News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

NIGHT and FOG live races

Started by alanrotoi, August 04, 2022, 07:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanrotoi

Hi! I'm on the project of a 2 stages live race. They are rally-like races where you have to race with these wheather change.
Here is an example video of both stages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmeJoPeZIm4

First Stage: Night
Second Stage: Fog

To simulate the enviroment I edited the dashboard of the Chevrolet Silverado but it could be easy adaptated to any car.
What do you think?

Cas

It's a really good concept!  I'm looking forward to participate :)  We already have a live race platform waiting to be officially tested. It still needs some bells and whistles, but I think it'll be fine, so you can count on it!
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Overdrijf

I didn't even know we could do partial transparancy. My first thought was that you were dithering (one pixel color, the next transparent) but you're probably using some of the ingame "colors" like the bridge mesh right? That's how night and fog look different? Or does the mask actually support individual pixels being partially transparent?

Very nicely done!

Frieshansen

That looks really good! Reminds me of Test Drive 3 right away.

Cas

The dash top image includes transparency. To apply this, Stunts does what was fastest at the time: you first AND a mask against the background. The pixels that should remain from the background are coupled with bytes of value 255 and the pixels that should not show because the image will go on top are coupled with a 0. Then, you OR the actual image with the background. Because the background pixels were previously removed where the image is going to be, you get the combined image without superposition.

Now the thing is you can use a non-zero mask at places where you actually have a non-zero image pixel as well. This will cause the foreground image to combine with the background using an OR. Because OR is destructive (information is lost), it's very limited what you can get, but choosing the right colour, you may actually like how that destructive effect looks.

So if I understand correctly, Alan Rotoi is extending the dash top to reach the roof and is filling the parts that should be transparent with a non-zero colour. The areas where the light illuminates are filled with zero or with another colour that's less destructive (one that has fewer 1's and more 0's).

KyLiE

I think it looks good considering the limitations.  However, I don't know how viable it will be to use in competitions.  Even if you change the performance of the car, changing the dashboard graphics is a quick and easy process.

alanrotoi

Of course, it only works for a live race. There won't be time for download, rename and race a 8 minutes replay.

afullo

Nice! A taste of Lotus III in Stunts, in a certain sense...  :D

alanrotoi

Quote from: afullo on August 11, 2022, 11:17:19 AM
Nice! A taste of Lotus III in Stunts, in a certain sense...  :D

That's right! :D I thought about other games like Outrun but mainly in Enduro for Atari 2600

Night:

and Fog:

Cas

Enduro!  That's a great classic. Good memories!

afullo

It reminds me also of some coin-op units, of which I don't remember the names...