News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Ingame Car info

Started by alanrotoi, June 22, 2022, 01:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanrotoi

The original cars has some info about every car when you select one. it is:

Car Name
(sometime a category like IMSA or Indy)

Engine, wheel drive
more engine
cc, HP
0-60 acceleration
top speed
price

All of this information is about the real car but not the game car. We followed this way mostly when building custom cars. I mean it's not 1990 anymore, everybody can google all the specs about the real car but this info makes nonsense in the game. Shall we change it to be more useful to the user at the time of building custom cars?
It's not about if the car is realistic or not but to have as user the truthfull info/specs about the car we will choose.

Now, what kind of information would be useful? We have 9 lines for this. It could be: Name for sure, designer is an option (I add it to my cars), car category if applicable, 0-60 acceleration, 0-100 acceleration maybe, real (ingame) top speed, Half Mile?, transmissions?, flat track top speed maybe?... also a line about grip maybe?

Just an example:

Corvette ZR1

0-60mph: 5.0s
0-100mph: 11.3s
Half Mile: 20.55s
Grip: an easy way to know if it's good or not, like a 1/10 scale or Hard/Easy
Flat track top speed: 180mph
Top Speed: 245mph

What else? What do you think?

Cas

I agree. I think that, other than to make new cars look like the original cars, there is no reason to follow that pattern. Well, maybe there is if the car is trying to represent a real car as is the case of the original ones (and most of the custom ones today). If I were making a new car, I would make a new thing, not based on any real car.... partly because I don't know much about cars.

I can think of a few parameters that could be specified there, but I don't know much about these things and surely others can suggest a better selection of them. Also, a custom car could come with two versions of its RES file (which is the smallest of the four, so no problem): one with these lines following the traditional format and another with something more useful to us. If this done for all cars, that is, if somebody takes the work to create an alternate RES for all cars, I will be glad to make Simple Garage compatible with it, so one can choose which one to display. I suggest the other RES file could be called ALTxxxx.RES, where xxxx is the car ID (the other one being CARxxxx.RES).
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Daniel3D

I think that is a good idea.
It gives more useful information. The numbers are easily obtained by Ryoma his excel sheet.
Quote from: alanrotoi on June 22, 2022, 01:04:18 AM
Just an example:

Corvette ZR1

Grip: an easy way to know if it's good or not, like a 1/10 scale or Hard/Easy

What else? What do you think?
No matter what we choose. It should be a guideline, every car creator has the freedom to give whatever information he wants.

How about this:
Corvette ZR1
Type Sports car.
_____________________creator
Grip: medium
Tires: normal street tires.

I would not opt for several versions of the Res file. That is confusing.  Can we 'duplicate' the chunk in the same Res file as hidden data? To switch if wanted with sgar?
But maybe we can also add a picture in a standard naming convention. That could later be used by other tools. Picxxxx.jpg or something like that.
Like a jpg or (animated) gif?
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Cas

Uhm.. that would mean dynamically modifying the files. It sounds a little aggressive to me. Of course, there is also the option of placing other info in a separate chunk but then it wouldn't be visible in Stunts. This would have better solutions if I had completed my engine  :'( I hope I can find the path
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Daniel3D

Quote from: Cas on June 22, 2022, 07:22:43 PM
Uhm.. that would mean dynamically modifying the files. It sounds a little aggressive to me. Of course, there is also the option of placing other info in a separate chunk but then it wouldn't be visible in Stunts.
Hmm, you are right. I do mean placing the 'old' or 'alternative' info in a separate chunk so that it is not visible in stunts but not lost. It can then easily be restored with stressed.
Quote from: Cas on June 22, 2022, 07:22:43 PM
This would have better solutions if I had completed my engine  :'( I hope I can find the path
I hope you find your path as well, but you know the path. You just have to walk it. You may get lost along the way, but that is alright. Just go back a bit and try again.
But if you don't start walking, you never get home.  8)
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)