News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

ZR1 GT3 Mark II

Started by Duplode, January 24, 2008, 07:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

(original subject was "GT3 Mark II is released!". The version of the car on this first post is outdated, scroll down to here to find a newer one with updated graphics)

Here it is, the LWT-ZR1 GT3 Mark II, an updated version of the non-IMSA race car... The novelties are listed below:

• First of all, Chulk's proposed rechristening as Vette GT3 or GT3 MkII is now recognised as official nicknames   :)
  • Most important change: The old Corvette-derived V8 has given place to a modern V10, licensed and lifted straight from the BMW M5... ;) The new torque curve is shifted about 1000rpm to the right, resulting in much better sync with the 6-speed gearbox. A side effect is the GT3 is now quite a bit faster (about 3 seconds on Default short-way), but nevertheless it is still beaten on straights by IMSA cars.
  • Gear ratios were slightly tuned in order to take the most advantage of the new torque curve (1st to 4th are somewhat shorter, 6th is a tad longer)
  • Car mass was raised a bit as well, in order to curb performance levels (regulament issues, you know...)
  • Brake effectiveness had a small improvement as well, allowing for a tiny bit more aggresivity. Note that car adhesion remains unchanged, however...
  • And last, but not least: accurate analog speedometer and rev meters.

Although the GT3 has gotten through beta stage, feedback is still very appreciated!  :)

Krys TOFF

I wanna keep the previous one, and I think it's better to give another "short name" (the 4 letters used to recognize the car in Zak's web RPLInfo, see here) for this new car : ZGT3 instead of LWZR for example. this way, the 2 cars exists and are both recognized.
Anyway, where is your post with the original version of your car ? I can't find it back, did you erased it from the forum ?

Duplode

Krys: suggestion accepted, I had not considered RPLINFO, and didn't thought there would be demand for the MkI  :) Since there was one download before yours (Chulk, I presume?), a visible warning is needed: be sure to have the most recent car pack with *ZGT3 filenames, in order to avoid future troubles with RPLINFO.
Speaking of the old version, you can find it here.

PS.: Does anybody know how to change the car position in the "car selection" screen? I did it for the original GTC MkI (it doesn't appear alongside with the Corvette and Knight Rider), but I forgot how; and the filename reverted it to "normal" position.

Krys TOFF

Position depends of the "4 letters name". As new one starts with a Z, it will be the last car. If you installed Zapper's cars and then have too much cars in your list, then it may not be available. Then another possibility is to name files *LGT3* instead of *ZGT3*. ;)
According to the number of available cars, best is to have 2 Stunts installed if you want to race them all.
For example, I have 1 install with shitty cars (Niva comeback, Knight Rider or other un-realistic like that) and Zapper's cars, and another one with all the other tuned cars (Melange, ...).

Duplode

Thanks, very dumb of me not to notice that   :)  Anyway, one wonder why DSI alphabet starts from 'C'(ountach) instead of A... Nevertheless, I won't upload the files for the 3rd time, ZGT3 sounds pretty nice for an abbreviation actually.

Mark L. Rivers

Finally I tested the new car! Good improvement, Duplode! I like very much the gear-ratio (even if maybe the 1st gear is a bit long) and the acceleration. About the grip, well... as you know I like cars that permit a higher speed in curve. I think LWT-ZR1 GT3 Mark II could be defined the opposite car of Speedgate XSD, above all approaching the curves: while Speedgate permits to brake just before to enter in the curves, GT3 needs to prepare them in advance, calculating in very precise way the entrance, and being then very careful with the steering. I think that who loves the long sounds of the slides (as Corvette, Ferrari and Countach need) will love this car too. ;)  Maybe I won't be between the lovers of this car, just due to the low grip, but... GT3 includes my name, and so... how couldn't it be a charmed car for me...? ;)

Duplode

Quote from: Mark L. Rivers on February 01, 2008, 09:00:41 PM

Finally I tested the new car! Good improvement, Duplode! I like very much the gear-ratio (even if maybe the 1st gear is a bit long) and the acceleration. About the grip, well... as you know I like cars that permit a higher speed in curve. I think LWT-ZR1 GT3 Mark II could be defined the opposite car of Speedgate XSD, above all approaching the curves: while Speedgate permits to brake just before to enter in the curves, GT3 needs to prepare them in advance, calculating in very precise way the entrance, and being then very careful with the steering. I think that who loves the long sounds of the slides (as Corvette, Ferrari and Countach need) will love this car too. ;)  Maybe I won't be between the lovers of this car, just due to the low grip, but... GT3 includes my name, and so... how couldn't it be a charmed car for me...? ;)

Thanks for the appreciation of Mark II, Mark! ;) Those ratios really were a delicate balance, keeping the gear changes tight while keeping fluent acceleration on higher gears and not getting a undesirably fast 0-60 score. Anyway, the long 1st gear still shows some of the GTO genes, even after the rather radical reprofiling of the torque curve  :). And finally, the Speedgate parallel crossed my mind too, it's funny how their top speeds (on flat track and with jumps) are so similar... 

Duplode

CTG's progress with Melange motivated me to finally resume working on the GT3. For the 3D shape, I plan to diverge little from the original Corvette shape, as conceptually the GT3 is just a racing modification of the original car. Here are stressed screenshots of the current design for your appreciation (I still have to fix quite a lot of stuff with a 3D modeller, so don't be afraid of making radical suggestions  ;)). I can't promise when the GT3 will be re-released, since I'll need more stamina to try my hand at a new dashboard, but it will be finished eventually  :)

zaqrack

Chulk

Nice design! You can totally see it's a Corvette, but tuned for racing. I like the green version a lot!
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Duplode

After looking a bit more at the test model I had done, I realized waiting for when I would have more stamina to finish would mean another year or so, thus I decided to rush and finish the GT3 for good, and here it is... There were some cosmetic changes performed on the .RES, but the new car is still compatible with any older GT3 replays you might have. Just remember to delete STDAZGT3.PVS, STDBZGT3.PVS and STZGT3.P3S if you had the older version installed, otherwise the new graphics won't load. Hope you'll like it  :)