News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts WIKI

Started by BonzaiJoe, December 30, 2007, 03:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanrotoi

Thank you! It helps of course! Still a lot of work to do. About Ryoma's cars we would start with those we tested.

BTW I see the "ID" column very useful for car builder.

dreadnaut

We can definitely upload the cars on stunts.hu, and link to them from the wiki. For example, we can put them at http://stunts.hu/cars/ABCD.zip.

I would suggest using ZIP files rather than RAR, as they are DOS-friendly, more 'universal', and don't require proprietary software to decompress.

Lined them up on Google Drive and I can download them all, and upload them here. In the wiki, create a template for the link. So today we can use http://stunts.hu/cars/..., but one day we could change to http://cars.stunts.hu/cars/... in one go.

Cas

Wow!  That looks great and I think it's a very good idea for the cars to be at stunts.hu. Also, I agree with Dreadnaut that Zip is the most universal. In R4K, we keep the car packs in zip format and also use the car ID for the file name simply because that way, it's more comfortable for the site to associate them with replays and race configuration.

My renders of the DTM cars look good, but kind of out of place among the other cars. Uhm... I could make the background colour transparent, but they would probably look very dark in contrast with the white background..
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

alanrotoi

Quote from: Cas on April 14, 2022, 01:53:29 AM
Wow!  That looks great and I think it's a very good idea for the cars to be at stunts.hu. Also, I agree with Dreadnaut that Zip is the most universal. In R4K, we keep the car packs in zip format and also use the car ID for the file name simply because that way, it's more comfortable for the site to associate them with replays and race configuration.

Ok I'll use winzip from now and change the rar to zip (wait does it has only trial version? How to make zip from winrar then?).

About the car names Should I add a .txt in the zip with the car name? I mean, the user who downloads the car doesn't have to know the car ID (nobody have to)... what about a zip names like in the case of Melange: CDOR_MelangeXGT88.zip or something like that or the car ID being the last 4 characters: MelangeXGT88_CDOR.zip.

Quote from: Cas on April 14, 2022, 01:53:29 AM
My renders of the DTM cars look good, but kind of out of place among the other cars. Uhm... I could make the background colour transparent, but they would probably look very dark in contrast with the white background..

I didn't change those pictures but if you want I'll replace them with shots from Stressed like the other cars. No problem.

afullo

7-zip is free and allows you easily to produce .zip files.

Daniel3D

Quote from: afullo on April 14, 2022, 09:43:20 AM
7-zip is free and allows you easily to produce .zip files.
Quote from: alanrotoi on April 14, 2022, 03:25:08 AM
Ok I'll use winzip from now and change the rar to zip (wait does it has only trial version? How to make zip from winrar then?).
If you have windows, then you can do it natively from within file explorer.
right click files or folder selection and select [send to -> compressed (zipped) folder]

But to make zip from rar you have to unpack them first. They are not the same.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

dreadnaut

As Afullo suggested, steer away from WinZip, as there are free and good alternatives:

- Windows Explorer itself, if that's your OS
- 7-zip - https://www.7-zip.org/
- PeaZip - https://peazip.github.io/

Cas

Oh, I was also going to suggest 7zip as soon as I read the mention of WinZip. I didn't know about PeaZip, though. I'm reading now and it's interesting, as it has a dedicated GUI, if I understood correctly, even in GNU/Linux.

About the file name containing more than the car ID, my personal vote would be that, if the name is longer than four characters, the best choice is that the four first be the car ID instead of the four last. I'd say the ID should be case-insensitive, but it should default to uppercase. That is, programs recognising the ID should treat both cases as the same, but people creating the package should try to use all caps for the ID. The rest of the file name is OK. I could suggest avoiding spaces. Anyway, all that is my preference. It doesn't have to be that way.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

afullo

Quote from: Daniel3D on April 14, 2022, 09:58:58 AM
But to make zip from rar you have to unpack them first. They are not the same.

Back in 2005, some Doom III mods did not start because the modder(s) packed the pk4 file(s) as rar and not as zip (pk4 are considered by the game as just zip, with renamed extension in order to recognize their role).

Daniel3D

I've had something similar. My rar program just unpacked the files automatically (compression detection) so when I wanted to save them again I didn't know what compression to use.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

KyLiE

I recommend 7-Zip, but you can also create ZIP files with WinRAR.

alanrotoi

About the car profiles in the wiki I noticed some aren't accurate with the in-game specs of the car. For example, Caterham says it the list it has a 144 mph of real top speed and in the main corpus of the article it says  "The base specification of this car uses a 5 speed "long ratio" gearbox like one of several options available for this model. This choice allows it to get a better top speed (~145 MPH)". It's ok 1 or 5 mph of difference but when you try the car it can reach easy the 175 mph.

Since the article was written by the car designer I didn't edit but I would like to know why this difference. I think the articles would be accurate with the game specs.

Zapper

Hi alanrotoi,

The in-game car specs normally sticks the original (real) car or car's top speed no horizontal flat road.
I think that top speed at top gear and rev limit speed is just a indicator for specific running condition in Stunts.
If it's general consensus question "Real top speed" information could be changed in wiki car article to something like "Max speed on rev limit in top gear".

(meanwhile Caterham's wiki page and List of custom cars page is being updated)

alanrotoi

I think it's time to merge ISA and IRC articles. Both names should exist separated but going to the same article. It's about 2 seasons of the same competition. I just don't know how to make the redirect message to let the user know.

Duplode

Quote from: alanrotoi on December 06, 2022, 01:09:04 PMI think it's time to merge ISA and IRC articles. Both names should exist separated but going to the same article. It's about 2 seasons of the same competition.

Sounds like a good idea! As a preliminary step, I have done a history merge of the older "Indy Racing Cup" article into the newer "ISA Competition" one that was started by Cas. (This history merge is not strictly necessary, but, given both articles have a a fair bit of edit history, it is a nice thing to do so that the record of everyone's contributions gets preserved as much as possible.)

The next steps to complete the merge are:
  • Actually merging the current versions of the articles, by incorporating the extra content from the "Indy Racing Cup" article into the "ISA Competition" one;
  • Choosing a name for the merged article, and moving "ISA Competition" to that name (if the choice is "Indy Racing Cup", we can delete the other article beforehand); and
  • Turning all the other articles into redirects.

Quote from: alanrotoi on December 06, 2022, 01:09:04 PMI just don't know how to make the redirect message to let the user know.

An automatic redirect is created by replacing the article text with:

#REDIRECT [[The target article]]