News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

ZCT256: ban the grasscut?

Started by Overdrijf, October 25, 2022, 04:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ban the grasscut?

Yes, with an extra rule
7 (87.5%)
Yes, by restarting on a modified track
0 (0%)
No
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: November 19, 2022, 03:45:21 PM

Overdrijf

Because it's a little quiet in the shoutbox, and this is good to have clear early.

If at the first split you go right you can go straight at the last corner before the first banked section, drive across file tiles of grass passing under the elevated corner connected to the big solid elevated roads functioning as walls and drive on to the other one of the split roads just before they rejoin. This route is fast, because it's a lot shorter than anything else legal I've found so far. It could very easily turn out to be a competitive line, also depending on car and such. I personally think this isn't a fun route, it cuts off about half of the track's difficulty and interesting elements and I should have found and blocked it before sending the track in.

I don't think it would be practical to restart the race with a modified track file, we tend not to do that because that way people can't keep working off their old replays, even if the times already set themselves are carried over. (If you do decide on using a modified track I would recommend the attached version, it preserves metadata.) So I think the reasonable course of action would be to have a rule that "it is forbidden to pass under the elevated corner in the Northwest of the inner section". This would be an extra rule similar to last month's "no Indy" rule.

What do you guys think? Ban it or not, and how?

Also, predicting ZCT wins with Frieshansen second and all that jazz we do in forum topics about tracks.

Daniel3D

I agree with the "it is forbidden to pass under the elevated corner in the Northwest of the inner section" rule.

Skipping the better part of the track is not fun. Also it is a similar ruling as to my track last season.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

afullo

Cas

I tried the cheating path and I got about the same lap time as with the valid shortest path, but still, for the sake of a more interesting racing experience, I support the banning of this path  8)
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Overdrijf

Quote from: Cas on October 25, 2022, 11:29:43 PMI tried the cheating path and I got about the same lap time as with the valid shortest path, but still, for the sake of a more interesting racing experience, I support the banning of this path  8)

Yeah, I'm not actually sure if it's faster than the more fun alternative, I mostly just don't want to find out it is in the last week of the race.

KyLiE

I haven't attempted the track yet, so I'm happy for the shortcut to be banned.  Ideally, you'd restart the race with a modified track, but I think it's a little too late for that at this stage.

Duplode

I agree with banning that cut as well. We could advertise it by adding a note to the track page, like the one about the Indy dreadnaut added for Z255.

Duplode

Okay, it seems there is a consensus, so I have added the note to the track page (using Daniel3D's wording and Overdrijf's map -- thanks!).

alanrotoi

I also agree.

Quote from: Duplode on October 30, 2022, 02:52:41 AMusing Daniel3D's wording and Overdrijf's map.

It's the Dutch law! ;D

Daniel3D

Quote from: alanrotoi on October 30, 2022, 03:35:46 AMI also agree.

Quote from: Duplode on October 30, 2022, 02:52:41 AMusing Daniel3D's wording and Overdrijf's map.

It's the Dutch law! ;D
It is, but I quoted overdrijf. So it is still his text.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)