News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Track ratings

Started by dreadnaut, February 07, 2021, 12:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanrotoi

Is it possible to publish the total rate of the tracks?

dreadnaut

Quote from: alanrotoi on August 24, 2021, 06:05:07 AM
Is it possible to publish the total rate of the tracks?

Initially I wrote this:
Quote from: dreadnaut on February 07, 2021, 12:32:56 AM
My plan would be to the hide these scores until the end of the season, when they become visible on the season's track list, and the highest ranked becomes the Track of the Year.

I was worried that by showing aggregate scores right away, votes would become relative to previous tracks and other people's opinions, and be less "true". I think I'm still of the same opinion, because whenever I happen to see votes in the database (very rarely, but it happens) I find myself thinking "oh, X and Y voted higher; maybe my vote was too low?".

What do you all think of this problem?

alanrotoi

You're right!  It seems better the way it is. :D Just forget what I said, don't change anything. This is a side data so we don't need it in the middle of the year.

dreadnaut

Ok :)   You can see you own votes on the track list at least.

KyLiE

Quote from: dreadnaut on August 24, 2021, 06:37:10 PM
What do you all think of this problem?

I think that you should leave it the way it is.

Cas

I agree with Dreadnaut. I would've thought exactly the same: if during any kind of poll, people can see the partial results, these results will have an impact on the pending inputs. It's good that we can see our own, though!
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Daniel3D

Quote from: Cas on August 25, 2021, 02:07:52 PM
I agree with Dreadnaut. I would've thought exactly the same: if during any kind of poll, people can see the partial results, these results will have an impact on the pending inputs. It's good that we can see our own, though!
I agree,
I would not have thought of this myself because I do not consider myself to be influenced by such a thing. But I guess it can consciously or subconsciously influence the voting, so it's better to prevent even the possibility if possible,
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Any results? Or they are not public? It's ten days since the competition has finished...
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

Duplode

Quote from: Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister on December 21, 2021, 06:42:11 PM
Any results? Or they are not public? It's ten days since the competition has finished...

The voting will close at the end of the year (source), so I guess we'll have the results not long thereafter.

Daniel3D

After viewing the votes I have given I feel that I was a bit unfair in my rating at the beginning of the season.
I would like to rectify that.
I there a way to change my vote before the end of the year?
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

alanrotoi

Give me 5 stars and your paypal account ;D

dreadnaut

Quote from: Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister on December 21, 2021, 06:42:11 PM

Voting is open for three weeks after the end of the race, which bring us to 1st January. There's only a couple of people missing—hello afullo!—so if they vote early I'll publish the results then!

Quote from: Daniel3D on December 22, 2021, 09:06:17 AM
Is there a way to change my vote before the end of the year?
Unfortunately not. Votes are averaged though, so you'll balance out my over-generous ones ;D

Cas

I'm thinking now that maybe the way each of us votes may be calibrated in a different way, yet we all agree about what ordering the tracks by how much we like them. In other words, maybe some of us will tend to give three stars to tracks that were nothing special to them, four or five to those they especially liked and one or two to those they disliked. At the same time, others might see five stars as corresponding to a normal track and taking stars from those that simply didn't accept the expected levels of something. In the other direction, maybe some of us will just use stars as a prize and begin from zero.

If we're using an average this time, that's fine, but wouldn't it be better to first take all ratings from each pipsqueak and "normalise" them before calculating the average with other pipsqueaks' ratings?  Just a thought. Of course, if we're the same people, the best tracks would still end up higher but a huge discrepancy would appear if somebody new starts voting in the middle of the year or disappears at some point. Again, just an idea. Opinions?  I'm curious.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Duplode

Quote from: Cas on December 24, 2021, 12:18:57 AM
If we're using an average this time, that's fine, but wouldn't it be better to first take all ratings from each pipsqueak and "normalise" them before calculating the average with other pipsqueaks' ratings?  Just a thought. Of course, if we're the same people, the best tracks would still end up higher but a huge discrepancy would appear if somebody new starts voting in the middle of the year or disappears at some point. Again, just an idea. Opinions?  I'm curious.

I think I'd rather have a simple average, to keep things simple and also because any normalisation other than shifting the average to 3 and doing nothing else will introduce distortions of its own.

Overdrijf

For those people who really can't wait to see some scores, i finally tallied the votes for last year. It wasn't as organized an effort as the nice system from this year which we should definitely keep, but we have winners.