News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

STUNTS - NoRH

Started by Daniel3D, April 02, 2023, 08:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel3D

Quote from: Overdrijf on April 06, 2023, 06:47:17 AM*This is going to be a bit of a thing in general. Since the physics were changed there is no version in which you can do RH powered practice runs of a section that are 100% accurate. So the placement of tricky sections in the lap becomes relevant for how quick we'll be to master them. My RH scouting laps are also often just my furthest attempt in the first half hour or so that I extend with RH, I'm going to have to plan these things a bit different going forward.
The difference is not so big that you can't practice in normal gameplay. But you may notice the difference.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Daniel3D

Just found this post...
Quote from: Duplode on January 22, 2009, 08:31:19 PM
Quote from: Cas on January 22, 2009, 06:56:05 AM- A system could be added so that replays were encrypted, allowing Stunts championships to verify if replays were handled or not without needing to record a video (I've already tried to do this once in a different way)

I am a bit skeptical on the possibility of taming/eliminating RH (and the implications of such a deed for game mechanics and competitions), but there's more opinion than fact in my position...
After 14 years  8) it's has happened..

::)
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Daniel3D

Quote from: Daniel3D on April 02, 2023, 10:04:50 PMOne thing from the April fools post is true.
I did analyse the FM Towns version and did use some of it in this release.
For the sharp observers...
No sharp observer's so far... I wonder when someone will find
the Unidentified FM Towns Object... 8)
Edison once said,
---------
---------

KyLiE

I hate to burst the bubble, but what's to stop people from using save states to perform replay handling?

Daniel3D

Quote from: KyLiE on April 17, 2023, 10:52:12 AMI hate to burst the bubble, but what's to stop people from using save states to perform replay handling?
If we are going down that path there will never be a NoRH competition. And no point in me continuing to try to make that possible.

There will always be ways to cheat. The only thing I did was make it an effort to do so.
Something you can't do by accident or out of habit after racing a RH competition.

SO, yeah. I knew. Before I started this whole project, I already considered it.
But should I not do it because there may be some idiot trying this? We know each other well enough for this. There is nothing to be gained, and a lot to risk.
Like Argammon pointed out. Strong pipsqueaks in one competition form are strong in the other as well. So cheating will probably not go unnoticed.

Nobody can claim it was an accident, so cheating is something serious enough to get banned from competition. (zakstunts rules apply).

Lets not worry about cheating until there is reason to do so.
And just enjoy the Racing.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

KyLiE

Quote from: Daniel3D on April 17, 2023, 11:23:26 AMThere will always be ways to cheat. The only thing I did was make it an effort to do so.

The reason I mentioned save states is because they are available in several versions of DOSBox and it takes little to no effort to use them.  It's a matter of transparency, similar to telling someone that you can use traditional replay handling in Stunts when they weren't already aware that was possible.

Daniel3D

Quote from: KyLiE on April 17, 2023, 12:34:51 PM
Quote from: Daniel3D on April 17, 2023, 11:23:26 AMThere will always be ways to cheat. The only thing I did was make it an effort to do so.

The reason I mentioned save states is because they are available in several versions of DOSBox and it takes little to no effort to use them.  It's a matter of transparency, similar to telling someone that you can use traditional replay handling in Stunts when they weren't already aware that was possible.
You just showed Adam the apple tree. Í don't think it was necessary to bring this to our attention this way.
I hope nobody uses it. Would be a nasty experience.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Argammon

Quote from: KyLiE on April 17, 2023, 12:34:51 PM

If transparency is the point, why didn't you inform the community before the race started?

KyLiE

Quote from: Daniel3D on April 17, 2023, 11:23:26 AMI knew. Before I started this whole project, I already considered it.

Quote from: Daniel3D on April 17, 2023, 01:30:07 PMYou just showed Adam the apple tree.

So that means I'm Eve and you're the snake?  Seriously though, I don't know why you're playing the blame game.  When would you prefer for this information to be revealed?  Now, or after a new community member joins the competition and shoots to the top of the scoreboard, causing everyone to question if it's possible to cheat?  I mean, if both of us knew, isn't it likely that so do many others?

If what you say is true, that we trust each other and cheating probably won't go unnoticed, what's the issue?  Carry on with the competition!  I'm not concerned about the currently active community members, I'm concerned about newcomers, like what happened with the DOSReloaded.de fiasco.

Quote from: Argammon on April 17, 2023, 02:02:00 PMIf transparency is the point, why didn't you inform the community before the race started?

I only thought about it today when I was looking at different versions of DOSBox to test the replays that have recently been discussed in the Unstable replays at ZakStunts thread.

Daniel3D

QuoteSo that means I'm Eve and you're the snake?  Seriously though, I don't know why you're playing the blame game.  When would you prefer for this information to be revealed?
I purposely withheld the information because there was an atmosphere of positivity and excitement that I didn't want to spoil without good reason.
Maybe that was wrong. But it saddens me to see it spoiled in this way.

I had hoped for more than 3 days of carefree NoRH..
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Duplode

I see no snakes around me, and Paradise (Stunts Valhalla?) is a long way down the road, so maybe let's unwind this a little.

@KyLiE asked a reasonable question, which in turn has a reasonable answer. Specifics and technicalities aside, it boils down to this: while there's indeed only so much we can do to secure a 30+ year old game being played in a non-networked way, we can make it easier to do the right thing and harder to do the wrong thing. That, plus trying out new approaches to a question as old as competition racing, is all there is to it. There is no cause for alarm, no ominous clouds approaching, and as far as I can tell the atmosphere remains perfectly breathable. Are we good? Is the racetrack open for a drive at this hour in the night?

Overdrijf

Quote from: Daniel3D on April 16, 2023, 05:22:53 PM
Quote from: Daniel3D on April 02, 2023, 10:04:50 PMOne thing from the April fools post is true.
I did analyse the FM Towns version and did use some of it in this release.
For the sharp observers...
No sharp observer's so far... I wonder when someone will find
the Unidentified FM Towns Object... 8)

Is it the default replay?

I never watch that thing, but this version feels particularly incompetent.

Daniel3D

Quote from: Overdrijf on April 19, 2023, 12:57:33 PMIs it the default replay?
Nope that's not it. when you find it you will know without a doubt..  ;)

Edit:
(Because it is taking to long and I can't contain myself 😜)
Hint.: You don't have to do anything special to see it.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Daniel3D

Quote from: alanrotoi on January 29, 2024, 02:54:57 PMPlease let me know if you find any error in the car in general or an easter egg in the dashboard. ;)
Talking about Easter eggs 😎

Did anyone find the Easter egg in the NoRH version yet?

I really did take something from the FM-Towns version and put it in there.

I guess nobody has the patience to wait for it.. 😆
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Daniel3D

• find the Unidentified FM Towns Object..
  • You don't have to do anything special to see it.
  • patience to wait for it..
Edison once said,
---------
---------