News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Types of pipsqueaks

Started by alanrotoi, December 14, 2021, 04:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanrotoi

I would like to classify the races according to their behaviour. For example, Shoegazing Leo is a constant pipsqueak. Every month he's there and has few comments. I think he doesn't stay a lot of time in front of the game and maybe that's the key of his constant. Also his best positions are between 6th and 12th so it make me think his main goal isn't to win races. AbuRaf70 was also constant and has mostly better results but I think his goals were to be on top apart from race for fun.

Another type of pipsqueak are those "seasonal pipsqueaks" or "racelords" that appears from time to time keeping podium or high results but only with few participations. This year we had at least two: CTG and Akoss Poo. Other years we had FinRok or Renato Biker. They were top and constant pipsqueaks in the past but now they send few but killer laps.

At the beginning I was constant from 2002 to mid 2003. After that I was busy with 4dsL so I became more a "race for fun but I want to win" pipsqueak. I couldn't stand that so I changed to "Stunts teacher" in MeganiuM era. 2007 was a forgettable year IMHO in zakstunts and 2008 became a new era so I was more active but only a "race for fun". until 2021 I tryied to win some races and then jumped to reach the championship being more constant.

This is a work in progress. I'll complete later but please tell me what do you think and how would we call every type of pipsqueak. What other types are?

Cas

Well, you could count me on the first group, but at the same time, maybe each in that group has a different reason and so we tend to be different if circumstances change. I'm normally more into the community and programming for Stunts, but I think racing is crucial. Still, I don't feel it's equally crucial to win. Since I participate in many other ways, I feel like it's OK if I don't get amazing replays. On the other hand, if I saw that I'm actually doing very well in one race, that makes me want to race harder. If I'm pretty sure I won't make it to the top 5, I'm likely to not try to hard to be in the top 10. I guess this last thing happens to other pipsqueaks too.

In general, in life, I don't tend to find it interesting to win. I just want to avoid losing, which is not the same. I'm not very competition-oriented, ha, ha. I just try to do things well, but it's OK if others do it even better.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

alanrotoi

Also there is the no-RH lovers like Juank23.

The "manager behaviour" when you don't race as best as you can in your own competition like dreadnaut or zak.

Overdrijf

We should see if there's a correlation between different factors. How constant people race, how good they are, which cars they like etc. Than we can do a proper n-dimensional grouping. ;D

Daniel3D

Quote from: alanrotoi on December 15, 2021, 01:12:43 AM
Also there is the no-RH lovers like Juank23.
I'm not fan of heavy RH, but not of no-RH either.
I usually do crash recovery untill I get through a section nicely. Not pixel perfect.

I love the live races. 12 minutes to race 8. There is little room for RH so you only do the needful.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Cas

I agree that live races feel more just in terms of RH. I also do some of that tournament admin effect, ha, ha, but because I'm not a good pipsqueak anyway, it's not very noticeable  ;D  What I do is never want to post the first replay in R4K, although I may do it when I didn't make the track. And yes, a multi-dimensional classification would be better. Then we could calibrate some coefficients and create a linear combination scalar that looks good.

BonzaiJoe

I've always felt like there was some top pipsqueaks whose replays looked like they were made by humans:

Alan Rotoi
Duplode
myself
CTG

and then those pipsqueaks where the replays look like they're done by aliens:

Alain
Argammon
Renato Biker
Ayrton

It's a little bit the same with chess. There are some chess masters where you kind of get what they're doing and you just wish you'd be able to think of all those moves during a game, and then there are others where you just think: Never in a million years would I have the idea to play like that.

Only taking account ancient '00s pipsqueaks of course because I have no idea what's been going on for the last 12 years  ;D
But we can't be quite sure.

dreadnaut

Cas

I first look at the scoreboard and then try racing. I get awful results. So I go and download one of the top replays and watch it. Yes, clearly that trick has a lot to do with the lap time. So I go and do just that. Now my replay is two tenths of a second faster. What's going on?  Are these guys really using the same car as I?

I guess aliens are so bored of being undercover in everyday life and they have found a place where they can be themselves in the Stunts online community! :P

Overdrijf

Yeah, I kind of see that.

When I see Duplode's winning replay I'll admire the skill and how I can't do that, but it feels like something you can do in this game with enough of the aforementioned skill. When I see CTG's winning replay I'll often be admiring some weird shortcut I wouldn't have thought of, but I can see how it works ones you do think of it.

When I rewatch that Ayrton video I'm more like "He's not playing the same game I am. This is some sort of hack with car flight enabled. This doesn't even look fun to play anymore, it's too easy, just fly to the finish and you're done. Why do I even like this broken mess of a game?"

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on January 18, 2022, 09:51:08 PM
I've always felt like there was some top pipsqueaks whose replays looked like they were made by humans:

Alan Rotoi
Duplode
myself
CTG

and then those pipsqueaks where the replays look like they're done by aliens:

Alain
Argammon
Renato Biker
Ayrton

Only taking account ancient '00s pipsqueaks of course because I have no idea what's been going on for the last 12 years  ;D

Almost agree, but I would swap Rotoi and Argammon in the lists.
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km