News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Replays = art?

Started by BonzaiJoe, December 30, 2007, 04:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BonzaiJoe

I've always found a really good replay to give the same satisfaction as a piece of art. The expression of creativity, craftsmanship and perfection in a reasonably aesthetical environment seems to constitute art for me. When watching other people's really good replays, I can feel inspired or thrilled, but it will never be as good as watching my own replays :P  I'm self-centered and love to watch my own replays, provided they are good. Then it gives the same pride and satisfaction as reading something I've written or listening to my songs. Once again, only if it's good. Sometimes, I drive a replay and can then really enjoy watching it, until someone else does a faster replay, and thereby points out mistakes in my replay. Then it has lost its perfection, and its creativity perhaps also fades in the light of the other replay...

How do you feel about this? Are replays art? Is racing artistry?
But we can't be quite sure.

Chulk

I found some replays artistic, it doesn't matter if they really good. For example, I consider a replay artistic if I see something unexpected or really amazing. If it's a ISA rules reaply, I'm never shocked by that replay, even if it's perfect. But an insane shortcut is art, even if another way is faster than that shortcut (or should it be a longcut?). But of course my replays always have a plus compared to others, I agree with you in that point.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

zaqrack

of course replays are art! Often when I do a nice jump or a shortcut, which is not the fastest way around, but looks good, I leave my replay that way - and I always watch my finished replays. A beautiful replay is worth more for me than a place on the podium.

CTG

For me, it's not about art - being a result oriented pipsqueak. Replays are numbers and the lower number wins. That's all.

Finding a new trick? It's luck. Combining crazy tricks? Waste of time.

Duplode

Replay construction is artistic. Actually, that's, for me, a crucial driving force to race with RH - plan, perform watch and enjoy...

CTG

Maybe that's why I'm only fast, but not tricky.