News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

dosreloaded.de Jahrescontest 2023 (competition!)

Started by alanrotoi, February 03, 2023, 08:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

An update: after I posted, just for fun, a GIF version of that track limits edge case image to the competition thread, mooh (who is not the competition manager) suggested that should not be valid, arguing for an all-wheels-on-track interpretation of the no shortcuts rule. Some of the forum regulars there were very unhappy about the ensuing discussion about rules, to the point we felt with little choice but to step back from the contest in order to avoid further escalation.

Though not all of the forum regulars there see the situation in the same way, I feel a disconnect of sorts with those that resented the events. I respect disliking rule-lawyering, and wanting to have a casual contest just for fun with your mates. However, clear-cut and equitable rules are part of what makes a contest fun to me. You don't have to bring out the unabridged 3rd edition of the GAR Handbook, or to disqualify casual participants for understeering off the track in a tricky corner. All that is needed is a predictable interpretation of the rules with reasonably uniform strictness. Otherwise you risk having some people walking on eggshells not being fully sure of what is valid, and some other people working nonstop to find loopholes and twist the interpretation to their own liking.

Cas

I'm under the impression that this is a case like many I've come across in my life, in which a person or a group of persons feels attacked when a change in the way they've been doing things is presented, let alone proposed. They tend to feel this as an imposition. Humans naturally dislike impositions whether the idea is good or bad and will have a bias towards rejection unless they find that most of their peers support the new idea, in which case, they're more likely to follow suit.

When you're completely new and arrive at, say, ZakStunts, never having been on a Stunts tournament, you're a single person and you arrive at the system instead of the other way around, so you tend to accept it, like we've all done, because it doesn't feel imposed, even though it's the same rules.

I hope the folks at dosreloaded.de can understand that imposition has never been an intention. I've known this community for a very long time and I wouldn't be here if it weren't quite the contrary from an imposing kind. I regret that our contact hasn't gone as well as we imagined. We here are actually happy that another community exists that shares with us something as unique and not easy to find as love for Stunts. Knowing of their existence, how could we possibly not have wanted to establish contact and try to strengthen ties?

Have you guys watched the movie "Arrivals"?  Anyway :)
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.