismo Carretera until I saw the Melange XGT-88.

alanrotoi

Thank you! Yes in 2003 Melange was thought from the Torino Turismo Carretera version. It was only a basic and imaginary concept because there wasn't a tool like Stressed.

Now as stock cars I think these new cars should be slower than IMSA but with a good handling.

Daniel3D

Quote from: alanrotoi on December 08, 2021, 05:46:37 PM
Now as stock cars I think these new cars should be slower than IMSA but with a good handling.
Would that make them more like the DTM cars?
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

alanrotoi

I hope not.  ;D
There is something about their behavor I don't like. I would like the TC cars more similar to original cars. For example how they work on the grass or the different surfaces maybe in dtm cars is not that accurate from the logic of the original cars.

Cas

They really look great!  Do you intend, like is the case with the DTM pack, to have all cars in this set share their qualities to enough degree that they could be used together in a race without setting a handicap?
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

alanrotoi

Yes, the idea is to build them as a pack like IMSA or DTM with small but recognizable changes to make them unique.

alanrotoi

Cas

Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

alanrotoi

Back from vacations and finished the last 3d shape. Here are the fantastic four from Argentina :). Now I'm working in the dashboards.

Overdrijf

Quote from: alanrotoi on December 08, 2021, 11:17:03 PM
I hope not.  ;D
There is something about their behavor I don't like. I would like the TC cars more similar to original cars. For example how they work on the grass or the different surfaces maybe in dtm cars is not that accurate from the logic of the original cars.

The basic performance of the DTM cars was pretty much modeled more after the modern DTM cars than after the classics the looks were based on. One of the reasons I made that choice was that for me Stunts works best when I can pretend the mph figures are actually kph, so they need a little extra oomph to feel like a proper racing car. The handling was also done "this has racing tires" style, but I feel that was reasonably defensible. The relatively light and slow 90's classics would have been pretty nimble in their own right, the upgrade provides the same kind of experience at the new higher speeds.

I mean, stats like grip are always going to be a pretty wild guess, and there are a bunch of details wrong like I think the modern DTM cars have 7 gears and such, but, you know, rough acceleration and top speed and such. The early 90's cars were much slower, because back then it was still an actual touring car/stock car type of series with a lot less power under then hood then something like an IMSA car.

The cars your doing look bigger and more muscle car-ry, so power won't be the main thing keeping them down. The thing you'll have to keep low to make them feel realistic and accurate to the era might be grip. They're not ordinary road muscle cars, but they're still pretty long and wide and heavy, (Of course, car length in and of itself has a big impact on steering behavior in Stunts, so that's going to help a lot.)

Your models look great. nice and square and Stuntsy but with the kind of extra paintjob detail that separates the custom cars from the originals. I look forward to seeing them square off in a Race for Kicks race.

alanrotoi

I should be more specific about what I said of DTM cars. I enjoyed the cars and learn the small differences between both cars we used in zakstunts this year. The pair I didn't like was the grip difference when you turn in paved road and on the grass. It is too different if it's compared to the original cars and that was the hardest part to learn in game. If I have to say a car I dislike is the Skoda Felicia Kompressor. That kind of incomplete car is a car I don't like.

The idea to build a set of cars is yours, so I'm following your steps.

alanrotoi

By the way, I built all the models in car1. How do I "translate" the size to car0? I mean, is there a faster way to do it than changing every vertex one by one?

Overdrijf

Quote from: alanrotoi on December 31, 2021, 03:50:46 AM
I should be more specific about what I said of DTM cars. I enjoyed the cars and learn the small differences between both cars we used in zakstunts this year. The pair I didn't like was the grip difference when you turn in paved road and on the grass. It is too different if it's compared to the original cars and that was the hardest part to learn in game.

Really? Because I didn't touch those parameters. It's the same as in all original cars except for the rally cars and the LM002. Must be something about the main grip stat in combination with the length that interacts with that feeling. (Maybe even one of the mystery bites???)

Quote from: alanrotoi on December 31, 2021, 03:56:46 AM
By the way, I built all the models in car1. How do I "translate" the size to car0? I mean, is there a faster way to do it than changing every vertex one by one?

I don't remember the exact sequence of events, but export it/save it as a format other 3D programs can read, open it in the other program, scale it, import it back into Stressed. You'll need to re-add the wheels and all the paintjobs, but it's faster than copying the shape and manually scaling it. Because setting 8 colors to known values is faster than calculating and setting 9 values for the location of each polygon.

EDIT: Looks like I used the .obj file format and Anim8or as the program, it has a pretty easy scale function, even if I get very little about the rest of the program.

Daniel3D

You can copy paste the model in carworks.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)