News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

No Wheels issue

Started by alanrotoi, June 11, 2022, 05:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanrotoi

Did you try a car without wheels? It looks the same just floating without wheels... but if you turn the stearing wheel to the sides a number of polygons breakes and moves with your commands. Specifically not polygons but vertices. There are more than 4 and maybe it doesn't takes the first four polygons replacing the wheels there is something more. If we could control this I think it would be useful for non conventional cars maybe a more realistic use for trailers or moving parts of cars and any type of vehicle.

Daniel3D

It is difficult to control, I think. Because it is not consistent.
One of the DSI cars doesn't have the wheels as first objects even.
Still, the steering goes perfect.
I think the location of the vertices has something to do with it as well.

But a nice example was made several years ago by Overdrive.
http://forum.stunts.hu/index.php?topic=2913.msg56648#msg56648

(yeah, I basically read the whole forum before I first posted during the first pandemic lockdown in 2020) ::)
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

alanrotoi

Oh yes, now I remember watching the video!

Cas

Ha, ha... yes, I remembered the same video and saw that Daniël had already posted about it :P
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Overdrijf

Thanks, I was going to post that as well. :D

Looks like that thread doesn't have the final video linked for easy viewing. So I'll link it here.

I think I maybe did some short experiments afterwards with making the first four vertices like the rudders on an airboat or something, but if I did it was unsuccesfull enough to put the idea back in the box. I do agree though, with proper experimentation we should be able to do something cool with this concept.

(The other main trick in that video is replacing the visual object of ice roads with the grass model, in case you're wondering after seeing it.)

Daniel3D

I think that for the movement animation to work the vertices have to be in the front (half) of the car.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)