News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Dissecting the Stunts files, trying to. Anyone know more?

Started by Cyberman, July 23, 2004, 08:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark L. Rivers

Great work!  8)

Anyway... I still don't know how it's possible modify the cockpit with stressed....  ::)

Chulk

Nice work Dstein! Simply great! Now, if someone could post a simple "How to" to modify the external look of cars, I'd really appreciate it.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Duplode

Quote from: Mark L. Rivers on October 08, 2008, 06:02:29 PM
Anyway... I still don't know how it's possible modify the cockpit with stressed....  ::)

To edit a dashboard (or any other bitmap resource) you have to open the *.PVS/*.VSH with stressed, locate the relevant bitmap on the resource list and export it. Then, open the .PNG with an appropriate editor, preferably one good enough to handle indexed bitmaps properly, so you don't have to worry about using colours which don't exist in Stunts. GIMP or Photoshop should suffice. Once the editing is done, reopen the resource file in stressed and import the .PNG back to its place.

Quote from: Chulk on October 08, 2008, 06:08:41 PM
Now, if someone could post a simple "How to" to modify the external look of cars, I'd really appreciate it.

I could try to make a short summary later on...

---

Here are shots from a preliminary study of GT3 future looks. I rescaled the showroom ZR1 model to adequate proportions so I could have more control over colour schemes and from there adjusted the paint jobs so it looks less like a regular model. Fancier stuff like wings and such might come later on eventually. Please tell me how you like this test - and particularly whether all the tiny details inherited from the larger car model look too bad on this resolution.

Mark L. Rivers

Quote from: Duplode on October 09, 2008, 04:46:35 AM
Quote from: Mark L. Rivers on October 08, 2008, 06:02:29 PM

To edit a dashboard (or any other bitmap resource) you have to open the *.PVS/*.VSH with stressed, locate the relevant bitmap on the resource list and export it. Then, open the .PNG with an appropriate editor, preferably one good enough to handle indexed bitmaps properly, so you don't have to worry about using colours which don't exist in Stunts. GIMP or Photoshop should suffice. Once the editing is done, reopen the resource file in stressed and import the .PNG back to its place.

Thanks very much, Duplode!  :)

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on October 09, 2008, 04:46:35 AM

Can you change the shape of the steering wheel? It would be really cool to create a real Knight Rider car is Stunts. All we need is a tuned Corvette:

- black body
- running red lights at the front of the car (if the mills can "move", maybe some car elements also can - if not, there's still the possibility to put a thick red line)
- modified steering wheel
- several buttons on the dashboard, like Turbo Boost and SPM

Mark L. Rivers

A question for dstien: upgrading the number of polygons related at shapes car1 and car2 (used during the race) can affect the fluidness of the game?

Krys TOFF

To modify a car shape, we need to modify the 3 "car" elements ?
I'd like to have a tutorial too, I don't know which polygon is what on the car. Maybe I should change color of each polygon to see what I do. I'll try tonight.

Mark L. Rivers

Quote from: Krys TOFF on October 09, 2008, 05:31:18 PM
To modify a car shape, we need to modify the 3 "car" elements ?
I'd like to have a tutorial too, I don't know which polygon is what on the car. Maybe I should change color of each polygon to see what I do. I'll try tonight.

car0 is the car you see in showroom (choice of the car);
car1 is the car you see during the race with F2 - F3 - F4 keys;
car2 is the car you see during the race with F2 - F3 - F4 keys from very far distances;

And yes, to know which polygon you are changing, you have to see the polygon that becomes coloured in violet.

Double click on the cell where is written "Polygon x" (where x is the number of vertex) permits you to add vertex (no way to delete one or more vertex) or modify the type of element (particle, polygon, sphere, wheel).

Right click on the same cell to move polygon in the list, duplicate a polygon, insert a new polygon.

I hope you are now more able to tune your F1 car...  ;)

dstien

Nice work Mark and Duplode! The renewed interest in Stunts modding motivated me to continue introducing bugs. I'll put up a new binary "soon". :)
For Duplode and others following SVN, Google now has Atom feeds for project updates.

Quote from: CTG on October 09, 2008, 09:08:11 AM
Can you change the shape of the steering wheel?
The steering wheel is just a bitmap image that you can replace with anything you want, but I think the blue indicator will still move along a fixed arc.

Quote from: CTG on October 09, 2008, 09:08:11 AM
- running red lights at the front of the car (if the mills can "move", maybe some car elements also can - if not, there's still the possibility to put a thick red line)
Cars can't have animations except for the hardcoded wheel transformations.

Quote from: Mark L. Rivers on October 09, 2008, 03:46:02 PM
A question for dstien: upgrading the number of polygons related at shapes car1 and car2 (used during the race) can affect the fluidness of the game?
I haven't done any heavy testing, but it should only depend on the amount of available CPU cycles. If the framerate is ok when racing against an opponent with two official vehicles on the screen, there shouldn't be any difference using one vehicle with twice the amount of details. Another factor in addition to the number of polygons is the culling parameters that we haven't figured out yet...

Quote from: Krys TOFF on October 09, 2008, 05:31:18 PM
I don't know which polygon is what on the car.
A shade of red is added to selected polygons, but this simple highlighting fails on small details or surfaces that are already coloured red. Drag the mouse combined with right/left/middle/right+left buttons to rotate and translate the 3d view on different axes.

CTG

Strange... I modified a single polygon's color, saved the file and Stunts was frozen when I tried to use the car.

dstien

Quote from: CTG on October 10, 2008, 12:20:33 AM
Strange... I modified a single polygon's color, saved the file and Stunts was frozen when I tried to use the car.
Stressed doesn't compress saved files. Did you rename it accordingly with the .3SH extension instead of .P3S?

CTG

Quote from: dstien on October 10, 2008, 01:23:03 AM
Quote from: CTG on October 10, 2008, 12:20:33 AM
Stressed doesn't compress saved files. Did you rename it accordingly with the .3SH extension instead of .P3S?

That happens if I don't follow the instructions, just download the stressed... ;D

CTG

Okay, this topic is quite long to read: the way of editing a car is, for example in the case of Lada Niva...

1, open the stlm00.p3s file
2, do the modifications with the Stressed program
3, save the file as stlm00.3sh? Or shall I totally rename it?

dstien

Quote from: CTG on October 10, 2008, 01:51:13 AM
Use stlm00.3sh and move the old file out of the way. If not, Stunts will just load the original file. If you rename it entirely you'll have to rename the other files used by the car as well + editing the tuning file.

CTG

Quote from: dstien on October 10, 2008, 01:55:22 AM
Quote from: CTG on October 10, 2008, 01:51:13 AM
Use stlm00.3sh and move the old file out of the way. If not, Stunts will just load the original file. If you rename it entirely you'll have to rename the other files used by the car as well + editing the tuning file.

Aaaaaah I see. Thanks! ;) (it's always easier to ask than read ;D)