News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Live Races 2023

Started by dreadnaut, December 10, 2022, 12:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanrotoi

I would like to organize a live race... hmm March?

KyLiE

Can you please sign me up for the race on the 5th/6th of August?

Cas

I can't tell with so much time in advance, but my mother's birthday is August 7th, so there is a chance, depending on many things, that I miss the 5th/6th of August event. The other ones will probably be OK. I will try to participate in all.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Overdrijf

I may or may not have an interesting variation on the concept, depending on how much "learning where to go" people are willing to do, and how far I can stretch this 2 minute race I currently have.

dreadnaut

Thank you Alan and KyLiE! I've added a race calendar to the first post of the thread.

Let's run two on last year's schedule, and new on the "evening in Europe" time that Daniel suggested. Which is which... depends on the organisers! Still a few slots empty ;)

Quote from: Overdrijf on January 22, 2023, 01:00:07 PMI may or may not have an interesting variation on the concept, depending on how much "learning where to go" people are willing to do, and how far I can stretch this 2 minute race I currently have.
Tell us more!

Overdrijf

Quote from: dreadnaut on January 22, 2023, 01:11:53 PMTell us more!

It's a 3 lap race with a slightly diffent route for each lap. Routes that people would have to sort of know before the race, no room for changing multiple defining features in the surprise edit.

Ones I've gone through it with the comb of practicality there might be 2 features left that could survive:
1 a joker lap, rallycross style. A longer route you have to take ones in the race.
2 an actual finish, where if you reach the split to the fake start line and actual start line after the 8 minutes are up you have to come in for your finish. Not sure yet what would be fair time wise.

alanrotoi

Quote from: Overdrijf on January 22, 2023, 07:23:02 PM

It's a 3 lap race with a slightly diffent route for each lap. Routes that people would have to sort of know before the race, no room for changing multiple defining features in the surprise edit.

Ones I've gone through it with the comb of practicality there might be 2 features left that could survive:
1 a joker lap, rallycross style. A longer route you have to take ones in the race.
2 an actual finish, where if you reach the split to the fake start line and actual start line after the 8 minutes are up you have to come in for your finish. Not sure yet what would be fair time wise.

If you need people to test the idea let me know. We meet and race.

Overdrijf

You know what, I can do October. I figure I can make this work. Just thought of another gimmick I can try.

Cas

I had called for the May event somet time ago, or the October one if it were not possible, but I see that I wasn't scheduled... Anyway, I guess I could do the fourth, although I've no problem to colaborate for another one

Daniel3D

Quote from: Overdrijf on January 22, 2023, 07:23:02 PM

How about a 4 leaf clover principle. You can make each leaf the same, resulting in just a 4 lap race. Or you can add slight variations.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

dreadnaut

Quote from: Cas on January 23, 2023, 01:48:38 AMI had called for the May event somet time ago, or the October one if it were not possible, but I see that I wasn't scheduled...

Whops, I had missed that, sorry Cas! I put you down for May with me, but let me know if you prefer a different one.

And with Overdrijf in October, we have all races covered by at least one person. The second slot is still empty for a few races, so volunteers are still welcome! Pairing up is a great way to discover what goes being organising an event ;)

Cas

No problem!  Sure, we'll prepare something for May! :)

Daniel3D

I little idea tweak that may make the live race more interesting for editing.
(Very similar if not the same as opted before)
Race for X amount of laps resulting in approximately 8 minutes (track designer determines the amount)
That way we could make an edit with all cars crossing the finish line in sequence.
And you have a clear final time..

The start finish should be easy to reach though. Maybe a pit lane idea..
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Cas

Yes... in fact, the experimental platform I made for Le Stunts estimates the scoreboard order that way: it uses the lap time of the last s/f line crossing and the number of laps instead of what part of the last lap you are, which is more subjective. It almost always results in the same scoreboard

Duplode

Alternatively, we might ask pipsqueaks to complete the first lap after the 8 minutes mark. An advantage is that the designer wouldn't have to guess laptimes in advance. A disadvantage is that a luck factor might be introduced, in that crossing the finish line at 7:59 would require one to drive another full lap. One workaround for this problem would be making the deadline relative, so that the deadline for each pipsqueak becomes 12 minutes plus some tolerance which increases with the length of the replay past 8:00.