News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Chatroom

Started by alanrotoi, March 20, 2022, 01:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanrotoi

Is it possible to announce somewhere in the site who is logged in the chatroom? I think we aren't taking advantage of this community tool.

dreadnaut

Cas

That's great!   :D  This really does help!
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

alanrotoi

Thank you! That was fast! Sorry to dreadnaut, CTG and Cas. I was away for lunch :)

alanrotoi

Is it possible to enable the sounds? I mean they seem enabled but they doesn't work. If I have a sound when somebody joins the chat I could note it :D

CTG

Quote from: alanrotoi on March 31, 2022, 03:05:29 PM
Is it possible to enable the sounds? I mean they seem enabled but they doesn't work. If I have a sound when somebody joins the chat I could note it :D

Maybe a BÖFF sound? ;D

alanrotoi

Is it possible to add a login sound alert? So we can figure out somebody logged in. Many times happened that somebody joins and I didn't answer because I didn't noticed his presence.

alanrotoi

I'm sorry I was late today and after login half away because of a sudden work call. I enjoy these chat meetings. See ya tomorrow at the live race!

dreadnaut

Small change to the "online counter" message: it will only show users who have been active in the past 10 minutes.

This should avoid the disappointment of clicking the link only to see a bunch of "Oh, <pipsqueak> logged out".

dreadnaut

I'm investigating other web/embeddable chats, with possibly better mobile support.

Let's try this: https://app.element.io/#/room/#stunts:matrix.org

Cas

Uhm... just tried quickly and Element won't run in my browser (IceCat, which is basically Firefox with some privacy features). But I think this uses a protocol for which there are several clients, right?  So I could access it from somewhere else.

Is there something that's compatible with IRC and/or XMPP?  That would also open the possibility for tons of clients as well as web based and cell phone based.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I already have an element client installed somewhere because we've been trying it before the guys settled for Telegram, so while I wouldn't be able to access via browser, there should be no problem. Anyway, I leave my comment here in case it could help for any ideas

dreadnaut

Yep, there's a few nice desktop clients for Linux — I've seen Nheko and Fractal mentioned, but there's probably more.

Cas

I downloaded Nheko and it seems to work, but I was failing to login or register for some reason. I'm sure it's my not knowing of how it works. Anyway, you guys let me know if there's going to be an instance or anything. Before that, I had used the actual Element client, but I don't know where I put it.

Fractal is huge. I think I'll stay with Nheko once I manage to login.

Anyway, whatever is done, I think that it's great that there is any form of protocol that helps using the chat in different platforms, be it Matrix, XMPP, IRC or whatever. I understand there are even ways to make a web chat channel through Telegram. No idea how that is done.

dreadnaut

Quote from: Cas on February 12, 2023, 10:17:26 PMAnyway, you guys let me know if there's going to be an instance or anything. Before that, I had used the actual Element client, but I don't know where I put it.

Is there a "join room" somewhere? You can try with either #stunts:matrix.org or !FiJBRjhtDZpKoWVfQk:matrix.org

Cas

Uhm... I don't see anything like that in Nheko. What I get is, when I just start the program two options: Register and Login. If I click on Login, I have to enter Matrix ID, password, device name (what?) and homeserver address (which automatically turns into envs.net when I enter @Cas:envs.net as my Matrix ID).

But then it fails and says: "There are no Matrix endpoints here. Perhaps you forgot to resolve the client-server API URL?"

If I click on Register, I'm asked for: Username, password, password confirmation and Home Server