News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Live Races 2023

Started by dreadnaut, December 10, 2022, 12:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreadnaut

The live race calendar for 2022 was a great success: we had three well attended and exciting events, a record in recent years!

Do we want to run something similar next year? Or do we want to try four events this time?

Spacing them evenly during the year:
- three events: first weekend of April, July and October
- four events: first weekend of March and August, 3rd weekend of May and October

[edit] Calendar here!
  • 4th/5th of March - Alan Rotoi + ?
  • 20th/21st of May - dreadnaut + Cas
  • 5th/6th of August - KyLiE + ?
  • 21st/22nd of October - Overdrijf + ?

KyLiE

I'm happy with four events, but if that means that less people will participate in one or more events, three might be better.  We'll have to wait and see what others think.

Daniel3D

Quote from: KyLiE on December 10, 2022, 01:24:17 AMI'm happy with four events, but if that means that less people will participate in one or more events, three might be better.  We'll have to wait and see what others think.
With four events the chance of me participating increase.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

dreadnaut

If I read it correctly, KyLiE means the chance of participating in each event, not in any event. With three, every single one is special and we are likely to have "full participation". With more events, pipsqueaks might skip thinking "oh, well, I'll join the next one", leading to low attendance in each event.

I agree that's a risk, I can't tell if going from 3 to 4 would make a different in that direction.

alanrotoi

Let's go with 4. A live race for every season: Winter, Autumn, Spring, Summer.

KyLiE

Quote from: dreadnaut on December 10, 2022, 11:45:10 AMIf I read it correctly, KyLiE means the chance of participating in each event, not in any event.

That's exactly what I meant.  In my case, I'll make the same effort to participate regardless of how many events there are.  However, you also have to consider the availability of people to organise each event.

Daniel3D

Quote from: KyLiE on December 10, 2022, 02:30:26 PM
Quote from: dreadnaut on December 10, 2022, 11:45:10 AMIf I read it correctly, KyLiE means the chance of participating in each event, not in any event.

That's exactly what I meant.  In my case, I'll make the same effort to participate regardless of how many events there are.  However, you also have to consider the availability of people to organise each event.
As long as the race is in the afternoon here the chance is slim unfortunately. Family matters first.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Cas

Maybe the solution is to have two events at one time and the other two at different time. That'd increase the number of pipsqueaks that would participate in at least one event, but yes, there's a risk of less participation per event.

Well, we've tried three. Let's try four and see what happens. If participation is low, the following year, we go back to three.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Argammon

Quote from: Daniel3D on December 10, 2022, 02:48:39 PM

As long as the race is in the afternoon here the chance is slim unfortunately. Family matters first.

Same here. I usually do not have time in front of the computer before 8.30 pm. :)

Btw, did you use replay handling in last year's live racing?

Daniel3D

Quote from: Argammon on December 10, 2022, 11:03:00 PM
Quote from: Daniel3D on December 10, 2022, 02:48:39 PM

Same here. I usually do not have time in front of the computer before 8.30 pm. :)

Btw, did you use replay handling in last year's live racing?
Well, RH is possible to a small extend. You get 12 minutes to drive, save and upload a 8 minute race. So there is a bit of room for crash Recovery but not much more.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Overdrijf

On top of the "Le Stunts" events we could also schedule some session on Hunterboy344's new server. As I understand it the server is always ready, you just have to wake it up and you can drive. Could be fun as a sort of "low organization" addition to the live race roster.

Copying from the Zakstunts message archive, november 28th:
QuoteGreat news, everyone; the Stunts Online server is now on all of the time! However, before connecting, the server must first be "woken" by opening https://stunts-server.hunterboy344.com/ in a new browser tab. After doing that and waiting until the page says "Upgrade Required", you can simply put in "stunts-server.hunterboy344.com" into the server box on https://stunts.hunterboy344.com/ to connect!

dreadnaut

Let's bring this thread back on track ;D

Let's go with four races for 2023! These would be the dates:

• 4th/5th of March - ? + ?
  • 20th/21st of May - ? + ?
  • 5th/6th of August - ? + ?
  • 21st/22nd of October - ? + ?

Any volunteers for organising races? As for the past season, it would be great to have two people assigned to each event, to lessen the load ensure coverage if life happens.

The March event can follow the previous schedule (midday on Sunday in Europe), but let's investigate a different time slot too. I think we've had some success with "late Saturday evening in Europe" in the past.

Cas

I can do the May one or the October one otherwise

Daniel3D

QuoteThe March event can follow the previous schedule (midday on Sunday in Europe), but let's investigate a different time slot too. I think we've had some success with "late Saturday evening in Europe" in the past.
I have either my family or work in the day/afternoon so with "late Saturday evening in Europe" i can guarantee participating. Otherwise i can guarantee not participating.. 8)

Edit::
That sounds a bit harsh. But it is the unfortunat truth.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Cas

I think that, if programmed with enough time, I can do most schedules, but being months in advance, I cannot tell right now. For sure, the best would be to not have the same schedule on all events, so that everyone can participate at least in one