News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Single-car podiums

Started by dreadnaut, January 16, 2023, 12:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreadnaut

Let's try an experiment: I've added single-car side scoreboards!

They appear at the bottom of the track page, and show the top three results for each car. They show precisely three results, no less, no more. Cars that have been used by only one or two pipsqueaks are excluded, and so are cars on the track podium. In a way it is competitive, but also cooperative: it's up to you to raise a challenge on a specific car, if yet unused!

Give it a try for this track, and let me know what you think! 🎉

Duplode

That's a very elegant solution! I couldn't resist leaving the pits for one extra lap tonight just to see it working  :)

Daniel3D

That idea is vaguely familiar  8)
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

dreadnaut

Quote from: Daniel3D on January 16, 2023, 01:39:25 AMThat idea is vaguely familiar  8)

Might be a case of co-evolution! I was looking at side-scoreboards (NoRH, GAR, ...) but wanted something new. I had just re-read the "banned car of the month" discussion, and thought about a "car of the month" scoreboard... but that'd would be just an extra race, likely dominated by the usual suspects. One scoreboard for each car? Too many tables or pages.

So I cut it down to "podiums", and excluded the top cars so that pipsqueaks who are leading the main competition don't get free replays for the side-scoreboards. And three participants are required, to give an incentive to interact with others, and create a challenge.

Cas

This is really neat. It does push when you see two other people having used a car to post a new replay with it!
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

dreadnaut

I played with a couple of different ways to order the cards, and eventually the one that stuck was... alphabetical:

- it makes the section look like a "bingo card", giving it that "fill the boxes" feeling
- cars will remain in the same position, so it will be easier to compare races

Also, I've some graphic touches to make each "type" stand out.

dreadnaut

One race in, how does this feel?
I see some of the usual names at the top, but also a few amateurs. Looking for feedback from everyone!

alanrotoi

I think it has a great success. It also gives the chance to lead with your favourite car or some of non-podium "hard raced" cars.

Daniel3D

I like it to. But I would like to see the time on podium as soon as it's no longer on the main scoreboard, because for many cars the time is not their best and that makes it difficult to see what is driven before the podium is complete.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

dreadnaut

Quote from: Daniel3D on February 11, 2023, 08:11:34 AMI like it to. But I would like to see the time on podium as soon as it's no longer on the main scoreboard, because for many cars the time is not their best and that makes it difficult to see what is driven before the podium is complete.

Interesting! Setting aside that one could see all replays on the All Results table, would you behave differently if you could see, let's say, the only two results submitted with a specific car? How so?

Daniel3D

Quote from: dreadnaut on February 11, 2023, 02:05:46 PM
Quote from: Daniel3D on February 11, 2023, 08:11:34 AMI like it to. But I would like to see the time on podium as soon as it's no longer on the main scoreboard, because for many cars the time is not their best and that makes it difficult to see what is driven before the podium is complete.

Interesting! Setting aside that one could see all replays on the All Results table, would you behave differently if you could see, let's say, the only two results submitted with a specific car? How so?
I would inspire me to race. I usually want to know if I can come within +20% of a time.. just knowing that there is a time doesn't give me a target.
Having to search for a time doesn't give me the same feeling.
If the time is visible on the main scoreboard it is easier to see. And feels as middle ground of the two former options.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

dreadnaut

How do you know if you can come within 20% of a time? At that point, wouldn't you have driven a lap already? Would you not send a driven lap, if it's slower that that?

Daniel3D

Quote from: dreadnaut on February 11, 2023, 08:09:34 PMHow do you know if you can come within 20% of a time? ...
I don't know until I try. I am accustomed to not be able to beat a time, so I set a more realistic margin.
Quote from: dreadnaut on February 11, 2023, 08:09:34 PM... At that point, wouldn't you have driven a lap already? Would you not send a driven lap, if it's slower that that?
And I sent a replay regardless of the time. But while driving I like to have a goal. A target time to aim for..
If you look at my sent replays (a rarity in itself) you can see I usually drive cars already driven by others.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

dreadnaut

Understood, thank you for explaining!

For the moment, you can hover the circles that mark the number of replays, and see the times. Eventually I'll come up with a more accessible solution 👍

Daniel3D

Quote from: dreadnaut on February 13, 2023, 07:59:14 PMUnderstood, thank you for explaining!

For the moment, you can hover the circles that mark the number of replays, and see the times. Eventually I'll come up with a more accessible solution 👍
That doesn't work on touch. But thanks. I'll look at it when I'm behind a computer
Edison once said,
---------
---------