News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

stunts-cartography - vectorial track visualization tools

Started by Duplode, July 30, 2013, 08:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

Quote from: Cas on January 31, 2022, 12:33:21 AM
Does the option of not depending on GTK or Cairo mean that a Linux binary would likely run out of the box on any Linux distro?

Linux isn't really a problem on that front, as Linux systems generally have GTK available already. Windows was the main reason for providing those alternatives, as I wanted to have a backup plan if I couldn't get GTK to play nicely there. It did work out all right in the end, and the Windows binary I have uploaded uses Cairo. Though the other backends work perfectly well, there is one advantage to using Cairo: the SVG build can only generate SVGs, and the Rasterific one, only PNGs; the Cairo build, on the other hand, supports both output formats.

Quote from: Cas on January 31, 2022, 12:33:21 AM
And about support for Bliss metadata, does it use it or just accept it?  If you need quick details on the text and binary overlaid and split formats, just let me know. It's pretty simple anyway.

For now it just accepts the files, ignoring anything after the 1801th byte. Now that you mention it, I think it wouldn't be difficult to parse binary overlay metadata if available (this is the format, right?), and to print it to the log of the viewer GUI. One more feature for a future release  :)

Cas

I think that most Linux distros will have GTK installed. No guarantee, but almost. KDE-based desktops, if I know well, use Qt instead, but surely some of the programs installed in the system must use GTK and upon installation, must have installed it as well as a dependency, so the odds are the binary will find GTK. On the other hand, if one were to compile it, my guess is that the development library would be missing, yet if the binary can run, that's enough.

Yes, that is the format. I have seen with the years that mostly the title and author's name end up being of any use. Other information is important only for the registry. In the tournament field, I usually specify what the track was made for, which championship, which race, etc. Maybe which car.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Daniel3D

I try to get my head around it. So much  :D
I'll have a look at it soon.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

dreadnaut

Quote from: Duplode on January 30, 2022, 03:13:30 PM
I'm happy to finally announce the release of Stunts Cartography 1.0.0.0!

Ooooh, congratulations!

Alternative two-tone terrain style, inspired by dreadnaut's 4DOPEN terrain editor.

To think that my little '96 experiment would have an effect, any effect! I'm quite proud ;D

Duplode

Quote from: dreadnaut on February 01, 2022, 11:44:25 PM
Alternative two-tone terrain style, inspired by dreadnaut's 4DOPEN terrain editor.

To think that my little '96 experiment would have an effect, any effect! I'm quite proud ;D

That streamlined style looks just right for certain tracks  :)

Duplode

I'm happy to announce the release of Stunts Cartography 1.1.0.0! Here is the Windows binary download link (let me know if you need a Linux binary as well). To use it, put the stcarto directory into your Stunts folder, and run the stcarto executable from a command line. You can use stcarto --help (or stcarto viewer --help, etc.) for brief usage guidance, check the readme for more detailed notes, or ask anything about it here!

Here is a list of changes since the previous release:

• gallery CLI subcommand, for rendering all tracks in a directory in one go.

• Current RPM can now be shown in annotation captions.

• Left padding for changeable fields in annotation captions.

• Equilateral triangle marker annotations.

• Fixes for some Windows-specific minor annoyances.

• Updates for building with GHC 9.6.4 and recent versions of dependencies.

Erik Barros

Thanks for the update, I still need to explore some features that I don't know how to use. What is the application for trackdata binary dumps?

Duplode

Quote from: Erik Barros on January 14, 2024, 05:05:47 AMWhat is the application for trackdata binary dumps?

For the moment, none (though I think it wouldn't be difficult to make a repldump-like tool with the Restunts tools). One way to get them is using a debugger (IIRC Insight and the DOSBox debugger should both be helpful enough here) to dump the relevant slice of memory. The information in the Wiki article can be used to find where the bytes that need to be dumped are -- though the article might benefit from being expanded a bit...

Cas

Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Erik Barros

Quote from: Duplode on January 14, 2024, 03:03:06 PM
Quote from: Erik Barros on January 14, 2024, 05:05:47 AMWhat is the application for trackdata binary dumps?

For the moment, none (though I think it wouldn't be difficult to make a repldump-like tool with the Restunts tools). One way to get them is using a debugger (IIRC Insight and the DOSBox debugger should both be helpful enough here) to dump the relevant slice of memory. The information in the Wiki article can be used to find where the bytes that need to be dumped are -- though the article might benefit from being expanded a bit...

cool, thanks for the explanation. Maybe this will be useful for me in the future, I see the possibility of obtaining information from the game and using it to move a motorized cockpit, but I still need to study and delve into how the game works to make this work.

Duplode

Quote from: Erik Barros on January 22, 2024, 02:58:01 AMI see the possibility of obtaining information from the game and using it to move a motorized cockpit, but I still need to study and delve into how the game works to make this work.

Now that's quite the project! 🤯 And yes, there's a fair amount of data which might be of use -- the car state data structure (which you can get from the repldump output), for instance, includes the steering wheel position. Here is a (still quite incomplete -- I should get back to refining it at some point) description of the game state/car state layout in the Cartography sources.