News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Airplanes

Started by CTG, November 02, 2011, 09:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTG

Boooooo!!! MiG-29 is the best! ;D

Chulk

Tomcat is simply great. I just love the way it's wings change their position when flying at high speeds. My favourite American plane ('Top Gun' had a little to do with me liking it too). 3º in my list of favourite planes.
Fulcrum is amazing. The plane I love the most. Don't know exactly why, but I just love it!

And since you posted Tomcat's (3º) and Fulcrum's (1º) pics, I'll post the other one I love and that ranks 2º on my list. I guess you can guess which one it is from the pics

Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Komeuppance

An F14 keeping up with a Mig 28 armed with Exocet missles can do a 4g negative dive... inverted.

-Robert

Chulk

Quote from: Komeuppance on January 15, 2013, 01:11:04 AM
An F14 keeping up with a Mig 28 armed with Exocet missles can do a 4g negative dive... inverted.

-Robert
;D
I like planes for how they look like, not specially for what they can do. Anyway, here's a site I visit every once in a while...

http://www.combataircraft.com/

Komeuppance

I was quoting lines from Top Gun... lol.  (There's no such thing as a Mig-28)  One of the greatest movies of all time!!

-Robert

Chulk

Quote from: Komeuppance on January 15, 2013, 05:54:58 PM
I was quoting lines from Top Gun... lol.  (There's no such thing as a Mig-28)  One of the greatest movies of all time!!

-Robert
I know, but doesn't he do that against an F-4 phantom?

Komeuppance

They were F5's.  F4's were great looking craft but outdated by the mid 80's.

-Robert

Chulk

True, I remembered now.

CTG

I remember a good old joke about airplanes (sorry for the bad translation):

A Jumbo is flying together with a Tomcat and a MiG-29. The pilots are bored, so they start to mock eachother: which airplane is better. The two fighters - competing with eachother - start to show unbelievable tricks in the air.

"Hey, you fat whale, can you do this?" - asks the MiG guy from the Jumbo's pilot.

"Oh, I have even better tricks! Just move farther a bit and watch." - comes the answer.

The fighters move away and watch the Jumbo, but nothing happens in the next 30 minutes.

"Hey, what are you doing? We couldn't see anything!" - roars the MiG pilot.

A self satisfied voice answers from the Jumbo:

"Let's see... I switched on the AP, ate a sandwich, went to toilet, took a crap and afterwards... well... do you know our blonde stewardess with huge boobs? I fucked her in the load area."

CTG

Considering the altitude dependence of sound barrier (~1050-1100 kmh at airliner's altitude) and the specifications of Airbus A330, I start to doubt the flightradar24 speed data published for the estimation game. However, the radar always shows some bigger airplanes (A330, A340, A380; B747, B777) beyond 1050 kmh. Experts will be asked about it.

Chulk

A320 cruising speed is around 850km/h (I remember this info from my flight a month ago. A330 is probably a bit over that but not that much, around 900km/h I guess...

CTG

Quote from: Chulk on January 21, 2013, 04:17:10 PM
A320 cruising speed is around 850km/h (I remember this info from my flight a month ago. A330 is probably a bit over that but not that much, around 900km/h I guess...

A330: ~0.9 Mach as a specification, but I guess they are able to fly faster (0.96 for A380). But not breaking the sound barrier...

Chulk

They can probably do it, but most likely the stay on their cruise speed as long as possible (fuel usage is supposed to be the lowest at that point) to cheapen every flight...

CTG

Quote from: Chulk on January 21, 2013, 11:26:45 PM
They can probably do it, but most likely the stay on their cruise speed as long as possible (fuel usage is supposed to be the lowest at that point) to cheapen every flight...

Unless it's an intercontinental flight where every 10 minutes count.

Usrin

Quote from: CTG on January 21, 2013, 03:31:16 PM
Considering the altitude dependence of sound barrier (~1050-1100 kmh at airliner's altitude) and the specifications of Airbus A330, I start to doubt the flightradar24 speed data published for the estimation game. However, the radar always shows some bigger airplanes (A330, A340, A380; B747, B777) beyond 1050 kmh. Experts will be asked about it.

Flightradar24 probably shows ground speed, while the capabilities of an airplane limit the air speed. 150 km/h winds are not unusual at cruising altitude, so an air speed of 900 km/h in tailwind can easily mean ground speed of 1050 km/h.
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.