News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Tennis

Started by Shoegazing Leo, February 13, 2004, 01:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoegazing Leo

Guga is the nickname of Gustavo Kuerten
Fininho is the nickname of Fernando Meligeni
Fl?vio Saretta don't have a nick what I know...

CTG

Quote from: Leo Ramone on February 13, 2004, 01:29:04 AM
Guga is the nickname of Gustavo Kuerten
Fininho is the nickname of Fernando Meligeni
Fl?vio Saretta don't have a nick what I know...

Lise is the nickname of Anna Kournikova? ::) ;D

CTG

PoliHelen is the nickname of our (former) beloved tennis "star", Ágnes Szávay ;D

(She was a nice example how to become a crappy player and an antipathic hysterical whore...)

Usrin

Who the hell cares about tennis?

For me, it is the most uninteresting major sport (of course not counting the only-American sports). I will never understand why it became more popular worldwide than water polo, volleyball or anything else.
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

CTG

Quote from: Usrin on September 24, 2014, 10:30:50 AM
Who the hell cares about tennis?

For me, it is the most uninteresting major sport (of course not counting the only-American sports). I will never understand why it became more popular worldwide than water polo, volleyball or anything else.

Sure, it's a crappy one. But some tennis chicks are HOT. ;D

Chulk

Popularity is not only about a sport being interesting or fun to watch. It has a lot to do with the possibilities weather, facilities and price allow. For instance, I find Figure Skating really interesting to watch ("gay!" shouts from CTG come from the back of the room) but living in a city where snow was a one-time thing (2 actually in whole history, 1 during my lifetime) and having no frozen lakes or anything, it's complicated for people to practice. Football, on the other side, only requires some round-ish object that is soft enough to be kicked and some space (grass, streets, even big saloons work when you're a kid).
It is also related to successful sportpeople born in a certain country. Take grass hockey here, for a clear example on how a successful generation of girls quickly made it popular by always being at least in Semi's eveytime.

Here in Argentina, popularity goes Football -> Basketball (specially after Manu Ginobili and the "Golden generation" -> Tennis (after Vilas and later Sabatini) -> Rugby (after that huge 5th place in '99) -> Grass hockey (specially female, with the birth of the original "Leonas").

Voleyball (a sport I personally love!) world cup barely got to be broadcasted in cable TV here, on a station that never had anything to do with Voleyball, just because (and they said so) nobody bought it, in the end it was really cheap so they bet on it

Water polo is really boring for me, same as handball (which I played a lot in school), GOLF (worst sport ever) and a really long list.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

alanrotoi

Another sport that there are deluxe teams here is Polo but it's not a popular sport. In fact Argentina is the most world cup winner.

PS: and two golden medals when it was an olympic sport.

CTG

Schweinsteiger skids Ana Ivanovic. ::) >:(

Chulk

Quote from: CTG on February 11, 2015, 03:27:14 PM
Schweinsteiger skids Ana Ivanovic. ::) >:(
One more reason to admire/hate Schweiny
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)