News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts = 4D Sports Driving on Amiga

Started by Striker, November 27, 2022, 02:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker

Hello all and thank you for unlocking me to your awesome Stunts Forum.
I love the updates, new cars and improvements the community here is developing for this 30 years old game and I am curious about everything new for this great old Test Drive like Stunts driving game.
I really love most the new cars you guys are creating with all those details and working dashboard.
I know most of the tracks are working for the Amiga version too, but I would like to ask if someone could try to make a additional working car for the Amiga too?
If you want to try it your self just go here and download 4D Sports Driving:
https://thecompany.pl/game/search/4
I can also provide a quick setup and working Workbench 1.3.3 with WHDLoad and 4D Sports Driving installed
wich I can e-mail you if you are interessted in creating working additional cars to the AMIGA version of 4D Sports Driving.
Best regards,
Reini :)

dreadnaut

Hello there, and welcome!

There are very few people here who have owned or played the Amiga version on this forum. I don't think anyone has tested the existing custom cars on that platform, but it seem to support fewer polygons, so the models would need simpler shapes.

Our wiki is lacking a lot of details about the Amiga version, so if you have played it, you might be the expert here!

Striker

Hello dreadnaut,

thank you very much for the welcome. :)
If you want you can check it out very very easy.
Just download my Workbench 1.3.3 with 4D Sports Driving WHDLoad Version included.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1juLxaepV6ZnrSZ4DjZEs5Wexlk7OWW6Q/view?usp=sharing
The only thing you need is WinUAE and a Kickstart Rom >= Kickstart 2.04 (striker01 @ hotmail . com).
If you don't want to install WinUAE you can download the ZIP version that runs without installing.
https://www.winuae.net/download/
It is really easy. You can use my attached uae config file (drag and drop in WinUAE and adjust the path for the HDF and kickstart files ) for a emulated full speed 68040 Amiga 1200. :)

Daniel3D

The Amiga version is not 1 on 1 compatible with the DOS 1.1 version. There are big differences made to the engine and that translates to the car files.
Most custom cars have a high polygon count.
That also makes it difficult to make them compatible with Amiga.
I'm quite sure it can be done. But it may not be worth the trouble.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Striker

Good morning Daniel3D,

thank you for your reply. All your custom cars you made are great and fun to watch and drive.
These cars with their own dashboard enrich the game very very much. So first of all thank you very much for your awesome work! :)

When I put one of your high quality cars to the Amiga directory the game tries to load your car but then crashes. So the game is intended to load custom cars.

If I could make a wish to the community I would just like to have one custom simple box car for the Amiga.
Just to learn and understand wich requirements the cars for 4D Sports Driving must fulfill to run in the game. I know the very first OCS Amigas 1000,500 had resolution of max. 640 × 256 Pixel (PAL), and could use 16 colors together out of a pallete of 4096 colors.

For the Amiga I use the PC Programs XnView and Irfanview with the all plugins extension to use iff Amiga files.

It would be really greatest if you and the community could help to analyse and understand how the cars work for the Amiga game because I have at least the same fun on the Amiga as with the DOS version and the game runs really nice with the correct setting or on a good PC with WinUAE and the correct setting like Amiga 1200, 68040, Fastest as possible or on a slower PC in the Emulator with JIT in WinUAE enabled and with this setting you get around 20 to 25FPS not the 10 FPS mentioned in the article. :)

I included in my HDF (HardDiskFile) the tool DirectoryOpus4.12. This is a file explorer wich makes it very comfortable and easy to exchange files.
If you want to copy files between PC <-> and the Amiga HDF you just have to include a hard disk directory in the WinUAE menu CD & Hard drives.

You find the files of the game in the directory SYS:Spiele/4DSportsDriving&MstrTrcks/data or DH0:Spiele/4DSportsDriving&MstrTrcks/data

PS: If you set the gearbox to Manual in the car selection then you can shift the gears with the Keys A for up, Y for down.
Since this is a WHDLoad (whdload.de) Game all progresses to the game will ony be saved if you exit the game in menu with the keys:
Prt.Screen on an real Amiga or on an WinUAE PC with the key on the number pad  * (x)!
Otherwise progresses and Track edits will not be saved!!

You can always access the WinUAE Emulator menu with F12!

