News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Combining two tracks into one

Started by mrdries, May 27, 2023, 11:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel3D

Quote from: mrdries on May 30, 2023, 11:50:32 AMA banked road. Don't think it looks as good as the original. But it is kind of fun when you drive over it at high speeds.

In case anyone wants to check:

You cannot view this attachment.
That's funny. This resembles the beta situation IIRC, also stunt driver used this. (Hard Driving as well, maybe 🤔?)
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

mrdries

Thanks.

Yeah, never played Stunt Driver. Thought I had seen it before though. I did love this effect in Outrun.  :)

Here are "tree road blocks". Would look better on a muddy road... though I do love light grey roads. The trees should match the position of road blocks. The green of the trees hinders the  visibility so I think they're quite a bit harder.

mrdries

Still trying some stuff out. I'm not trying to improve upon Stunts. There's nothing like the original. But quite fun as an alternative layout. Never made graphics for a game.

Sometimes part of the polygons are invisible. Not sure why. Here's a wooden loop and a highway with sand and cacti. I wanted to drive in the sand...  :)

Cas

Very interesting, new elements. I have to get that engine thing working so we can mod more
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

llm

QuoteI found the source in the Github. But then I'd have to compile it myself. I'll give that a try.

done that for you: ~6MB, stressed20230602.7z, fresh VS2019 x64 build of the stressed source code, using Qt 5.15.2

https://easyupload.io/pmo3nr

mrdries

Quote from: Cas on June 02, 2023, 03:58:27 AMVery interesting, new elements. I have to get that engine thing working so we can mod more

Thanks!

Would be so cool. I'm sure it's a lot harder than what I'm doing. I guess that if you like the process of deciphering the engine, it may be quite an enjoyable process as well.

If only the physics of the wall or the road surface could be deciphered, it would be ground breaking as well, right? Cause, as I understand it now, we'd just have to copy a GAME.PRE, a GAME1.3SH and a GAME2.3SH file into the Stunts directory and we could have new track elements. We could even have a little program that would do the copying for us. We'd just have to select our track elements and load them. That wouldn't be such a hassle. Not sure you'd do it that way. It just seems easier than to decipher the whole engine all at once. Not sure what to think of it. I guess that if the whole physics engine would be deciphered, you get all the benefits all at once.

mrdries

Quote from: llm on June 02, 2023, 12:43:36 PM
QuoteI found the source in the Github. But then I'd have to compile it myself. I'll give that a try.

done that for you: ~6MB, stressed20230602.7z, fresh VS2019 x64 build of the stressed source code, using Qt 5.15.2

https://easyupload.io/pmo3nr

That's very cool of you! The thing is... I'm still on 32-bit. I'm on a very old bulky laptop. I'm using Stressed 0.2.1 now, which is very cool. Though I'm not sure I'm losing a lot of functionality or not.

Cas

As regards deciphering the physics... if I can make my own or if I can fully understand what the current engine does, then yes, we could add whatever track element we want. Right now, I'm trying to isolate the code, but not much comprehensive analysis is going on there. If that succeeds, we may be able to duplicate or combine physical models, but creating completely new ones would be challenging, so new graphical elements would have to be associated with existing physical models.

llm

Quote from: mrdries on June 02, 2023, 04:01:21 PMI'm using Stressed 0.2.1 now, which is very cool. Though I'm not sure I'm losing a lot of functionality or not.

0.2.1 seems latest so you're not losing anything

mrdries

Quote from: llm on June 02, 2023, 05:58:41 PM
Quote from: mrdries on June 02, 2023, 04:01:21 PMI'm using Stressed 0.2.1 now, which is very cool. Though I'm not sure I'm losing a lot of functionality or not.

0.2.1 seems latest so you're not losing anything

Alrighty. Thanks.

mrdries

Quote from: Cas on June 02, 2023, 04:55:29 PMAs regards deciphering the physics... if I can make my own or if I can fully understand what the current engine does, then yes, we could add whatever track element we want. Right now, I'm trying to isolate the code, but not much comprehensive analysis is going on there. If that succeeds, we may be able to duplicate or combine physical models, but creating completely new ones would be challenging, so new graphical elements would have to be associated with existing physical models.

Sounds great!

Combination of physical models. I guess that means we could combine a gas station and a straight road and drive through it at high speeds.  :)

Daniel3D

You could add (part of) the gas station to the start finish line...
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

mrdries

Quote from: Daniel3D on June 03, 2023, 02:42:31 PMYou could add (part of) the gas station to the start finish line...

Yeah... true!

Like a pit stop. I like that.

mrdries

Here are a few more pics.

Default track as it looks now.

Professional driver... taking his Lamborghini home...

Lovely tree.

Cas