News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

BMW 850 CSi (E31)

Started by Duplode, April 18, 2021, 07:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

Okay, let's make this officialy a thing!

I already have a dashboard generously contributed by Ryoma, a 3D model prototype from 2010 (which I will reevaluate later in the week, when I reboot into Windows), and a torque curve (obtained from this page, and which matches this BMW page about the engine). I already know in which direction I want to go with the RES, so I will begin working on and testing it today.

Ryoma

Here the gear ratio.

Very happy for you !!!!!

Ryoma

Cas

If you guys think there's something regarding engine graphs and the sort that could be useful to have in a car making tool, let me know, so that I can implement that in CarWorks. I really don't know much about cars and seeing these graphs I realise there probably is a lot more I could easily do.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Duplode

Thanks Ryoma; these will sure come in handy. Regrettably, I haven't actually resumed work on the car yet, due to a mixture of mood and busyness matters. I will get back to it, though, hopefully sooner rather than later, once I recharge my batteries a tad.

Zapper

Quote from: Cas on May 23, 2021, 07:36:55 PM
If you guys think there's something regarding engine graphs and the sort that could be useful to have in a car making tool, let me know, so that I can implement that in CarWorks. I really don't know much about cars and seeing these graphs I realise there probably is a lot more I could easily do.

Do you consider using part of the solution made on CarEdit3 (topic link) for the torque map tunning and performance calculations?
I'm actually working on some tweaks on this tool written in Pascal in order to improve handling of RES files with the agreement of it's author "dm_s1e6" ;)

Cas

That's really interesting!  I'll take a look at CarEdit3 :)

EDIT: I copied CAREDIT3.EXE and its BGI file to Stunts directory and ran it with DOSBox. It gives me an error saying something like the RES file ended unexpectedly. I gave an RES file as a parameter and it still says the same. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I would like to take a closer look to this tool. Reading the readme file that comes in the package, I can tell the author really loves working on this. I feel great respect for the people that made other tools for Stunts, especially the most classical ones.

Zapper

Hi Cas,

Try to use Caredit in a separate folder and put only one RES file in it (a stock one), just to make sure it works.
It can be consequence of loading some RES file that bigger than expected...

Cas

Thanks. I followed your suggestion and it worked. I think it had to do with the number of cars I had in my main Stunts directory or perhaps one of the RES files had something it didn't like, since I have been making some experiments while I developed CarWorks.

Overdrijf

Oeh, nice, an actual "tuned for real" BMW under construction. Me gusta. I really need to look at the car creation section more often.

Ryoma

Duplode, do you need help for the shape ?

Duplode

There's nothing really wrong with the shape, though it might benefit from some extra detail, and I'm not entirely satisfied with how the grille looks right now. Mostly I just need to sit down and do some work, something that hasn't really happened lately because for some reason I have been running low on energy lately. I'll get there eventually, though!

Ryoma

Duplode

Quote from: Ryoma on March 12, 2022, 03:43:31 PM
Any news?

Not really -- I wanted to resume work over the last holiday here, but it didn't work out for various reasons. Still, this one remains high on the queue of Stunts projects I'll resume on the next opportunity (alongside the directory command for Cartography discussed a while ago).