Daniel3D

Quote from: Striker on November 28, 2022, 07:57:14 AMIf I could make a wish to the community I would just like to have one custom simple box car for the Amiga.
Just to learn and understand wich requirements the cars for 4D Sports Driving must fulfill to run in the game
That i can assemble.
Since the 3D shape is a stand alone file (the res file has values that depend on the VHS (pvh) resources)
I can replace it model of any car with a simpler one. And i have a proof of concept of a trike. It just a matter of finding that file in the shape ideas thread..

An other thing that i don't think I tried is opening Amiga car files in stressed (STunts RESource EDitor) if it can load them well then things will be easier.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Striker

Hello Daniel3D,
that would be awesome. If there is anything you need regarding Amiga Emulation or filetransfer or files from the Amiga Game. Then let it me know. Glad if I can help. :)

Daniel3D

Quote from: Striker on November 28, 2022, 04:02:28 PMHello Daniel3D,
that would be awesome. If there is anything you need regarding Amiga Emulation or filetransfer or files from the Amiga Game. Then let it me know. Glad if I can help. :)
No, I have a working Amiga version.
I looked at differences a few years ago. Don't remember everything, didn't document much of it either. Just a curiosity exploration then.

forum.stunts.hu/Amiga topic contains extracted files as well.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Striker

Cool Daniel, very cool that you exmined the Amiga version a few years ago. :)
To have the latest hard disk installed games for Amiga I highly recommend whdload.
Here you find the complete installed and lastest versions.
4D Sports Driving is of course to find in 0-9.

https://ftp.grandis.nu/turran/FTP/Retroplay%20WHDLoad%20Packs/Commodore_Amiga_-_WHDLoad_-_Games/

Don't forget to check out Test Drive 1 and Test Drive 2 too.
For them use this setting to have best performance and no graphic glitches:
CPU 68020
Fastest possible

Chipset Full ECS
Chipset Extra A500
Cycle-excat (Full)
Cycle-exact (DMA/Memory accesses)
Wait for Blitter

Daniel3D

Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to download it. Not sure when I have time to work with it though. Time is limited lately..
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Striker

Good evening. Thank you too. :)
If you want to have the whole WHDLoad Treasure then I would recommend you to use the WHDLoad Tool -->   WHDLoadTool08a.zip
http://ftp.grandis.nu/turran/FTP/~Uploads/mrv2k/WHDLoad%20Download%20Tool/
With this you can download the whole WHDLoad Collection with just a few clicks and save time to work on the custom car for the Amiga Version of 4D Sports Driving.  ;D

Daniel3D

I've made some time to compare the Porsche Carrera files of the normal and the Amiga version. I don't think that it will work.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Striker

Can you try it with a simpler one color car? Maybe it crashes cause of incompatible color palette?
Or has someone contact to the original developers?
https://www.retroisle.com/gamedetails.php?n=Stunts&id=27380
I only have contact to Bruce Dawson. But he worked on Test Drive 1 and Test Drive 2.
https://randomascii.wordpress.com/ 

Daniel3D

Well the developers of the original and the Amiga version are not the same i believe. But i don't know if that Amiga team is mentioned in the credits.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Overdrijf

There has been some contact with Kevin Pickell in the past. Mostly an interview, and he designed a competition track. He was the sole programmer on the original team, was responsible for most of what makes Stunts Stunts and it looks like he was also part of the porting effort. The bad news is that this is something he did three decades ago, he remembers little specifics and the source code is lost. Kevin is not involved in the present day Stunts community (unless he's quietly reading the forums. Are you there Kevin?) and enjoys a job or by now possibly a retirement (no idea how old he is) outside of the gaming industry.

Personally I'd be willing to give you some help with modifying the stuff I made, if it is even possible to modify and import that stuff. But to be kind of direct about it: from what I gather here the Amiga port is essentially less good, more compressed, than the DOS version. And the DOS version runs (after a fashion) on any modern PC. I understand it's the version you fell in love with, there are also still people out there playing the many console ports of Doom after all. But it is crucially not the version I fell in love with. So while I'd be willing to help I would expect you or other Amiga players to be doing the heavy lifting on it. (Also I'm really not great with code and other more complex digital stuff, so I require instructions either way.) (Also also: the complex paintjobs on "my" DTM cars might make them some of the hardest custom cars to reduce in polygon count without altering their looks significantly. So maybe don't start with the part where you could use my help.)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Who won the 2021 season of ZakStunts?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview